Jean-O's Jean-O's Genetics : Devils Lettuce Photo/Fem F1

So when you say you’re using 125 or 150% of Jacks do you mean you’re increasing the 321 to be a little heavy?? Does that work well or do you end up burning the ladies? If so how long do you run them like that? Sorry if it’s readily available and I just missed it.

Hey there,

Yes. Running a bit heavy. So normal Jacks 100% formula is for photoperiods. I back off to 60-80% for autos. I collect my runoff in coco and test the EC/ppm. If it's below input I increase the strength until it starts to stay at or above input. I try to keep the runoff PPM below 300 over input. Ex: I put in 1000ppm, runoff needs to stay below 1300. If it's over, then either reduce strength or increase volume for more runoff. I have not had any burn issues as long as it is kept within range. Some plants are more picky so you will need to watch and see if they like full strength or 80% or less.

I did get a week where I was out of town and put them on a reservoir and pump setup. The runoff ppms climbed to over 2000 and it took a lot of flushing to get it back in range. They did suffer some tip burn from it. Fortunately it was a brief episode and they don't really look worse for wear.

These were the first plants I've grown that wanted more than the regular full strength. Beasty, hungry, monsters. The Devils Lettuce in particular was very happy at about 1200ppm of input. When I pushed the 150% for a feed or two the runoff climbed so I dropped back down.

I mix 4 gallons at a time so increases are easy. I put one "dose" per gallon for 100% mix, at 125% I simply multiply by 5 and so on.

100% in grams per gallon - 3.6g part A : 1.3g Epsom : 2.4g Part B

4 gallons at 100%: 14.4g A : 5.2g E : 9.6g B

125% - 18g A : 6.5g E : 12g B
150% - 21.6g A : 7.8g E : 14.4g B

How long do I run it? These were photos so Flowering was easy, flip the lights and adjust the nute blend.

Once in flowering I do adjust and use the Jacks "Finish" product. I blend it in week by week reducing the "regular" formula and increasing the "Finish." Again, just watch the runoff ppm and adjust as needed. They are currently on 1 Part regular and 3 parts Finish which comes out at ~820-865ppm.

I do use RO water to start which is 0 ppm. I add usually 20-25ppm of a silica product. This brings the pH up and holds it very steady. The Jacks tends to run low pH on it's own. Silica is a good addition anyways and the pH buffer is perfect. Test and tune the amount and you should be able to hit your pH target without needing pH up or down.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm definitely not a pro or as knowledgeable as some of the guys here but I will absolutely help if I can.

Current Auto grow here: 80% strength and same stepped "Finish" schedule just reduced dose.

Duuuuddeee!!! I think you just solved my issue with the Mephisto Strawberry Nuggets I gots running rn. Tbh I don’t even have a ppm pen and I know that’s showing my inexperience, but I guess this is the reason I’m in here. So I just finished the Freebies Mephisto sent me ( have them in 48hr darkness period) and totally felt like they could’ve taken way more juice. Live and learn I guess. Thank you so much I’m on Amazon looking for a decent pen now.

End of week 7 of Flowering: Day 92 overall, day 49 of Flowering. Managed to balance a 20oz bottle next to a couple of the thinner and smaller colas....... they are big.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

The End: Both plants have been cut. I was hoping to wait another week or so but the plants had become too large. They were tipping over and in danger of becoming damaged. I was unable to push them back into place or find a way to tie them up for support.

I think 10 weeks of flowering would have been ideal. This is week 8, day 5 of flowering time.

Jean0-D61F.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

Branch by branch. Many of the tops were looking ready but the lower parts were still very immature and yellow. Probably not enough light penetration due to the thick upper canopy. You can see the color gradient from top, dark to bottom yellow.

5.JPG

Many of the lower branches looked like this. I would say that a lot of trimming and training would be useful.

6.JPG

But, what about those massive tops that were pulling the plant over? They were very heavy.

7.JPG

8.JPG

Several as long as a 2L bottle.

10.JPG

11.JPG

Some microscope shots. I do believe there are a lot of clear heads here. Another week or two would have been good.

SingleShot0006.jpg

SingleShot0009.jpg

SingleShot0015.jpg

SingleShot0012.jpg

I'll update with a final weight for these two once they are dry.

Nice DCLXVI . Do you prefer growing photos or the autos?

Thanks!

I like both. The photos are fun to play with training and I do like watching how big they get if you let them stay in veg mode. A nice auto run that finishes quick and isn't a 16sq ft monster is much easier for me to handle.

I did like how I could follow a full strength feed chart with the photos and even push a bit more without issue. Autos, definitely have to watch. In the end smaller and faster autos are easier for me to deal with. I spent many hours taking down these two plants. I love how big they got, but I am old and it beat on me to cut, trim, and hang them! hahaha

@Jean-O : Interesting thought I just had. With more experience and flipping sooner I do think the photos would have finished right in the same time frame as a long running auto. I cut the DL at day 98-ish. If I had vegged two weeks less time it could have easily finished in the 80day range. Which, the size of the colas? Frick. They could have been a bit smaller no problem.

EDIT: Well! I have decided my next plant is going to be another DL, same size pot, and see how quick we can get it to finish. Maybe 28 days veg and then straight to flower. See if I can get it finished.

Last edited:
Back