Plants seem to be falling behind…

Storm570

New User
Reaction score
I have two autoflower plants growing In my tent, a Fast Buds Green Crack, and a Barney's farm White Widow. Today is day 20 and they seem to be behind based off of other pictures Iv seen. This is my first grow so I don't have another grow to reference. How behind are my plants and what could I do to help them? The White Widow seems to have some discoloration to the leaves but the Green Crack seems to be a nice dark green. The Green crack does also seem to have a mutation of some sort. I am growing them in 5 gal soft pots with a mix of compost, peat moss, perlite and vermiculite. Temp is averaging about 75° F. Light is on an 18-6 schedule and is about 18” away from the plants. Watering when soil gets dry about once a week

Attachments

• IMG_6838.jpeg
    IMG_6838.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6839.jpeg
    IMG_6839.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
Those first few weeks u want your humidity up around 70-75%. Try to not let water droplets get on the leaves this early, it can magnify the light and burn them. They may be getting hungry, I don't know what Nutrional value your medium has in it.

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

Nice work on getting started. I mean, you managed to get the seeds to germinate and the plants to come up! That can be the hardest part. First grows can be tricky and a steep learning curve. Don't get discouraged by what other people are doing. You will learn a lot, and as long as you move forward and do better next time you will be successful.

You may feel overwhelmed with information, and new toys/gadgets to buy to help your grow along. Honest opinion? Yes, they look a little small. But! I think the color and leaves on your Green Crack look very nice. Stay the course and see how they turn out.

One big thing that I will say can help a grow is paying attention to the pH of your water and nutrient feeds.

There are several different ways to grow so decide what path you want and everyone here is extremely helpful and will guide you when you need it.

Happy growing!

Welcome to AFN Storm ✌🏻 I think your plants look well enough to be on their way to success. Don’t worry about mutations, I have at least one plant every grow that starts funky somehow and they end up as delicious as the rest. I grow in coco and fertigate daily so I can’t help with your medium and feed but someone will come along to help. Everyone has their own style and when it comes to lighting I prefer to keep my light 30-36 inches away until mid flower then I’ll get closer and turn the power down 20%. I think LED lights are more efficient at a greater distance but that’s just from experience, you should research it because I’m not the sharpest marble in the bag so I’m the last guy who’s gonna quote ya some science 🤣🤣

Providing a contrary, negative view vs. the polite encouragement so far. If these were my plants, at that age and size I'd simply start over. I presume something is wrong with your soil mixture (and/or other aspects). Do you have other positive experience with your soil?

Perhaps, next grow consider planting 2 or even 3 seeds in each pot and selecting the best growing among these (culling the others). And seriously consider using a non-soil medium, such as coco with perlite -- simpler and likely to have bigger plants, higher yield. In my biased view, soil preparation is an art, a matter of much experience, too complex, simply too risky for non-expert growers. For ex., was your compost properly 'cooked,' fully composted (fermented), which usually takes weeks or months?

Last edited:
Providing a contrary, negative view vs. the polite encouragement so far. If these were my plants, at that age and size I'd simply start over. I presume something is wrong with your soil mixture (and/or other aspects). Do you have other positive experience with your soil?

Perhaps, next grow consider planting 2 or even 3 seeds in each pot and selecting the best growing among these (culling the others). And seriously consider using a non-soil medium, such as coco with perlite -- simpler and likely to have bigger plants, higher yield. In my biased view, soil preparation is an art, a matter of much experience, too complex, simply too risky for non-expert growers. For ex., was your compost properly 'cooked,' fully composted (fermented), which usually takes weeks or months?
Thanks for the info, Iv been suspecting that the soil has been my problem but wasn’t sure. For the compost I was using bagged compost from the store for planting. I originally had read somewhere that compost/peat moss/perlite/vermiculite mix was a good growing medium but I have since been seeing more and more about growing in coco and perlite and it’s had me rethinking my original decision. I have no prior experience growing cannabis so I’m open to any advice you have to give on where I should start with the coco and perlite. Im starting to think I might be best off to find a premixed bag that is made for growing cannabis. Do you know of any good brands to get me started?

I'm a coco grower. Coco is a totally different animal, so you either need to be prepared to be home every day to feed/water or set up an automated watering and draining system. Do you know anything about your water? That's gonna be the main thing to start with... Also worm castings instead of compost is easier on the seedlings, and no need for vermiculite since peat will hold water. I think you can totally get these plants to finish as a great learning experience, but I wouldn't expect a lot of flower out of them. Feel free to look around the site and ask questions. Lots of really helpful people with all types of grow styles around here :pass:

I use Tupur Royal Gold coco/perlite mix and I love it. I chose coco because I would rather spend 10 minutes a day feeding them than 15 minutes a day trying to decide if I’m supposed to feed them or not. I use General Hydroponic nutrients which has a very easy weekly feed schedule to follow, another choice designed to keep me from screwing up. If you go that route I’m happy to help with any questions.
04C1480C-FC06-453F-87BC-6816C4905FFE.jpeg

Aye, also a coco grower myself. I couldn't sort out a soil grow worth a darn. You just have to decide how much maintenance you want to do.

( PS it's High Maintenance but coco is fantastic.)

I've been using several AC Infinity self-feeding systems with coco/perlite (near 50/50). Seems very appropriate for starting growers. It's a base holding the feed reservoir with wicking ropes hanging down into it, with the ropes in contact with the base of a cloth-type growing pot. It's very simple and stoner-proof (just refill the 1 gallon reservoir as needed) and the plants (for me and as reported by others) do as well (or I'd say better) vs. top feeding.

Back