SSSC Bob's tribute to Karel, the SSSC and BioTabs - Growing AK47 x Karel's Haze x Auto & Afghan x Northern Lights x Auto

Hey friends :toke:

As the last cultivar is hanging upside down drying in the shed I'm using this thread to tell about my exploits earlier today.
Went to the store and bought myself 10kg of dry ice. Once home I got to work immediately as I had prepared everything before I left.
1662635520897_small.jpg

So the only thing todo was to get me some dried bud and fill the bubble bag, which I secured around a bucket with it's bottom cut out so I had a frame to work with. I used the 90 micron bag for sifting. Below is one jars worth of bud. A second jar is soon to be added.
1662635520893_small.jpg

After that I added the dry ice.
I can't stress this enough, but wear BBQ or welding gloves to handle the ice. It's temperature is -79.8°C / -111,6°F and this will create burns wherever it touches you!!! The gloves do hinder in handeling your dexterity as you loose quite some fine feeling because of it, but better that then running around with two burned fingers the whole day :wall:
So after getting my gloves I added three scoops of ice pellets until the bud was covered and let it sit while I went for a smoke break.
1662635520883_small.jpg

After shaking for some time I started to see dust appear onto the table. When the dust started to look green I stopped shaking the bag and set it aside.
This is what I was left with. A great tool to have is a cardboard name card. This is flexible enough to get everything with it and cheap enough to toss away after use...
1662635520879_small.jpg

Got everything from the table into a small container and started my run again with the next cultivar.
1662635520875_small.jpg

Each time dumping the remainders into a separate bucket with a lid so no moisture could get in.
After I was done I was kinda disappointed at the harvest from this method. The quality and quantity where below what I expected and I had to remove every last bit of cannabinoids from this lot. So I went to the store and bought me 2L of ISO and dumped this over the steaming mass inside the bucket with lid to wash the last bit out. What I didn't know was that the freezing point of ISO is -80°C / -112°F and dry ice sits at -79.8°C / 111.6°F, so this whole lot started to congeal together into a lump with which I can't do anything until the dry ice has sublimated away. :rofl::haha:

I did drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the bucket and set it over a Pyrex bowl. So when the temperature finally rises high enough for the ISO to melt, it can instantly drip down into the bowl. I've been waiting the entire day for this to happen and as soon as it's done doing that I'll be running this liquid through a magnetic hotplate and hopefully get some black tar from that to use in edibles. We'll see what happens and you guys are the first to hear about it.

For now, here are the results of my earlier work today...
1662635520865_small.jpg

1662635520851_small.jpg

1662635520839_small.jpg

1662635520827_small.jpg

1662635520812_small.jpg

1662635520798_small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Love your dedication and all the efforts you put into making this wonderful rosin from different strains, I like it a lot! Enjoy the most euphoric high possible from our beloved plant. Thanks for sharing mate!
Thanks mate!! :toke:
I also made canna butter from the remains of the dry ice sift. Never am I doing that again. What a waste of material... Next time I'm just using ice and water. Much more delicate and a cleaner result. But lets stop complaining and show off what I did... :coffee:
From the first part I didn't take any pictures of course...But I'll explain. I dumped the crumbled bud and dry ice into a bucket. When I was done with the sifting I took two liters of ISO and dumped this over the bud dust and ice. After half an hour it stopped boiling, lol...and turned into a big lump of ice. Yup, ISO freezes at -80°C / -112 and dry ice is 79.8°C / -111.6°F...
Anyway, after 30 hours the dry ice had sublimated away and the ISO started dripping via the holes in the bottom in the glass dish below the bucket. After a couple of hours I was left with a full bowl and I disposed of the remains. I placed the bowl on my trusty magnetic hotplate and let it spin away at 25°C / 77°F overnight. The outside temperature sat at 15°C so 10° hotter and the ISO will evaporate.

Ok, about 16 hours on and this is what I'm left with...I'm raising the temperature to 65°C, but the temperature probe doesn't have enough contact and doesn't register the temperature rist and so the mixtures start boiling.
1662828025600_small.jpg

This is what the probe measures...
1662828025594_small.jpg

Luckily this isn't the first time I made black tar and I remedy this by removing the bowl from the hotplate and add a couple of drops of water to the mix.
This starts boiling away immediately and cools everything down. The smell of the tar is just plain beautiful. Loads of terpenes have made the transfer from dust to oil :woohoo1:
So I'm left with at least 25ml oil and to that I'm adding a brick of real butter (250gr / 8.8 ounces) and let it melt into the mixture. Meanwhile I restarted the hotplate and set it to 40°C
1662828025588_small.jpg

Around 34°C the butter starts to melt.
1662828025582_small.jpg

While the temperature rises the melting of the butter is accelerating...
1662828025576_small.jpg

This doesn't look very appetizing, but I can guarantee you that the smell is to die for!!
1662828025562_small.jpg

When the butter has melted enough for the magnetic pellet to get to the middle of the bowl it started turning again...
1662828025555_small.jpg

Faster and faster...
1662828025538_small.jpg

I removed the audio as my dog was asking daddy what he was doing with all that yummy butter...

After everything melted I turned of the heat and let it cool down while the pellet kept everything in motion. I did this to prevent the butter from separating while it cools down.
1662828025533_small.jpg

Some time after this picture the pellet couldn't move the solidifying mass anymore and I transfered the contents into an old recuperated butter container. And placed the container into the freezer so it would solidify further.
1662828025528_small.jpg

A couple of hours later and this is what I'm left with...Let me say that this is very potent butter!! How potent is something I'll have to try out with experimentation, but I won't be using these 250grams of butter for one quatre quart / pound cake. That's for sure!!
1662828182293_small.jpg

Regards,

Buds
Hey Friends :cheers:

Trimmed the Afghan x Northern Lights x Auto up nicely today. She had been drying for a week now and smelled beautiful.
After trimming I weighed everything and was pleasantly surprised to see the amount surpassing 100 grams :woohoo1:
1662980714814_small.jpg

The amount of trichomes on this cultivar is just amazing and had to unclutter my scissors multiple times. Luckily this provided me with a nice piece of scissor hash for after all that hard work. I took everything outside to trim as the weather is beautiful for this time of year...Had myself a cup of coffee and a "light" joint during working hours as this calms me down and I can really take the time to clean them buds up nicely...
1662980714810_small.jpg

Now it's curing time and I'll come back to you guys with a smoke rapport afterwards so I'll leave you guys with a couple of close-ups to enjoy...:thanks:
1662980714802_small.jpg

1662980714796_small.jpg

Regards,

Back