How do you all get explosive seedling growth?

RYCBAR

Delete! Delete! Delete!
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Just figured id keep a open mind and ask how you all go about sprouting your autos. Some people are able to get massive plants by day 14 that are already sexing.

I've been struggling to ever get such results. Not for a long time. Feels like autos went from 50 days sprout to harvest to 50 days sprout to flowering.

Is it just light intensity?
I presoak the pots before planting direct into soil.
Don't water them for 7-10+ days.

They always have a 2 week seedling phase.
Then the stems start to thicken up and you get more veg growth.
Few weeks after that is when I generally see sexing.

What are others doing?

Reactions: AMG
I just start the seeds from dry straight in the Coco or Soil now, I did the soaking and paper towel before but don't find it necessary.
Not watering for 7-10 days sounds a lot to me, are you over soaking your soil from the start and then letting it dry out to much maybe?

I use Rapid Rooters. They have a little bit of nutrition added to them. Some seed starter mixes also have nutrients added.
You can make your own seed starter mix using peat moss or coco, with Perlite and vermiculite. Add 3 tablespoons of Osmocote to enough mix for a 3 gallon pot.
Also, some marijuana nutrient suppliers sell seed starters.
Also keep your temps in the 75-80F (23C-26C) range. Seedlings love warmth.
This is not a bad deal on Amazon for $39:
  • Value Package: Includes 2 seed growing trays with 60 cells in each, 2 trays to fit underneath, 2 clear matching humidity domes, and two 10” x 20.75” seedling heat mats, makes it a complete set and ideal gift for gardener!

You will not need all those cells but having backup equipment is nice.
Amazon

I plant directly into a 3 gallon fabric pot, light misting with distilled water to keep soil moist yet not soaked/saturated until sprout (usually 3-4 days for me, I just pre soak seeds overnight and if they sink then it's game on). Once I see first 'true' leaves I up my watering but not wetting entire pot and I go from there according to how the seedling reacts. I get good growth and usually by day 21 I can see sex of plant. But it's very easy to want to overwater, I learned the hard way during my first grows...now I am much more patient and it shows in the growth & health of my plants. Good luck in your future grows!:baked:

By providing the right light intensity, and not overwatering them. Only watering when they are almost dried out from the previous watering and using plantstart. Its designed for seedling growth... and a good rootbooster. I use takeroot. If you treat them right from the beginning and they don't flower within 20-30 days they have a good opportunity to grow into monsters if treated right

I just start the seeds from dry straight in the Coco or Soil now, I did the soaking and paper towel before but don't find it necessary.
Not watering for 7-10 days sounds a lot to me, are you over soaking your soil from the start and then letting it dry out to much maybe?

Could be. If i start growing indoors again, ill just switch to coco. Hit them with daily feeds from day one. I'm thinking light intensity is another thing. I really like the power bill of a 315w light though. 8oz max limit here, cant hold that much. Need fast cycles.

The outdoor seeds started out in really nice full sunlight and still were not fast.
So perhaps its a combo of both.

315 watt is not at all bad, I got well over 500 gram with just 300 watt in my first grow.

For sure. Maybe its just genetics or being too wet to start off with. Generally I let the pot get pretty light before watering, Just prevents any over watering issues.

Hi! I spent YEARS comparing my plants growth to others, and always feeling discouraged. I have changed my method of growing over and over. I finally got to where I am comfy and happy with the way I start my plants. Everyone is different, and what some adore/love just might not work for you. Sometimes just doing a lot of reading you can get a little piece from one grower, a little piece from another, and put something together that you are happy with. If you would like, please check out a few of my grows below in my signature, as I go into pretty step by step detail from day one. (yeah, I like to talk! LOL)....Good luck on your journey.

My seedlings go from Rapid Rooters or equivalent into final coco/perlite container pre-treated with 1/2 dose nutes. From there, I feed at near or simply full strength after just about a week (now using AN pH Perfect Connoisseur Grow and Bloom, but also worked with MegaCrop). Surprisingly, the plants don't show any excess. [Why would they, with seeds grown in fully fertile soil doing well?. Also, I'm a lazy grower and not a good role model].

Last edited:
Back