Reaction score
What uppppp AFN

So I've got about a dozen grows under my belt now. Started in CFL's- moved to mars hydro LED's, considered HPS, but am now going with @BigSm0 's killer AutoCob's.

Currently purchasing all my hardware for a tent that's finally done the right way. Previously I ran 2x 150w mars hydro LED's in a 36x20x62 tent inside of a closet w/ 4" fan but ran into ventilation and height issues constantly that made it a pain.

Looking for advice on ventilation for the setup I'm planning to build this month. 4x 3500k AutoCobs, 36x36x72 Apollo tent, 3-4 smart pots running super autos (Think Big & Auto Daquiri Lime), FFoF soil and FF nute trio+calmag (previously used Tang's schedule which was awesome but want to give FF another go for the sake of price). At the beginning of this plan I was going to use a 400W HPS and 6" Can Fan Pro Max Fan.
Anyway, considering the amount of heat these AutoCobs put out is this way too much overkill with a 6" carbon filter? What would you recommend instead? Thanks everyone.
Btw originally the plan was to use a 2x4 gorilla tent but I now plan on using the money saved with a 3x3 apollo to pay for these COBs.

This thread will double as my journal.

Exciting! You could do a fan speed controller which would be the least expensive option. I use the titan controls thermostat plug. It only kicks on when the set temp is reached. With 4 cobs I doubt you would have any heat issues at all.

@BigSm0 thank you for the tip on the thermostat plug. I like that idea a lot more than a controller.

Does anyone have experience using the Apollo 390cfm inline 6" fan with built in controller? I'm considering using that for the sake of cost instead of the Can Fan. I also have to wonder if a 4" would be capable of managing the low heat associated with COBs to save just a tiny bit of space.

Also- I'm so torn between going with a 3x3x72" vs a 4x4x80". I want to do 4 plants at a time, and typically I run super autos. This go around I'm planning on doing 3 think bigs and 1 auto daiquiri lime. I'm a bit concerned about space being cramped with 4 in a 3x3. What do you all think? Is it worth it to go up to a 4x4 when it's in a cramped bedroom- or should I just stick with the 3x3 which would fit perfectly without moving furniture?

I'd be willing to try LST or Scrog for the first time- but I would love some input on how many plants you like to run in a 3x3 or 4x4.

Thanks for all the knowledge.

Also, I'm loving the quality of these AutoCobs and I haven't even started yet. Thanks @BigSm0

Hey there, as for the tent size and space if I was between a 3x3 and a 4x4 id go with the 4x4. That foot is nearly double the size square footage wise. It may take a grow or two to maxamize the yield in there but in the end you'll be happy you went bigger.

I'm not to familiar with the brands in the fan department. I bought a cheap ipower 4 & 6". Both have plenty of power to extract. They are also the cheapest fans I found. The one you mentioned with the built in controller would be nice. I honestly wouldn't worry much about the temps. As long as the ambient temps (room) are relatively cool the tent would stay the same. There is very little heat with the cobs and it's easily controllable.

Music to my ears on the cobs. Never gets old hearing happy reviews.

The tent is up and the sun is shining!
Temps are holding at or below 80.4* F

Pretty clean set up just need to zip tie my cords.

One bean has popped- 3 to go. They are about 18 months old, so hopefully we'll have good germ success.

Trying out FoxFarm's Coco-Loco with added perlite and (probably) Advanced Nutrients Ph Perfect Sensi Bloom CoCo Nutes. This coco has lots of organic nutes in the soil already (hopefully not too hot) so I'm thinking it'll just be cal-mag for the first couple of weeks.

Still need to pick up a Ph kit just in case.

The cobs are beautiful and my new apollo fan is working well (pretty damn impressed for a $70 fan). I was hoping it would keep the temps down just a tiny bit more but it's the warmest room in the house and the air is just recirculating- so, to be expected. At least it'll shut off at night since I'm using a thermostat plug. I'm considering removing the carbon filter for this early stage until it starts getting a bit smellier. Not sure if it would really make a huge temp difference though.

I did end up going with a 3x3x6 due to space constraints.

TleYse7.jpg

Last edited:
Trucking right along- the Think Bigs are all doing great.
The Auto Daquiri Lime has a little bit of yellow splotching and the very tips are just barely curled upward. Moved the COBs from 20" to 22" to try and rule out light burn.
Pics in order- all together, Dairquiri Lime, Think Big 1, Think Big 2.

Right now I've got my temps set to stay between 80 degrees and 83 degrees- seems to be working quite well.
No nutes.
Tap water.
CoCo Loco from FoxFarm.
522209344.870774public.jpeg
522209368.029386public.jpeg
522209381.432888public.jpeg
522209388.840254public.jpeg

Subbed up...figuring out my indoor situation for fall... about the only thing I've made up my mind on is Bigsm0s' cobs...and mephisto genetics. Maybe some DP...

Your grow looks nice and clean. I like the hanging cobs. It looks like they would give a lot of adjustabillity for stuff like staggered harvests.

Might want to keep an eye on your rh at lights off. RH will rise when they go out and it can lead to pm and other issues. Having the fan go off right at lights out can be problematic depending on the base rh and temps.

Day 11-

IMG_0311.JPG

Fan is going great keeping it between 80 and 83 with the thermostat. I'll cool it down more when it's not the middle of summer.
RH is controlled pretty well but I'll keep an eye on it.
Going with Ph perfect sensi grow/bloom CoCo formula from AN.
Still loving my COBs from @BigSm0 - although, the DP Think Bigs seem to tolerate these lights closer than the Daiquiri Lime from DP.
After adjusting the height to 24" the Daiquiri Lime's new baby leaves don't look discolored like the first sets of leaves. I knew from reading other journals that it takes a little bit to pin down the ideal distance for these COBs so I was expecting it.
Hoping to get my EC meter and some Ph stuff in the next 2 weeks- but hopefully between the triple washed & buffered FF CoCo Loco and the Ph perfect nutes it will be a non-issue.
The AN CoCo line has extra calcium in it, and the CoCo Loco is heavily amended so I'm hoping I can wait until flower before I have to start supplementing the ladies with calmag.

Still on Tap water right now. Probably start nutes around day 20.

These pics show my healthiest girl. (Think Big)
And my smallest with what I think is some light burn- at first I wondered if the CoCo was too hot. (Daiquiri Lime)

Also @Waira- is there any chance this thread could be shifted over to the newbie grow journal sub forum? Thanks!

522417984.563728public.jpeg
522417993.027692public.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW!! The space looks absolutely amazing.

Love the sticker sir!
IMG_2604.PNG

You may want to remove the reflectors temporarily too. They definitely increase the light at the canopy level.

Back