Mites

CannadaJ

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I maintain a rigorous IPM protocol (neem & Karanga spray, neem meal in soil and top dress, beneficial nematodes, let the soil dry out, etc.) Since my first gnat infestation a while back. Have not seen a gnat since.

Currently seeing tiny white bugs crawling on the soil and edge of pots. They are slow and not on the stem or leaves. From my research they seem to be soil mites.

Should I be concerned and deal with them or are they part of a healthy living soil helping to break down organic matter? I don't have worms so there is no competition issue. Will a neem/Karanga/nematode dosing deal with them if required? I assume I have nematodes in my soil since I added more 2 weeks ago and spray once a week for IPM.

I would guess they came from worm castings. They don't show in any houseplants. Just my cannabis soil.

Thanks.

J

I thought so....however,

There are now thousands on the soil.surface and edge of pots (I just top fed with Gaia green).

There must be a point at which you have to control their population? What's the organic methods to control them?

From what I read they mostly come.in wo.castimgs (even the high quality stuff).

J

Those are indeed beneficial to your soil life, but provided there's enough dead plant material in your organic soil they can exploded in population.
To keep that under control you could add a predatory mite (Hypoaspis miles), which will help in maintaining the natural balance...

Back