Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Project Swamp Wine - Germination
  • Hey breeders and wannabreeders :smokeout:
    We are three days on and it was time to check the cotton pads...All but one (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride hatched and produced a nice tail.
    1700262090065 _small.jpg

I mixed up some lightmix/seedmix with perlite added to it, with some extra perlite. The bag contains 10% perlite and I added 1/4th of the volume perlite.
    This got mixed up good and while doing that rough and large pieces were removed.
    Then the trays for my propagators got filled with the mix, four in all. Then the bottom tray got filled with three cups of water per prop, after which the soil trays got inserted. As soon as the soil on top got dark I removed the soil trays and emptied the bottom trays. All that was needed was a pencil to make the holes and a set of tweezers to carefully pick up the sprouts.
    The (DGxTD)xSB got it's own prop and so did the SkywalkerOG x UK Cheese and the Slaughtered Lamb. Double Grape x 3BOG and Cheese XXL are sharing a tray.

So in all, 40 sprouts were sowed...This hard work deserved a treat... I added the kief from the bottom catcher of my grinder to my normal joint.
    This is from grinding three joints worth of bud...LoL...She is frosty you guys!!
    1700262090058 _small.jpg

Oh, yeah...I harvested the three ladies that were ready. I cut them as a whole from the pot and trimmed all the fan leaves away, then trimmed the leaves or leave parts that didn't have any trichomes on it. All are drying in the lung room. To accommodate my missus and keep myself to the agreement she (or anyone for that part) can smell it in the house. So, the extraction fan is running at 30%, which lowered the temperature to about 22°C, but with a VPD of 1.38-1.42kPa, so nice and dry environment. Tomorrow I'll be harvesting one or two more and then it's waiting time until the seed mothers and that lazy plant are ready.

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Last edited:
    Project Swamp Wine - Day 1
  • Hey guys,

this morning while watering I took a peep inside the propagators...Not quite want to call it Day 1 yet. Calling it Day 1.
    1700395767639 _small.jpg

But most of them have already surfaced
    1700395767644 _small.jpg

Ahha, five potential poly hybrid male's 👌
    1700395767649 _small.jpg

Hey @Sawney_bean, All look healthy mate!! :woohoo1::woohoo::woohoo1:
    1700395767635 _small.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
    Project Swamp Wine - Day 6 - repotted + Harvest Junk Dealer's Wedding
  • Hey growers and breeders :toke:

How's everything going on here on AFN? Been away a couple of days because of covid...At least I think it was...no tests anymore, but felt like sh!t...Feeling a whole lot better today. So I gave myself a kick in the butt and got to work...
    1700656674137 _small.jpg

1700656674133 _small.jpg

1700656674129 _small.jpg

1700656674126 _small.jpg

After transplanting the seedlings into the 3.5L pots I remembered I forgot to take pictures...Must have been covid after all :coffee2:
    Luckily I have my trusty time lapse camera which had already began to take pictures...
    Y0030002_small.JPG

While down there I noticed the buds of the first five plants I harvested were dry as fu(k...Touching them made it snow. So I took a plastic lid of a box and used it as a plateau to lay the cut plants on. After trimming I was left over with super dry (45% humidity, when put into the jar), but oh so deliciously looking buds...covered in trichomes...
    1700527197684 _small.jpg

100gr. from five plants...Not bad, not great...but not bad at ALL!!! :woohoo1:
    1700527197677 _small.jpg

1700527197669 _small.jpg

1700527197666 _small.jpg

1700527197661 _small.jpg

1700527197658 _small.jpg

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 8
  • Hey breeders and wannabreeders :toke:

The days are slowly chucking away..And so are the seedlings. Slowly but surely the first set of real leaves is expanding...
    I must confess that I was a little brute with transplanting the sprouts from the seed tray to the pots. I really have to find something to get the root balls out them trays. Last time I cut plastic wedges to place in the bottom, that gave me something to push against, but this isn't flawless and some root balls became undone. This is noticeable on some of the seedlings. Anyhow, I took some pictures this time so here's the group...

