Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Sitting in the same boat, twiddling my thumbs, waiting, waiting...... Figure near end of July mine should be mature enough..
Iam dangerously close to harvest as well. just waiting on this last bit of heat to pass and a few ambers on ye old trichromatics…
Then i get a small break before the Fall Pheno hunt starts.

Cheers Auto-Bob

Iam dangerously close to harvest as well. just waiting on this last bit of heat to pass and a few ambers on ye old trichromatics…
Then i get a small break before the Fall Pheno hunt starts.

Cheers Auto-Bob
Thanks buddy.
Sorry for the minimum of updates, but since the plants are busy with making seeds, they have stopped with everything else...
Leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I do give 'm a shot of the PK Booster Compost Tee I brew now and then, but that doesn't remedy the fact that senescence has kicked in.
As you'll be able to see the seeds are almost ready. They probably are, but I'd rather give 'm a week or two longer on the plant. :wiz:
1657740691823_small.jpg

I did do a second round of pollinating on the 24th of June so, these mothers can probably do with three or four weeks longer. I like to give 'm six weeks from pollination. What do you say @Sawney_bean? Is six long enough? :cheers:
1657740691817_small.jpg

Great example of a mother which has nothing else to do then die... These seedpods are looking promising :thumbsup:
1657740691810_small.jpg

1657740691805_small.jpg

Look on the frost of this F1 I made...That's a good thing right? :coffee2::haha::rofl:
Nah, I used premium genetics and got lucky? We'll see when I try out the F2's this winter come in the tent...
1657740691795_small.jpg

1657740691789_small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Thanks buddy.
Sorry for the minimum of updates, but since the plants are busy with making seeds, they have stopped with everything else...
Leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I do give 'm a shot of the PK Booster Compost Tee I brew now and then, but that doesn't remedy the fact that senescence has kicked in.
As you'll be able to see the seeds are almost ready. They probably are, but I'd rather give 'm a week or two longer on the plant. :wiz:
View attachment 1486456

I did do a second round of pollinating on the 24th of June so, these mothers can probably do with three or four weeks longer. I like to give 'm six weeks from pollination. What do you say @Sawney_bean? Is six long enough? :cheers:
View attachment 1486457

Great example of a mother which has nothing else to do then die... These seedpods are looking promising :thumbsup:
View attachment 1486458

View attachment 1486459

Look on the frost of this F1 I made...That's a good thing right? :coffee2::haha::rofl:
Nah, I used premium genetics and got lucky? We'll see when I try out the F2's this winter come in the tent...
View attachment 1486460

View attachment 1486461

Regards,

I always leave my plants to push out seeds from the calex .You will see the calex go brown as it dies of and the seed is free to fall. That's when I get the most amount of good seeds. :d5:

I always leave my plants to push out seeds from the calex .You will see the calex go brown as it dies of and the seed is free to fall. That's when I get the most amount of good seeds. :d5:
Good to know. But then again I have many crosses close together. Wouldn't want no seeds mixed together as they fall out the calyx's and those that fall will be dead anyway as they will fall in the tray below, which is filled with water... mhmmmmm...
Or, I use a piece of aluminum paper to wrap around the stem and that way create a funnel as I did while catching pollen. :thumbsup:
How do you catch them brother?

Thanks buddy.
View attachment 1486456

View attachment 1486457

View attachment 1486458

View attachment 1486459

View attachment 1486460

View attachment 1486461

Regards,

just another wee note mate. It's not a time game , it's more when the plant is ready and you see it. For example if I had a plant at 8 weeks with seeds and it didn't have the tell tail signs of maturity I wouldn't cut it.
I always use tweezers to pull seeds from inside the bud to check for ripeness . Always run it till death is my moto. :devil:

I always use tweezers to pull seeds from inside the bud to check for ripeness
Oh...I used to let those branches dry and then rub them to bits between my hands above a clean worksurface. Then fish out the seeds from the plant material.
To check for ripeness I use an 'old' technique someone thought me when I was 16 years old. Put the seed on a hard surface and press on it with your thumb. If it cracks it's a bad seed. If it doesn't...well... :thumbsup:

Do you have different strains in the same room all producing pollen!!!!!

If so, the risk of cross contamination is massive, even without any fan operating etc, just opening a zipper on the tent or breathing will make pollen airbourne.

great diary, so imformative and interesting, i am learning lots.

Just awaiting my 60+ packs of autos to arrive from the USA then i am on the case likewise.

uk420man

Do you have different strains in the same room all producing pollen!!!!!

If so, the risk of cross contamination is massive, even without any fan operating etc, just opening a zipper on the tent or breathing will make pollen airbourne.

great diary, so imformative and interesting, i am learning lots.

Just awaiting my 60+ packs of autos to arrive from the USA then i am on the case likewise.

uk420man
Yup, all the males where inside the tent while maturing. And yes, I know of the risks, but as this is a learning thing for me I used loads of different starting material to up my chances. Btw, I have absolutely no interest in starting a shop or anything. This is just a hobby and creating progeny from only females sounded neat. :thumbsup:
I'm learning as I go, so if I learn something new (most of the time it's because of @Sawney_bean) you guys are the first to know about it. If you have advise for me, please go right ahead. This is a forum and discussion is it's food, so feel free to ask and give advise :d5:
60+ packs...That sounds like a lot. I hope you're not going to do them all at once? That would be a job on it's own getting to figure that schedule out...

In any case, guuud luck with your grow/breeding project and share it on the forum, we all love exciting new stuff :toke:

Oh, and almost forgot... :welcome: to AFN m8 :cheers:

Lol no im a photo grower have been past 20+ years perpetual with only a couple of weeks downtime due to either holiday commitments or powdery mildew, lol, i just wondered about different strains in same tent, but hey ho like you state, it's a learning curve which it will be for me, alas i have a close personal friend and one of the U.K's top seed breeders advising me, now he has retired and has some free time on his hands, btw hope it's all going to plan.

No i shall not be growing all at once, i will do 10 x feminised seeds of the same strain, reversing one to male and completely pollinating only two or three plants at most, so i have a constant supply of the exact same strain.

i will do this with all the strains i receive, if i live that long, lol :biggrin:

Uk420man

Lol no im a photo grower have been past 20+ years perpetual with only a couple of weeks downtime due to either holiday commitments or powdery mildew, lol, i just wondered about different strains in same tent, but hey ho like you state, it's a learning curve which it will be for me, alas i have a close personal friend and one of the U.K's top seed breeders advising me, now he has retired and has some free time on his hands, btw hope it's all going to plan.

No i shall not be growing all at once, i will do 10 x feminised seeds of the same strain, reversing one to male and completely pollinating only two or three plants at most, so i have a constant supply of the exact same strain.

i will do this with all the strains i receive, if i live that long, lol :biggrin:

Uk420man
Well you sure are doing your best with that amount of seeds. But don't forget, next year there's a new cultivar that everyone wants and then the next year and then you'll never get to those remaining packs of seeds. That's how we all end up with boxes, trays, folders, etc... filled with seeds. :cheers: Myself included :haha:
If you are doing commercial grow it's better to stick to one or maybe two cultivars if their growth pattern is the same. You don't want to be in constant fight with your light jojo's, cropping plant's to keep an even canopy and so on...That's more hobby stuff and probably something I would blindly run into...:biggrin:

Back