New Grower Auto Jack 47... my first grow

400wsmoothieking

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
So this is it.... All of my hopes and dreams have finally come true, I have set up a closet grow.:D: I got a 250w hps that I am going to use from start to finish. I have 3 40w 2700k and 2 55w 2700k cfl bulbs for side lighting if needed. I am using hyponex potting soil with 2 tbls bone meal added per 10in pot. Im not sure how much a ten inch pot holds so if anyone could tell me that would be cool, either way im sure they are big enough for some nice sized plants. I have panda plastic to seal the closet once my fan and carbon filter arrive. Havent ordered it yet but i will within the next week or so. to be honest i havent even recieved my seeds yet but they should be here anyday now, hopefully tomorrow. I just had to share my excitement and i wanted to get some feed back about my setup, is 250w hps enough for 5 auto jack 47s? Are 10in pots big enough? and is there anything i am missing? I am waiting on my zipper door, and seeds, i dont have a humidity temp checker? Yet. But thats just a trip to walmart away. I want to check my soils ph before i plant because i dont know how the bone meal will have affected the soil. I think thats pretty much it for now.... Thanks for reading.... This ones for yall... Ill post a few pics in a second once i figure it out.

Hi smoothie what fan are you using? And what is the closet area? 10 sq. inch is easily big enough for a grow with a 250W light i would say. I use that pot size (holds about 7 ltrs of soil) on my main grow and the plants can grow up to 1.5m tall no problem. I also have a 150W micro grow in a small cabinet 28" wide x 15" deep x 32" tall and I need a cooltube to keep the temperature in a decent range (northern european climate). So I would give that some thought, the smaller the grow area the higher the temperature will be.

Good luck man!

Thanks man, I have a small clip fan for now, the closet is 7x2x8 or 107sqft, I am going to be ordering a 6in 440cfm fan filter combo for odor/ ventilation within the next ten days, until then I plan to just keep the closet open, I would post pictures but all I have is touch screens that won't let me drag the pics, is there any way around this? So you think that 5 plants in the 10in pots will work out ok? I don't want my yield to suffer because of over crowding.

Last edited:
OK your grow area is larger than i expected... I have a closet that's 3' x 8' more or less (86cm x 2.5m) and it's my main flowering room, so it's similar, would be nice to see a pic to be sure i got this right! I don't know how those touch screens work sorry. I have 2x 600W lights on A-wing reflectors in there, it got too hot this summer though and next summer i will use cooltubes. Personally I would go with at least 400W HPS if possible, if i understand the room measurements right. I'd like to know what others say on that tho.

I grew 21 Think Different from start to finish in in that space. 3 rows of 7 in 7 ltr pots and there was no overcrowding, just a nice sea of green. Yield was good, 1kg or 53g per plant. I'm sure I could have got the same yield with less plants but the SOG approach filled out the space real well. it's question of technique but 5-7 is a good amount for your room, in my opinion.

forgot to mention that the Think Differents only grew to about 60cm tall and that's how they were able to fit into that space so nicely. with taller plants it would have been a problem. how tall does the Jack 47 get?

Sweet seeds says the j47auto grows between 50 and 120cm if i remember correctly. My closet is long and skinny, i could really put two 400w, one on either side, and probably 20 or 25 plants, but that would be more work and money than i want to invest, i havent kept track but all together i have probably spent $400 and my wife isnt exactly thrilled. Hopefully i will have a successful harvest and will be able to make a few upgrades but for now im rocking the 250. The 13th my tracking said the seeds where in new york so hopefully they will be in the mail tomorrow, how did the think differents smoke? I am hoping the j47 will prove to be high grade

pics

The black think is the panda plastic covering my closet door, I'll post more later, for now there isn't much to see.

Attachments

• 20130818_161346.jpg
    20130818_161346.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20130818_161330.jpg
    20130818_161330.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 44
the smoke has good, lemony smell and a good taste. better than the WW I grew before but not in the same class as a good haze. I'm growing it again next grown because it grows the perfect size for my grow space and I suspect that I can get a more consistent harvest... trying to guess how much various strains of photosenstives will stretch is quite tricky... I could try and perfect it but i can't afford the costs of experiments that go wrong these days :S

I never grew under a 250W, post some pictures of your progress please! You will have to keep them pretty close to the light, a 400W would really be better but we all have to do the best with the resources we got. My friend grew two plants under a 150W and got about 90g, a good harvest for the wattage, he was very skilled though! I think you'll do ok, only hint i would give is to to cover that carpet with something if possible, if it gets wet it could provide a good home for bugs maybe?

Thanks for the advice, I'll make covering the carpet a priority, no progress except a zipper down the panda plastic. Seeds went thru customs the 13th so they should be here any day. Until then i am at a stand still. Well i also got a tornado fan to help keep temps down until i can order the carbon filter fan combo. Testing today temps never got above 80f. Once the carbon filter n fan arrive the grow should stay at a nice 72f, the same as the house. im going to have to check out the td sounds interesting, i am aiming for 1/2 g per watt, it should happen unless i run into some major issues... I really got to check the soil ph, what would be the easiest way to do this? I think i have all my bases covered...

this morning

Here is the setup, I butchered a kiddy pool to keep the carpet dry, hopefully the seeds arrive today, I checked out the think different, very nice, seems like a very promising strain. I may have to grow that on next. Smokey, do you run a carbon filter with a cool hood? Could I run both off one fan or would I have to run two fans? The reason I ask is because I am worried about electrical hazards, I already burnt up an outlet with some cfls... My bad, looking back I see your running the a wing reflectors, seems like a very impressive setup, I would love a yield like that

Attachments

• 20130820_093000.jpg
    20130820_093000.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 51
Back