First row is a Sawney Bean creation, a more Sativa leaning cheese hybrid...I'm curious how it tastes 👌
    1701018389558 _small.jpg

Second row...A creation of mine. I took a Mephisto trial cross and whipped in some male genome with the Sooty Bride F1 :headbang:
    From these a suitable male will be selected. And since I'm using F1's this can go in all directions...
    1701018389550 _small.jpg

Next up another Sawney bean creation. His already crowned Slaughtered Lamb, yup with the 'b'. In my native language we write Lam, so that's why it's written down incorrectly on the name cards...:shrug:
    It's because of the Dinafem Blue Cheese lineage I chose this one and Sawney recommended it to me to add to the project.
    1701018389543 _small.jpg

Last row are two cultivars from which I only had three seeds each...So I picked the two best looking to continue with. The first is another Dinafem classic, Cheese XXL. I grew this one several seasons ago in the greenhouse and while I was fighting humidity back then and harvest from this cultivar wasn't XXL at all, I've still made several 'selved' generations as the flavor was really nice, from which these three seeds used were a S2.
    To finish this row up I've added a Mephisto freebee to the mix...Double Grape x 3BOG. I really need some more Double Grape lineage in this project as the combo I once smoked was an amazing one and I really need to recreate that in my tent. :smokeit:
    1701018389533 _small.jpg

Alrighty then, first time lapse for this project...Speed = 30fps, duration = 55 hours. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 13
  • Hey growers :toke:

Everything has been chucking along like usual...The seedlings have become perty little ladies/gents. These have adjusted well after the dreadful transfer from the germination tray...
    What I forgot the mention is that I did reuse the soil inside the pots as is. Just removed the root ball, dropped in my lawn fertilizer pellets and filled in the hole with plain seedling mix before inserting the seedlings.
    1701418398797 _small.jpg

Didn't even use the leftover bennies and myco from my starterpack, since my soil was still inoculated from the previous grow. Actually...I've got so much inoculated soil I only have to add more soil to this and it will keep expanding further :thumbsup: Handy tip for anyone who's on a budget and wants to grow organic. After the grow is over dump the soil inside a container and keep it moist enough for the organics to survive. Add to this the same amount of soil and let it rest for a grow. Afterwards you can switch soils and continue expanding... :cool1:
    1701418398822 _small.jpg

I did have to use some spinosad to get the gnats under control. This is one of my favorite products to use as it doesn't affect the bacterial and mycological life inside the soil. It does need a repeat dosing after five days, but this has to do with the lifecycle of the gnat, rather than the effectiveness of the product. The active ingredient itself is produced by a bacteria and messes with the neural activity inside the gnat, or any other insect so please don't use it outside as bees can be affected as well.
    1701419321989 _small.jpg

Beside that one treatment of spinosad I've only been giving plain water, but this will soon change. The 5L molasses I mixed up with the alfalfa meal and diatomaceous earth have been soaking for a couple weeks now. Regularly I turn the bottle upside down to mix everything up, the only downside to this is that molasses weighs so much (the total weight of the tub is almost 8kg) which is a bit much for me to shake around. So I'm recycling the old Orgatrex bottles to divide and keep it more manageable. :thumbsup:
    1701418398810 _small.jpg

This will also be one of the last grows using just "plain" inoculated soil, because as we speak inside my greenhouse is a mound of soil to which I added 20kg of charged Biochar. Which after it filled up with ammonia (don't ask if you haven't read before) got the last of the Bactrex, Mycotrex and a hefty dose of molasses (as I needed the room for the alfalfa meal to take it's place inside the container) to feed all that life.
    1701418398807 _small.jpg

This Biochar will be a stepping ground for the organic life to get a better foothold inside the soil. Soils can dry out, while the inside of the grain of carbon can still retain moisture and keep the bennies alive...You will see more about this subject in the near future you guys :d5:
    1701418398802 _small.jpg

Let's return to the tent...The values inside are right on spec. Only the temperature could be a bit higher, but then I would need to turn up the lights and that would be to much of a good thing. I rather have the temperature sitting at 23-24°C then bleach the leaves if you know what I mean :hump:
    The CO² is also a a high enough level for it to impact the plants, this will soo change as the extraction fan will be running at a higher level then the 4 or 5% it's running now. So until that day comes, the DIY CO² yeast plant is still doing it's thing 👌
    1701418398791 _small.jpg

And to end today's post...Another time lapse. Speed = 30fps and duration = 108 hours... Enjoy watching them grow :thanks:

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 16
  • Hey breeders and wannabreeders :toke:

The plants got their first watering with the molases mixture I made, 200ml/pot. Let's see if we can get the same results as previous grows 🤞
    1701709892774 _small.jpg

For the moment there aren't much differences in height between each cultivar, which is what it's all about of course. We want the parents to be as uniform as possible. This makes selecting a bit easier then when we have many phenotypical differences...
    1701709892766 _small.jpg

