New Grower First Grow in 22 years, Nature's Living Soil

Hey xena499, I've never used NLS, but I am using FFOF. FYI I found this thread on roll it up to be super educational about growing with FFOF and wanted to share in case you hadn't seen it.

I plant my seeds directly into their final pots, so when prepping the pot, I scoop out around a softball size of FFOF from the top center and replace that with seed starter mix such that I don't experience any early nute burn. It is currently day 23 since sprout with my Roc Bud autos and I haven't done any teas, amendments, etc. I did just order the build-a-flower top dress kit and some barley mulch from BAS (thanks for the recommendation, Tom!) and will apply those when the delivery arrives.

Good luck!

P.S. Hey mods, the link I included in this post was to a thread on the rollitup forum. Apologies if that is against the rules (is it?), and please do remove the link if I went out of bounds.

Last edited:
"Our Original Concentrate was designed for photoperiod plants, the base nutrients are longer releasing and allow for upto 3 months of vegetative growth before flowering"

The meals they use in this mix are designed to break down really really slowly.. What NLS is doing is kinda silly. I think Subcool (rip) stopped using blood and bone meal later in his career when he started trying to reuse his soil.. before that he was throwing it out or using it for veggies or something I cant recall... I went onto the NLS site to look at the "success stories" section.. and most of them were from people who had plants at the stage just prior to when the rust issues would show up and the others had tiny finished plants... I may have seen one with a decent result out of 30+. The only reason I didnt completely fail the second attempt is because I filled the cloth pots with this stuff , put them in plastic garbage bags and watered them with aact and ewc teas every other watering for a month before I put any plants into them. If these guys would just let this stuff sit for a couple months before selling it, it wouldnt smell as terrible and it wouldnt be so raw.

Last edited:
This has been the most educational thread I've read since I started researching growing organic autoflowers.
Dancing Plant.GIF

@Proph another incredible post! This one is legendary! Thanks for help steering us into the easier direction.
I'm divided between starting over vs diluting what I have by 50% (then we can assume we are on the "less" side of the fence).
BOS responded to my email right away, and suggested their craft blend nutrient pack for my potential amendment/recycle-solution moving forward, and from there I will start listening to the plants.

I'm sold on the KISS and water plan. I'm grateful for your hard work, willingness to help others, and obvious dedication to your craft.
I have a lot of reading ahead, and look forward to learning how to read the plants!

Hey xena499, I've never used NLS, but I am using FFOF. FYI I found this thread on roll it up to be super educational about growing with FFOF and wanted to share in case you hadn't seen it.

I plant my seeds directly into their final pots, so when prepping the pot, I scoop out around a softball size of FFOF from the top center and replace that with seed starter mix such that I don't experience any early nute burn. It is currently day 23 since sprout with my Roc Bud autos and I haven't done any teas, amendments, etc. I did just order the build-a-flower top dress kit and some barley mulch from BAS (thanks for the recommendation, Tom!) and will apply those when the delivery arrives.

Good luck!

P.S. Hey mods, the link I included in this post was to a thread on the rollitup forum. Apologies if that is against the rules (is it?), and please do remove the link if I went out of bounds.

Yeah I dont think we're allowed to post links to other grow forums.

I live in Az, lol.. So does most of my team.. A lot of things suck about this place, lol.. But this is not Az's fault, lol. Other commonalities are that all three did not use water only as directed, all three layered their pots.. And they all used a pre amended soil to mix with NLS. As much as AZ sucks, I cant let her take that fall for this, lol.

I'll let this be my last word ob NLS..This is off of their website..

"Our Original Concentrate was designed for photoperiod plants, the base nutrients are longer releasing and allow for upto 3 months of vegetative growth before flowering"

This is the MOST informative paragraph on their site, lol. It doesn't say much but says a TON. First, the nutrients used are time released! Not a good thing at all.. Next, it says it has enough nutrients to get a photo period through 3 months of veg!! That alone give you an idea of how hot that mix really is. Not flower.. But 3 months of veg... An auto only lives 3 months max, and is in flower by day 30-40. The mix just isn't right for autos. The company is brand new and I can't find a single success story on the internet.. Hate to say it, but NLS isn't just a culprit, at this point, it's THE culprit. Maybe it's not that bad when used with water only.. That we don't know because no one has done that yet. But I wouldn't risk any more seeds, water, electricity, space, or time to find out.
You just nailed the hell outta that "Stuff"! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good eye!

The meals they use in this mix are designed to break down really really slowly.. What NLS is doing is kinda silly. I think Subcool (rip) stopped using blood and bone meal later in his career when he started trying to reuse his soil.. before that he was throwing it out or using it for veggies or something I cant recall... I went onto the NLS site to look at the "success stories" section.. and most of them were from people who had plants at the stage just prior to when the rust issues would show up and the others had tiny finished plants... I may have seen one with a decent result out of 30+. The only reason I didnt completely fail the second attempt is because I filled the cloth pots with this stuff , put them in plastic garbage bags and watered them with aact and ewc teas every other watering for a month before I put any plants into them. If these guys would just let this stuff sit for a couple months before selling it, it wouldnt smell as terrible and it wouldnt be so raw.
It smells? Jeez!

NLS does have an autoflower version of their product as well. Not sure who here was using it or not though...

"This is our autoflower concentrate formula all that needs to be added is an organic potting media such as Roots Organics, Fox Farm or Dr. Earth which is available at Home Depot and other box stores. The autoflower concentrate is designed to release nutrients to the roots in a way that matches the shorter growth cycle and also to take into account that autoflowers are typically more sensitive to hotter soils."

:shrug:

I used the auto specific one the time I tried it and it was still a pain in the ass.

Back