Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Lol, yes i'm well aware of the downside of people wanting new strains, tbh it's going the opposite way in the u.k. slowly, people are getting bored with all these fruity, candy, sugary sounding cali type strains that just don't deliver yield wise for the grower, compared to the old strains widow skunk cheese etc etc.

I've only come across 2 strains that are on a par with the strains i was gifted, those two being klp x cookies by pcg and rotten banana by thugpug, i have grown out over 60 +cali/colorado strains in my quest these past four years, to no avail.

This is just something i fancy doing, i'll do swaps with many, as i already have done with a few in the usa, as i have the entire last remaining stock gifted to me by my uk breeder friend to do with as i please so to date i have swapped over 100 x 10 x packs for similar amounts of cali types mainly autos to date, and a fair few of some well renowned strains from Ethos, Seed Junky, Copy Cat Genetics, Memphisto, etc etc.

so onwards and upwards.

uk420man

Last edited:
Lol, yes i'm well aware of the downside of people wanting new strains, tbh it's going the opposite way in the u.k. slowly, people are getting bored with all these fruity, candy, sugary sounding cali type strains that just don't deliver yield wise for the grower, compared to the old strains widow skunk cheese etc etc.

I've only come across 2 strains that are on a par with the strains i was gifted, those two being kep x cookies by pcg and rotten banana by thugpug, i have grown out over 60 +cali/colorado strains in my quest these past four years, to no avail.

This is just something i fancy doing, i'll do swaps with many, as i already have done with a few in the usa, as i have the entire last remaining stock gifted to me by my uk breeder friend to do with as i please so to date i have swapped over 100 x 10 x packs for similar amounts of cali types mainly autos to date, and a fair few of some well renowned strains from Ethos, Seed Junky, Copy Cat Genetics, Memphisto, etc etc.

so onwards and upwards.

uk420man
I understand what you mean. Growing a White Widow from Dutch Passion for the second time. First time I lit a joint with it's bud and I was back in the 90's. Look no further if that kind of thing is your cup of tea. :thumbsup:

Bob, I want to thank you for your help and you and Sawney for putting up such good info that even a caveman could do it.......I've got viability on the one seed I pulled out early..
IMG20220717112537.jpg

Nice!! Are you gonna grow it out? plz say yes :headbang:
Might as well....This and the Strawberry Mango Crumble will leave 4 slots open for the Frost Brothers Skunk and the Wishing Star....should be able to find 2 females of each hopefully.

Hey breeders and wannabreeders :toke:

It's been an easy run so far. Since pollinating the females there was little to nothing to do...But since it was a while since I posted in this thread, here are a couple more bud shots. You can clearly see the seeds in there. :yay:
1658423522513_small.jpg

1658423522510_small.jpg

1658423522504_small.jpg

1658423522500_small.jpg

1658423522497_small.jpg

1658423522493_small.jpg

1658423522487_small.jpg

1658423522484_small.jpg

1658423522481_small.jpg

1658423522477_small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Wow. They look pretty spectacular for being preggers. Hope the seed babys come out how are how you are aiming..even though if its not, it could potentially be better then you even imagined accidentally on purpose!

having re read that..my Musty Buffalo harvest is gonna be a straight Slapper!
thanks for the update

Wow. They look pretty spectacular for being preggers. Hope the seed babys come out how are how you are aiming..even though if its not, it could potentially be better then you even imagined accidentally on purpose!

having re read that..my Musty Buffalo harvest is gonna be a straight Slapper!
thanks for the update
We will see. After you posted this morning I went for a look, but the buds were still wet as I've put each girl into a separate paper bag which I left open. Thought it would be dry by now as it's almost been a week, but I guess the paper bags hold the moisture inside the bag for longer...

We will see. After you posted this morning I went for a look, but the buds were still wet as I've put each girl into a separate paper bag which I left open. Thought it would be dry by now as it's almost been a week, but I guess the paper bags hold the moisture inside the bag for longer...
My revised special edition Bro-da-culture issue #89 lead me to believe that the paper bag helps to evenly ‘wic’ moisture from the stems->buds. When I did my experiment it was in the very harsh of Midwestern winter, ( talkin 35% RH easy..and my first harvest fwtiw, lol. I dried for like 8-9 days (in the tent this run). and then bucked it down some and in the paper bag for another 4-5 Days. i was pleased personally. then I trimmed and burped for cpl wks in mason jars. My sac appeal was on par with the last erm.. herbal supplements sample pack.

my next harvest was dried in a DIY box that was near perfect, however the actual buds were far less dense and the cultivar was leafy for thim jail.. TBH it had just been an observance, for all i know it could simply be the genetic i was able to acquire. I am also satisfied with the box dry, but will also add: it was hella hot -as the gates of hades-so she may have had some thirsty fluff…taking on lot of water just to be comfortable translating to having excess water and less density .. in my head its a factor worth pointing out

my current harvest went into grove bag after the dry. So jury still out, but ill have some nice lookin nuggs getting that grove groove!
Edit. For grammar ofc.

my current harvest went into grove bag after the dry. So jury still out, but ill have some nice lookin nuggs getting that grove groove!
I've heard lot's of great stuff about Grove Bags, just a shame I can't order them without paying myself blue for shipping :shrug:
I put the paper bags outside in the sun today, this dried the contents enough for me to remove the seeds. Then finicking the seeds out of the plant material and while testing each seed for viability, but using the ol' press down on the seed with the finger trick. Afterwards I disinfected the seeds by swirling them around in a 12% H2O2 solution, then flushing them with demineralized water and drying them off with a piece of paper towel. Finally I put them inside a folded pouch made out of a piece of paper towel together with it's tag so I know which seeds are which. This should help in removing that last bit of excess water the seeds were exposed to. I'm left now with ten paper towel pouches, some +50 seeds and some with only 5 or 6 seeds.
1658939893683_small.jpg

In any case, the F2's I wanted to make provided me with plenty of seeds to play with coming winter. I'll be putting my thinking cap on and start planning my triploid experiment. If there are people who have experience in using colchicine please do chime in. I'll be needing all the information I can get to bring this to a successful end. Or not, as it's still an experiment ;)

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Back