The plants I have selected so far, this can change during the grow...
    Let's begin on the left row. Here we have @Sawney_bean's, Skywalker OG x UK Cheese... While all four girls look very nice and similar, #1 is looking just a bit better. She's a bit bigger, her internodes are nice and short and in the time lapse she is dancing the hardest.
    Second row. (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride, a cross made by yours truly inside the greenhouse last summer. I've dismissed #4 as this one is looking a bit behind the other three. #1-3 are clearly looking very similar and were it only be females the choice would be very hard indeed. For now I'm waiting until I see the sex of all four specimens. I need one good male and I'm sure I'm able to find among the first three.
    Third row. Again another Sawney Bean creation, being almost a "classic"...Slaughtered Lamb. This cultivar has been around the block a few times with many a growers here on the forum and from what I've heard it has the most amazing cheese flavor. A great candidate to recreate that Port & Stilton I once tried...
    Row four are two cultivars as I only had three seeds of each. I selected the two best sprouts and now have chosen my selectees for the breeding project... In front are Dinafem's Cheese XXL, which wasn't XXL in my previous grows, but had a great cheesy taste none the less. I picked here to contend against or with Slaughtered Lamb for the cheese flavor... And in the back Mephisto's freebee Double Grape x 3BOG.
    Selection 02-12-2023.JPG

Took some close-ups of 'm... 📸
    Sawney Beans - Skywalker OG x UK Cheese #1
    1701709892827 _small.jpg

(Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride #1
    1701709892818 _small.jpg

Sawney Beans - Slaughtered Lamb #1
    1701709892813 _small.jpg

Sawney Beans - Slaughtered Lamb #1
    1701709892808 _small.jpg

Dinafem - Cheese XXL #1
    1701709892802 _small.jpg

Dinafem - Cheese XXL #1
    1701709892797 _small.jpg

Mephisto freebee - Double Grape x 3BOG #2
    1701709892791 _small.jpg

Today's time lapse...Speed = 30fps, duration = 80 hours.

As you can see in the above time lapse, growth is speeding up and day 20 is almost there...So it's almost time to boost things up with the Boom Boom Spray. This product is unbelieving and is something I still haven't been able to recreate, but at the rate I use it the small bottle I got will last me yet a couple more grows. :shrug:
    I've also been using the UV supplemental light, but only very short periods of time for now, one minute per day was last week. Today this has been upped to three minutes and so it will go up until I reach one hour periods, four times per day.

Well, that's all for today folks...I wish you al a fine morning/day/evening.

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 19
  • Hey guys :toke:

Just checking the clock and just in time to say... Day 19 today and these ladies are enjoying their stay inside the tent.
    These four Skywalker OG x UK Cheese are looking very similar indeed, so I might have to pollinate more than one specimen. 👌
    1701972618234 _small.jpg

The topdressing is doing it's thing and slowly these fine looking specimens are starting to speed up, where I like them to be when I spray them with the Boom boom spray. Even #4 is looking ok now and has gained in on it's siblings. 🏃‍♀️:drunks:
    1701972618231 _small.jpg

Slaughtered Lamb #1 is surely going to get pollinated. The differences with the other three are spectacular. :dancer:
    1701972618227 _small.jpg

In the back Double Grape x 3BOG #2 will get a dusting. While in front I'm starting to have doubts about Cheese XXL #1, meanwhile #2 is starting to look better and better. It is the smallest, but looking closer I notice that the internodal shoots are the furthest of both, which will make it a great SOG style of grow.
    1701972618224 _small.jpg

No pistils yet, but we're still early on...
    1701972618219 _small.jpg

Been checking all the selectees for sex, but at 19 days of age I'm still to early to find any. :shrug:
    1701972618216 _small.jpg

Still doesn't hurt to have a look. :rofl:
    1701972618212 _small.jpg

Nice internodal distance and the nodal branches are stretching nicely. I'm still in doubt if I should top the plants or not. I understand these will remain small as I messed up on the transplant, I know, I admit it... So I don't know if cutting more from these plants is a smart thing to do. :help:
    1701972618209 _small.jpg

I've also treated the soil with another dose of spinosad. Because, after previous attempt my stoned ass forgot to treat them again five days after the first treatment...So now I can start all over again as the gnats are back!! I did set an alarm this time, live and learn :wall::haha:
    1701972618203 _small.jpg

Time for another time lapse...I've had some issues with my action camera getting stuck...two times in a row. Maybe it was getting to hot in there :hothot:
    Anywho...speed = 30 fps, duration = 72 hours, with a couple of hours in between missing. Enjoy :thanks:

Hope you guys enjoyed it and see/read you guys next time.

