Indica and Sativas

Death The Cultivator

Pondering the Mysteries of High Pressure Aeroponic
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
La Buena Hierba Panama Haze
I think it's about time the myths behind Indica's and Sativas are dispelled.

Wow!
Crickets on this one?

I have read a couple of these articles in the past and one other that had a bit more data cited, I looked for it but couldn’t turn it up. If I find it again I’ll link It here.

I am 100% onboard with the idea that there is no psychoactive difference between the THC of Sativa or Indica. In my own use and growing experience I have never noticed a difference in the high between Indica and Sativa. The main factor I have observed in my own grows has been ripeness and overall quality of the grow in determining what type of high the flowers will produce. Of course strain is a huge factor in general regardless of Sativa/Indica heritage.

I do think with commercially grown Sativa or Sativa dominant hybrids with a longer flowering time, that early harvest is more common leading to less ripe flowers with a racier high. I think this trend has probably helped to perpetuate the myth over the years.

So many breeder descriptions and the info at dispensary’s buy into this idea big time, so this myth is probably going to hang around for a long time to come.

Last edited:
I love this.

The majority of folks who work in the dispensaries around here, along with the majority of my stoner buddies, still say "indica means in-da-couch", and call sativas their "day time weed".

Fuck that! I smoked something labeled "sativa" last night and it put me to sleep lol. And some of the more racier highs I've gotten over the years have come from stuff labeled as "indicas". These words, at least how they're used in nowadays in advertising, are becoming increasingly meaningless.

Last edited:
As a newby grower but a decades long self described connoisseur of the herb I've found that a lot of strains that lean heavy towards the sativa side usually don't make me as sleepy if I start smoking early in the day if I'm smoking a sativa I can still stay up late but if I'm smoking a heavy indica I'm ready for a nap by sundown. I'm no geneticist or botanist but there does seem to be something to the claims.

What you seem to be forgetting is the synergistic effect which the terpenes have on the Cannabinoids. Most Sativa dominant cultivars contain loads of Limonene which is know for it's activating effect. :jump:

In my own use and growing experience I have never noticed a difference in the high between Indica and Sativa.
Try Neville's Haze or another very long-flowering sativa and see if it changes your mind. World of Seeds has Neville's Haze Ryder, which has a much more manageable grow time than the photoperiod's 14-16 weeks, but it still has a profoundly Haze high. Harvesting an indica even earlier isn't going to give them effects anything like that. (Wish it did.)

I think "indica vs. sativa" is a massive oversimplification and the percentages are basically useless, but different lineage can absolutely lead to different effects.

It feels to me like nerds wanna be obtuse and play semantics, while most normies just wanna know if the buds in front of them are more of a haze or more of a kush.

The shorthand works well in my opinion for the average bear, while lineage and terpene percentages can provide deeper detail for the connoissuer. Do modern hype hybrids muddy the waters? Absolutely. Does Durban Poison hit differently than Bubba Kush? Of course it does.

The shorthand works well in my opinion for the average bear, while lineage and terpene percentages can provide deeper detail for the connoissuer. Do modern hype hybrids muddy the waters? Absolutely. Does Durban Poison hit differently than Bubba Kush? Of course it does.
Of course it does, but I've seen a surprisingly large number of people seriously argue that the lineage has nothing to do with effects, and if you want to get a high exactly like Durban Poison (or whatever), you just harvest Bubba Kush (or whatever) even earlier.

Of course it does, but I've seen a surprisingly large number of people seriously argue that the lineage has nothing to do with effects, and if you want to get a high exactly like Durban Poison (or whatever), you just harvest Bubba Kush (or whatever) even earlier.

Yeah the whole "sativas run a long time so people pull them early" I'm sure has some truth to it, but at the end of the day different plants deffo have different effects.

Back