Harvest & Curing Cob curing?

I opened up the bag today to take a peek at the cob. There was a bit of sour peppery smell. Kind of like when you open a jar of pepperoncini or other pickled peppers. Very little of the original traditional "dank" herbaceous green that the traditionally cured Sour Hound is exhibiting currently. It definitely doesn't have the loud spicey diesel bouquet that the normally curing buds do. The whole thing is still quite moist though, so I'm reserving my judgment until it's finished and had a chance to dry.

After peeling back the layers of husk, I could see that the cob itself looks like a block of hash with plant material in it. Very dark in color. A lot of dark brown, black and purple evident in it. Very little to no green left. It looks just like many of the really nice cobs I've seen on the forum that has the most info on them. No signs or smells of mold or rot on any of it.

I kept a tiny little nugget of it that fell off to try. I'm going to let it dry out a bit before trying it later today.
After wrapping it back up,drying off the cob and inside of the bag, I vacuum sealed it again. I'm going to take it out again tomorrow and dry it for 1-3 days, as recommended.

That will have been one week total within the bag before drying it out, taking some to sample and sealing it in the bag again to continue dry curing at room temperature for 1-3 months. I originally kept it on my germination heating pad for about 24 hours, but after I read the main thread, I saw that people were getting great results with deeper, darker cobs by keeping the low levels of heat going for longer than 24 hours. So, after the second day at room temperature, I kept the sealed cob next to the exhaust fan of my computer for an additional 2 days or so, which kept it nice and toasty.

I'll share some pics of it tomorrow when I open the bag back up to dry, along with a smoke report of the sample I took.

Here's the cob after I let it hang for a couple days. Its mostly dry, but is at the point where I will save a quarter of the stick to dry further and use now, and vacuum seal the rest of it to continue a drier cure at room temp. I read that these really peak about three months into a cure. This little cob weighed out at 25 grams. That's surprisingly heavy, so I must have put in more than I thought. It's very dense. The smell has improved after having a change to dry out in fresh air. It's still got a little ways to go though. It smokes incredibly smoothly. No coughing or throat harshness at all. It does seem to be more potent and clearer than the jar-cured version of the exact same bud, but I'll need to test this out further over the next week or two. I also intend to try vaping it as well.

D182F223-2533-4094-9A97-B4D1862D249D.jpeg

Back