Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

I always spray my plants at the same time every day as the lights go out. So good call on that mate.
With STS they should be good for 5 - 7 days. But I'm gonna follow this schedule --> spray, wait two days, spray, wait two days, .... That way I have one day to see how they react and they have another day to recover before I attack it again with another dose. I'm still pondering if I should raise the dosage already. Let's say in small increments. ie, from 1/15 to 1/13. What do you say Sawney?

You may have less seedlings now but what you make will be far superior quality now the runts have been removed.
That's the idea behind it. I'm not just pollen chucking, well I am because I'm still learning. But I do want to do it the right way, so all that don't make the cut will be culled. We'll see what we're left with...:goodluck:
Also today I went a bit crazy with the picture taking, so...please enjoy :thanks:
1651672636594_small.jpg

1651672636601_small.jpg

1651672636606_small.jpg

I'm not making life easy on these men. The humidity in my lung room sits around 40% now...so these seedlings will have to do their best to get through this Vikingrun. :naughtystep::tang::wall::muahaha::joy:
1651672636614_small.jpg

Also temperature wise they are sitting in a "hot" environment. Hot air from the three cobs above (150 real Watts) is pushed downwards in the direction of the seedlings by the fans.
1651672636621_small.jpg

The only thing I'm not doing is overwatering them. Rather on the contrary, they get 200ml of water each day given via the tray. Both trays have 6 seedlings in them so that 1.2L of water every day and still the soil doesn't look overly saturated.
1651672636635_small.jpg

Soon I'll have to rewrite the cards. Again I've fallen into the trap of using the wrong sharpie color for the name cards. The UV in the blurple cob fades the ink so fast... amazing!!
1651672636643_small.jpg

This one is still looking ok. Those first real leaves got damaged when I was removing the seed casing...
1651672636651_small.jpg

Don't know about this one. Although he is creating the necessary nodes they are still very close together.
1651672636655_small.jpg

The first pollen sacs are starting to open. So before removing the branch I sprayed it with some water so that this pollen wouldn't go flying around. There will probably have been some pollen that got away. ie, by the ventilation or me opening the tent. But that is hereby reduced to a bare minimum.
1651672636911_small.jpg

The branch is now sitting in a glass of water with 2ml H2O2 12% added to that. The bark of the branch is scraped off and a split is made all to optimize the absorption of water. The leaves are left on so the plant still has some carbohydrates to rely upon until it has released it's pollen. Which shouldn't be that long now.
1651672636922_small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Looking good mate. The small male you are referring to may just be "indica" heavy and slow to grow. I say give it a chance as I see this a lot. To be honest I'm not sure about the spray one day then leave it ? As I spray every day religiously once I start .Also I'm not clued up on the reference to the strength of you're solution ? Sorry I lack the know how on this. :shrug: a reason I buy my spray is to avoid the unknown. If you're solution works out at 30 part per million then spray every day. I used 20 ppm before and it wasn't strong enough. :shrug:

Looking good mate. The small male you are referring to may just be "indica" heavy and slow to grow. I say give it a chance as I see this a lot. To be honest I'm not sure about the spray one day then leave it ? As I spray every day religiously once I start .Also I'm not clued up on the reference to the strength of you're solution ? Sorry I lack the know how on this. :shrug: a reason I buy my spray is to avoid the unknown. If you're solution works out at 30 part per million then spray every day. I used 20 ppm before and it wasn't strong enough. :shrug:
I calculated it once and it came to 495 ppm (I think) for the 1:8 recipe and 450ppm for the 1:9 recipe. So for what I've been using (1:15) it comes to 300ppm which sounds right, but for all the candy in the world...I'm not sure so take my answer with a grain of salt as I'm f#(k stoned right now...:shrug:

Edit: Disregard this answer and look below for correct amount of ppm's :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Did another application of STS today at noon (1:15 ratio) and turned the lights off until 6pm. That gave the silver the time to soak into the plants system. :coffee2:
Also made a fresh batch today resulting in 100ml ready to use. Like in the recipe it's mixed at a rate of 1:9 and I'm still pondering if I shouldn't dilute it more for the next treatment. I rather build up to it then do a shock treatment. We're now at 14 days for the eldest and 11 for the youngest. By next week (around day 21 - 24) the internal processes for reproduction will be in full swing. I hope by then to have halted the production of ethylene completely so no female organ will expres itself. :wiz:
So if according to my previous schedule of spray, wait two days, spray, rinse & repeat I could remove 50ml from the bottle and replace with 15ml of demineralized water. This would put the ratio to 1:12 for the next treatment and then for the following treatment (day 20) I could use the remaining (50ml I removed from the bottle) 1:9 solution to push it through?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