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 22
  • Good day to you all my friends :toke:

The effects of the topdressing I spread out a couple of days ago is really showing it's effects. I presumed there was enough nutrients inside the old soil, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Luckily I have all the tools in my box to remedy this.
    1702195601050 _small.jpg

I sprayed the ladies with some Boom Boom Spray, just before going to bed last night as we've come at the crossroads of day 20.
    1702195601094 _small.jpg

As you can see, not all the signs of deficiency are gone...The leaves still show some spots here and there and are still fairly light colored. But everything is slowly coming to a near perfect condition for breeding :thumbsup:
    1702195601185 _small.jpg

And that's just fine as I found my first pistils showing. :woohoo1:
    1702195601123 _small.jpg

For most this is only the sign that we're nearing another stage in development. But for the second row, which are my regulars this is the moment I've been waiting for.
    1702195601178 _small.jpg

I'll soon to be choosing my male, but it seems pistils are always first...
    1702195601173 _small.jpg

Anyway, these lot seem happy enough and look very scrumptious...
    1702195601108 _small.jpg

Yummie!! ♥♥♥
    1702195601103 _small.jpg

Oh and I wasn't talking about my feet :haha:

To end today's post...Another time lapse. :thumbsup:Speed = 30fps, duration = 58 hours. Please enjoy :thanks:

giphy.gif

Regards,

Project Swamp Wine - Day 24
  • Hey Friends :toke:

@Emerald Archer, thanks for the rep dude!!

I've been smoking the bud from previous grow as of late. I've discovered that some of those Junk Dealer's Wedding buds have a menthol flavor when lit up... I couldn't place it for quite some while as it was very subtle, but after further curing in the glass jar it has become very clear to me.
    Does anyone from the old garde, like @Mossy, @Son of Hobbes, @Mañ'O'Green, ... have any clue as where this comes from? This cultivar is a Mephisto's Wedding x Coal Miner's Daughter, which is back crossed to a Mephisto's Wedding. It does show a lot of influences from the father (CMD) so I'm thinking, maybe that menthol comes from the CMD. If that's the case I'm in for a lot of fun finding these menthol pheno's as I've got loads of ... x CMD crosses in my library.

Inside the tent everything is going like a charm now...The Leaves are bright green and showing lush vigor. I've tucked the large fan leaves underneath as to help the shoots to get some more light, without causing to much stress to the plants. :thumbsup:
    1702411615632 _small.jpg

Almost everyone has shown sex. Just one, which most likely is a male, hasn't shown anything.
    1702308816683 _small.jpg

The others have showed sex. Two female (Double Grape x Toof Decay) x Sooty Bride...
    1702308816697 _small.jpg

...One male and one...??? :shrug::haha:
    1702308816679 _small.jpg

Like I said in the beginning, the leaves are showing no deficiencies anymore. 👌
    1702308816663 _small.jpg

The topdressing with the VIANO MIXPROF FERTISOIL 3-2-3 really kickstarted the plants. It's because the bag arrived a bit late that I didn't add it to the soil from the get-go. 🤏
    1702411615604 _small.jpg

It's loaded with directly available nutrients combined with a motherload of bennies and myco, which are derived from grape pulp which in turn is a waste product from the wine industry.
    Sawney Bean - Slaughtered Lamb #2
    1702411615628 _small.jpg

The value's inside are almost picture perfect, just the temperature could be a bit higher, but I'm not complaining. Convinced the missus we should take more showers instead of baths so I could charge that boiler more often and so keep my lungroom at a more enjoyable temperature. 🤌🌡️
    VPD is perfect though, as is the CO² and the lighting. I am running it at maximum setting with the light raised to the top of the tent, just because I need that heat. Come to think of it, I forgot to lower it today. I wanted the plants' DLI to be around 40 Mole, but I forgot... :coffee2::haha: So we'll do that tomorrow when it's watering time again. Between the sixteen pots they are drinking 2.5L water (with some added molasses and stuff) per day now...It surely is speeding up you guys 🏃‍♀️ 💨
    1702335246078 _small.jpg

No time lapse today you guys!! :haha: Just kidding...Speed = 30fps, duration = 60 hours. Enjoy :thanks:
    Oh yeah, look at them @Sawney_bean's, Skywalker OG x UK Cheese dance in the wind you guys!! whoop whoop!! :woohoo1::woohoo::woohoo1:

Regards,

p.s. I would like to apologize again for my absence on this forum. I've been researching quite a bit for my Widow project and therefor have to divide my time even more. I do try to post in my thread as this is also a diary for myself, but don't seem to be reaching you guys in your threads.

Back