Am I Doing This Right? Day 22 of First Grow; LST Help

tronN00dles

"tron"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Cheese XXL by Dinafem
Hi everybody,

First time poster and grower here. Today is Day 22 of my Northern Lights Auto I currently have growing in a closet. I started LST today and I've attached a picture below. I'm hoping you folks could give me a few pointers/comments/critiques on anything you see.

But first, an overview of my setup:

Strain - Northern Lights Auto (qty = 1)
Growing medium - Fox Farm Happy Frog, 25-30% Perlite
Pot/Drainage - 3gal fabric pot resting on stones in a plastic saucer; turkey baster used remove runoff
Lights - 1x 135W Quantum Board LED by HLG
Light Cylce - 20/4
Lux - 35,000-45,000 presently
Temperature - 25C/77F when light is on; 18C/65F when light is off*
Humidity - 65-70% in seedling phase; been reducing 5% every week. Currently at 50-55%.
Nutrients - Nothing for first 2 weeks; 1/2 of suggested dose for light vegetation of GH Flora Trio at day 15; 1/2 suggested dose for aggressive vegetation at day 20
Water - Tap water, pH 7.0. Watered/fed every 48-60 hours, approximately 2L/0.5gal each time.
Tent - 20" x 36" x 60"
Exhaust - 4" inline fan and carbon fliter
Ventilation - 2x clip-on 4" fans

Anyway, I think overall it's going okay. A little short and the leaves show some drooping, especially a little before/after the lights come on. But otherwise, she's a nice shade of green. Here she is at day 22:

20200314_090856.jpg

A few issues I encountered along the way:
1. Initially over-watered in the seedling stage (I pretty much treated the seed like a full grown plant!)
2. Low temps when light is off (I live in a very, very cold environment). I pretty much rely on the light for heat. I tried a little space heater but I couldn't keep the humidity up while using it.
3. Excessive wind in the first two weeks
4. Had the light too far away between days 7-14.

I think each of those issues stunted it's height a bit, but live and learn I suppose!

Anyway, I just started LST (no topping, too scared). But I really don't know if I'm doing this right. Is the main stem supposed to be vertical as it exits the soil, then I bend it to be be relatively horizontal? What I've done here is pretty much put it on a diagonal:

20200314_102404.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

tronN00dles

Last edited:
There are many forms of training for pot plants … if this beautiful plant was mine all I would do is a small pinch (super crop) near the top of the main stem. Wouldn't even bend after pinching … this would result in 3-5 tops … may have to pinch the same stem a second and third time over a couple days …

Easier than super cropping would be to pony tail the center leaves for about 8 hrs a day for 3-4 days … this would make your plant create additional tops. I would probably use this technique rather than super cropping due to the density of your leaves … good example in this thread … https://www.autoflower.org/threads/mephisto-grow.48511/#post-940204

Although it's a happy plant you stunted it slightly, probably from over watering and if you need heat run the light 24/7 … if
:pass:

Last edited:
There are many forms of training for pot plants … if this beautiful plant was mine all I would do is a small pinch (super crop) near the top of the main stem. Wouldn't even bend after pinching … this would result in 3-5 tops … may have to pinch the same stem a second and third time over a couple days … Although it's a happy plant you stunted it slightly, probably from over watering and if you need heat run the light 24/7 …
:pass:

Thanks Chester,

I'll definitely look into super cropping. If I decide to do that in the next 24 hours, but keep it bent until then, will it recover? Or should I get the ties off ASAP if I'm considering super cropping. Also, can having an inconsistent lighting schedule negatively impact the lady? i.e., I've been running 20/4 for 3 weeks now, could changing to 24/0 hurt her at all? In fact, I told myself the next time I grow an auto I'll run a 24/0 schedule; just not sure about changing part way through. But I don't know of any reason why I shouldn't at this point.

Really appreciate it bud!

Cheers,

tronN00dles

U should put a support at the base pulling back the other way = less stress on the roots.

If your seed is from a quality vendor there should be no problem changing your light schedule … I change mine frequently throughout a grow. If you're growing for the harvest I would remove the bend and encourage the plant to stand upright. If you're growing to learn how to bend pot plants then leave it in place … you may need to add CalMag to you nutrients soon … week three is when Calcium problems show up … I add it automatically rather than wait and fight it the rest of the grow … there are many opinions on LST … most are correct … I aim for medium sized bushes when I train a plant …
:vibe:

hi growbro you seem to be ticking all the boxes and your girl looks great but as @Mizzo81 said you should of put a support but if she seems ok just leave her now and let her recover and i wish lots of success growing your own weed but i warn you this hobby gets addictive

hi growbro you seem to be ticking all the boxes and your girl looks great but as @Mizzo81 said you should of put a support but if she seems ok just leave her now and let her recover and i wish lots of success growing your own weed but i warn you this hobby gets addictive
Haha yeah I enjoy it just as much as the end product.

Thanks for the tips everybody.

I think I'm going to stick with the LST for this round, but I have added a support in the other direction at the bottom. Looks good. Next time around I'm going to look into topping or super-cropping I think. I'm also switching to a 24/0 light cycle starting tonight and I'll start supplementing with some Cal-Mag very soon.

If anyone else has any comments feel free to chime in.

Peace,

tronN00dles

Back