I calculated it once and it came to 495 ppm (I think) for the 1:8 recipe and 450ppm for the 1:9 recipe. So for what I've been using (1:15) it comes to 300ppm which sounds right, but for all the candy in the world...I'm not sure so take my answer with a grain of salt as I'm f#(k stoned right now...:shrug:
Ok, for those interested in knowing how much ppm there is in the end product of the above recipe? Read on :headbang:
To calculate the ppm of your end solution you need to know how much Silver Thiosulfate you made by mixing solution B into solution A.
To know that I used a theoretical yield calculator to find the molar weight of both stock solutions and calculated that if you would mix the complete stock solutions together you would end up with 0.952 gr of silver thiosulfate. But in the recipe we use 50ml of each which is 10% of the total of each stock solution, which would make the theoretical yield 0.095gr STS into 1L water and from there we input this information into the grams to moles calculator and get 0.3994mM (millimole) as the molar weight of our solution. From there we do one final calculation on the ppm to molar weight calculator and get 95ppm as a result. Or I could have noticed that 0.095gr in 1000gr of water = 95ppm :face: Yup we're stoned again, but I finally got to calculating it. So I don't know where I got 450 ppm before, but that was quatsch and proves that to be sure calculating it is the only way.:hump:

Last edited:
Hey Breeders and wannabreeders :cheers:

Instead of copy pasting my previous thread I'll link to it. You're :welcome: to read all about it HERE.
But suffice to say I'm a happy "well done" camper. Lying on the couch with enough medication in me as not to feel the pain in my back.
My wife suggested we take a walk after we cleaned our selves up to unwind the muscles and despite feeling the pain I'm still very mobile and not completely locked up :thumbsup:

So yeah! I'm hurting, but I feel like I've we've accomplished a lot today. My ♥ goes out to my wife, who probably won't read about this as she's not a pothead like her hubby, but I couldn't have done this without her!! We filled up two trailers with rubbish, plant material and plastic. Cleaned house in the greenhouse and trimmed the fruit trees (yup, better late then never)

Regards,

Well, it's mothers day today, so we are going out for a light walk, lunch and some chit chat with the family.
So I made my wife the responsible driver for today and took myself some muscle relaxants. Even though it hurts, the walk we took yesterday evening did me good. So we altered the plans a bit and incorporated a light walk into the day.
Up to the flower store and buy me some flowers for my own missus while I'm at it :thumbsup:

Hey Guys,

Yesterday when we got home my back was kinda locked up from the Mothers day visit. And I still had a couple of hours sunlight left. So went to the greenhouse, opened up the windows so it could air out after the Sulphur treatment. Everything inside the greenhouse now has a small layer of Sulphur Dioxide on it. So as soon as humidity starts rising this will dissolve into sulphuric acid and kill all mold spores and eggs off nasties.

But I also started working on my heat bed/table (1.80m x 1m).
I cut all the necessary pieces of wood to size and started creating a raised rim around the table. I got about half way and then darkness fell over me and I had to stop. Tonight/Late afternoon (18:00 hours) the sun will have lost most of it's strength and I can again visit the greenhouse and continue on the table. I hope to finish it tonight so I can test the heating cable.

I'm going to white the greenhouse when I'm done finishing todays posts, so the temperatures don't get as extreme. The 'white' is a chalk based product which I dissolve into water and spray onto the outside of the greenhouse. During the year and after several rain cycles it washes away, slowly letting more light inside the greenhouse. It's only a drag to run around with a 20L tank on my back, but that's the hardship we go through for a better environment inside :shrug:

Inside I made my final choise of 'males'. Only the one in the corner in front of the rest I'm not sure of. It doesn't react well to the STS treament. But hey, we'll see if it turns out ok, otherwise it will go the way of the dinosaurs...
This picture was taken just before they got another treatment of STS and before the lights went out for the coming 6 hours or so.
1652089582580_small.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys :toke:

I got so much done on the heatbed/table build today, that tomorrow I can start testing the cable. Afterwards I can put the 50kg of river sand I have on the ready on top of that. I'm just wondering if I should put pandafoil between the heat cable and the sand? or leave it out completely. I'm not worried that the cable should get wet as this cable is specially used in large terrariums, but rather the table underneath. Mhmmm...choices... Come on peeps give your opinions :thanks:
1652121536010_small.jpg

1652121536004_small.jpg

1652121535992_small.jpg

1652121535998_small.jpg

Regards,

Back