Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

On track mate :thumbsup: good good . Just need to weed out the runts you won't be keeping. Nice to see you are dialling in you're preferences for traits . And a nice balanced F1 is always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Camera shot with lines. " frame rate" ? Am I correct? :rofl:

Camera shot with lines. " frame rate" ? Am I correct? :rofl:
yeah something like that :cheers:
What have I got for you guys today...Well, In stead of in the morning I waited to water until the evening as the pouches where still heavy.
1651146492476_small.jpg

I also gave every seedling 12ml worm juice. This will keep the bacterial life inside the soil happy...
1651146492481_small.jpg

...I made 1 liter by running 2L of water through the wormbin and collecting the drips from the lower tray. This gets filtered two times through a couple of coffee filters and a funnel. My wormbin has lots of life in it, but there seems to be a pest, some sort of lice or mite that keeps getting out of control. I keep them in check by using a small creme brulee burner to kill every one I see walking and to kill their eggs. I feel I shouldn't get those in the tent. So that's why I filter the liquid. :thumbsup:
1651146492487_small.jpg

...for the mycelia I added about half a teaspoon of dark syrop (don't remember the correct name) to the 1L I made. I added it inside the first coffee filter so the liquid could take up the nutrients in the syrup. The mycelia will be happy with some extra carbohydrates to feed on. Soon the roots will take over this function. Exchanging sugars for nutrients in a very balanced symbiosis.
1651146492491_small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Hey fellow Wannabreeders :biggrin:

How's everything growing? Before I post the pictures I do have a question for my main man @Sawney_bean. In another thread you spoke about cracking the stems. What do you mean by that and why do you do that? Stress or stronger plants? :thanks:

Ok, now some pictures :thumbsup:
1651399117530_small.jpg

1651399117536_small.jpg

As you can see, most of them are having a hard time. That's because it's about the same value inside the lung room as it is inside the tent...
1651399117539_small.jpg

...that combined with 150W (real draw) hanging above them isn't creating the most friendly environment for them "males".
1651399117544_small.jpg

1651399117549_small.jpg

1651399117551_small.jpg

1651399117555_small.jpg

1651399117558_small.jpg

1651399117564_small.jpg

I cleaned the branch of all female flowers and underneath I found these...
1651399117594_small.jpg

It's almost time to remove it and take it into my study where it can soak in a glass water with 2% H2O2 added while finishing off those male sacks.
1651399117597_small.jpg

Regards,

Hey guys,

Again a small update as I needed to take a picture from my DIY cob light for someone. While I was at it I thought, well why not take a couple of more pictures. :thumbsup:
1651485659734_small.jpg

These soon to be men are approx. 10 days old now so they still have a good 10 days to go before I start my STS treatment.
Am I correct in assuming this timeframe @Sawney_bean?
1651485659737_small.jpg

1651485659743_small.jpg

This soil wasn't packed chockfull with nutrients as I'm trying to be the worst grower possible. I'm am going for the strongest male in there of course. :shrug:
1651485659750_small.jpg

These pouches are wonderful. They keep their strength and even airprune the roots as they emerge through the soil towards to fabric. Oh and they cost close to nothing. And I payed something like 5€ for 100 pieces... Well that's a no brainer :thumbsup:
1651485659997_small.jpg

Whenever the light is creating those lines while photographing I need to keep one hand between the subject and the light, this stops the flickering, but show's the color of the light the plants are next to....
1651485660002_small.jpg

And this is why I needed to go to the tent, actually lung room... This is my DIY COB light setup I used before I got the way more efficient TS-1000.
These are three 50W cobs. One being 6000-6500K, the next 380-840nm and the last one 2900-3100K. They shine amazingly bright, but also create lots of heat. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not... For me, it's creating a small issue with the temperature inside the tent, but this was easily remedied by turning down Wattage of the light and turning up the extraction fan.
1651485660009_small.jpg

And inside the tent the White Widow is finalizing the male sacs. The moment of extraction is very...mhmmm how should I say it...You don't want to remove the branch to early as not all the sacs will mature and that will come to a cost with viability and quantity. But remove the branch to late and, well...Need I say more...
1651485659727_small.jpg

This is the top part and has the most perfect male sacs. So I predict these will soon pop open.
1651485659720_small.jpg

Ah...We've come to the end of the line for today. Hope you enjoyed your stay :toke:

I start spraying around the 2 week mark . Some in you're pic I would start the next day or two. The larger plants I would start . I see in the first picture you have a small seedling that looks deformed and personally I wouldn't use it . I don't use any plants with mutations as it can carry over to the next generation . All looking fantastic dude. :d5:

Hello friends, growers and AFN fam ♥

As time progresses and you learn loads of neat stuff and there comes a time when one needs to step it up a notch. Well, I my case I got inspired by my mate Sawney who is growing his own genetics and I thought to myself..."If he can do it..." :biggrin:
No for realsies now, What he's doing is well above my knowledge level and I would like to evolve to where he is at now. So I got to reading and reading and after some time did some more reading. :wiz:
I ordered everything I needed to start with it. I went for the STS way, btw. And started with trying to create seeds with it. My first harvest of seeds, after a couple of failures where a mighty two seeds, but...but I had proven that with patience and practice I could make my own seeds. Which is actually harder then everyone makes it out to be :thanks:

But all of the above was done on a single branch of plants I was growing. This is quite unpractical as you have to be very careful you only spray that one branch. So I watched Sawneys thread and now that I have an indoor tent I am in the opportunity to grow (small) plants just for pollen. And that's what this thread is about, oh and the 'For Dummies' reference in the title is for me as while I start with this endeavor I'm quite the dummy at it :goodluck:

I started with the germination method I learned from Antonio. This removes the guesswork from seeding directly in soil.
View attachment 1448365

I knew I needed small pots and found these pouches online. Biodegradable and tough enough for one grow (that has to be seen of course). The contents is about 850ml which is 3.6 US cups for those imperialists among you :biggrin:. As a reference and to help me fill the pouches, an empty jar of my favorite coffee.
View attachment 1448364

So today several of those seeds had sprouted and the ones that had a tail of about 1cm / 0.39" or bigger went into the fabric pots...
But first I had to fill the pouches. This is easiest if you fill the jar first...
View attachment 1448376

... and, like a condom, put the pouch over the jar opening...
View attachment 1448377

...Turn it around and shake shake shake ♫ ♩ ♪ ♫♪ ♪ ♫
View attachment 1448378

This had to be done ten times...and after that I needed to lie down a bit as my back was killing me. Lying down or standing is ok, but sitting...Oh man!!! :cuss:
View attachment 1448380

Each sprout was placed inside a tiny hole only exposing the seedcap or in some cases the cotyledons and got a small humidity dome. The soil was prepared with the remaining Startrex, Bactrex, Mycotrex and Silicium Flash from the BioTabs starterpack. The BioTabs themselves have to be ordered still, but the soil is prepared as was the one inside the tent in my current grow. Oh and I watered the soil beforehand, another thing I picked up :thumbsup:
View attachment 1448381

I've placed the trays inside the lung room and put my DIY cob light above the trays. Three cobs 50W (real draw) a 380-840nm, 6000-6500K & a 2900-3100K which should cover the young seedlings until they can go inside the tent.
With the small domes over them I sprayed the soil nice and wet with water and an added dose of @Phyters Rotblock. This is the final bottle I could make as the jar is empty now, but Phyter assured me his store would be open and active soon. So if you want a healthy plant go and get you some of that Rotblock as I'm for sure gonna order me a big tub as I need it in the greenhouse like a fish needs water :cheers:
View attachment 1448396

View attachment 1448398

View attachment 1448400

View attachment 1448401

View attachment 1448402

Well...That sums up what I've been doing so far. I hope you guys give loads of feedback so we, but more importantly I can learn some more about the whole genetics thing :thanks:

Regards,

I like how you fill those bags.
:pimp:

I see in the first picture you have a small seedling that looks deformed and personally I wouldn't use it
I guess you meant this one...
1651524048927 - Copy.jpg

What kind of sts do you use? What's the ppm ?
I use the recipe/manual below. It's not mine but rather someone on another forum posted this.
For this spraying I diluted it further to 1/15 = 10ml 'stock solution' + 150ml demineralized water. After spraying I turned off the light and just now turned it back on again. So that's about 5 hours of dark for the STS to enter the plants. If I'm correct as soon as the UV in the light reacts with the silver the STS becomes inert.

These are the others that didn't make the cut...
1651524048922 - Copy.jpg

The weirdo :haha:
1651524048915 - Copy.jpg

1651524048910 - Copy.jpg

1651524048906 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• HOW-TO Make and Use Silver Thiosulfate Solution(STS) for Feminized Cannabis Pollen.pdf
    623.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I guess you meant this one...
View attachment 1453592

I use the recipe/manual below. It's not mine but rather someone on another forum posted this.
For this spraying I diluted it further to 1/15 = 10ml 'stock solution' + 150ml demineralized water. After spraying I turned off the light and just now turned it back on again. So that's about 5 hours of dark for the STS to enter the plants. If I'm correct as soon as the UV in the light reacts with the silver the STS becomes inert.

These are the others that didn't make the cut...
View attachment 1453593

The weirdo :haha:
View attachment 1453594

View attachment 1453595

View attachment 1453596
that's the suspect one . Good idea to remove any seedlings that are not perfect . I have learned not to keep shit looking plant's. When you grow seeds from a deformed plant it won't make you happy.
I always spray my plants at the same time every day as the lights go out. So good call on that mate. You may have less seedlings now but what you make will be far superior quality now the runts have been removed.

Back