Reduce Mega Crop during bloom or not?

lunarman

Smoke Cannabis Live with Friends on AFN
Reaction score
The calculator has you increase MC throughout bloom until 5 weeks then stop increasing and keep it steadt. See below where MC starts bloom at 25 grams and then finishes at 30 grams.
upload_2018-8-22_16-6-25.png

But I was reading an AFN thread on how to increase terpines and someone referred to a growweedeasy article that says to reduce N, which in my mind means reduce MC during flower, not increase it.

upload_2018-8-22_16-9-10.png

upload_2018-8-22_16-10-31.png

Full article: https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-improve-cannabis-smell

I know you need to read your plants and that is probably the best thing one can do. But for those that are still learning its nice to use a calculator to get in the right ballpark. But Greenleaf's calculator is obviously increasing MC in bloom, not decreasing it. So what gives with the contradiction? I know Greenleaf knows a hell of a lot more than I do so I listen to them. But this contradiction is bugging the crap out of me and I'd like to know what people in the 'field' are doing in real life and if you feel reducing MC during bloom is the way to go in general. I have some plants, my first grow using MC from start to finish, that are not putting on bud weight very well. They almost seem to be in an extended stretch that seems to be finally over, but they are still flowering slowly compared to what I've seen in the past and I find this very frustrating to say the least. Nobody wants slow bud development.

I feed all my plants from a fews week old to the very end with a base of 5 g/L MegaCrop, 1 mL/L B-52 (2-1--4; will use my MC Be-Alive after that's done). Those in bloom also get either ≥2 mL/L OverDrive (1-5-4; will use my MC Red Line when that's done), or 1 mL/L Canna PK 13/15 (0-10-11; middle dose range, but on high side since they recommend only using it a few times, while I feed bloom boosters with ever feed) plus 1 mL/L OverDrive (1/2 recommended dose). Plus always ≥1 mL/L CALiMAGic and other supplements - Bt; beneficial microbes; Bud Candy or Sweet candy; Terpinator; etc. I've got 10 Air-Pots with coco/perlite in a tent with AutoCOBs and Amare 150Crees. I don't see any problems, including no nute burn, browning or leaf ends turning under; and no deficiencies. I get what seems to be average range yield with good or better than average potency.

Regarding less N, more P and K in bloom, keep in mind it's the proportions that matter. That's why (in my view) bloom/P-K boosters should be used with MegaCrop. So, consider working up to using in range of 4-5 g/L MC, and in bloom add the recommended amounts of any of the good bloom booster out there (including lots that are much the same as Bud Explosion and Red Line).

I went to 5g per gallon (1.3gpl) in flower and started to get tip burn, so I backed off to 4.5gpg and that’s where I’m at right now. With approximately three weeks left I’m backing off the MC by 20% and upping the BE by 20. Once I’m down to two weeks I want to have the MC and CM down to half of the max and double the BE. This is just something I’ve wanted to try called the MedMan method.

I’m not big into feeding calculators as they cannot take strain nor growing medium into account. I’ve always said growers need to learn to read their plants and give them what they need not what some calculator tells them. So far I haven’t screwed this grow up and if I don’t, those buds should fatten up nicely.
2CA42DCF-625D-4305-AB26-C2212C561D38.jpegBBFEC396-659C-448A-BDCD-ECBA7B9995A8.jpeg

@Dabber hasn't posted on this yet!! I believe he's got this down to a right on schedule and way to lay it down. And after learning his final weeks program with the @Greenleaf Nutrients and trying it this week but it's a diffinet game changer for the best. I have been feeding only the bud candy and bud explosion this past week and have least one more to go and within 3 days 2 waterings of this way and the production on the flowers has greatly improved hell may have 2 more weeks to go. Which i will if possible.

I went to 5g per gallon (1.3gpl) in flower and started to get tip burn, so I backed off to 4.5gpg and that’s where I’m at right now. With approximately three weeks left I’m backing off the MC by 20% and upping the BE by 20. Once I’m down to two weeks I want to have the MC and CM down to half of the max and double the BE. This is just something I’ve wanted to try called the MedMan method.

I’m not big into feeding calculators as they cannot take strain nor growing medium into account. I’ve always said growers need to learn to read their plants and give them what they need not what some calculator tells them. So far I haven’t screwed this grow up and if I don’t, those buds should fatten up nicely.
View attachment 944086View attachment 944087
That plant is absolutely gorgeous! Great job my friend!

Ok peeps first we are all gonna grow different the way I do this is the simplest way I've found for me to achieve the best results for my set up.
I mix my nutes 5 gallon at a time and hand feed every day 2 to 4 times a day depending on plants uptake

I start with 5 grams per 5 gallon with 1 1/4 tsp SC per 5 gallon and end with 5 grams per gallon with 1 1/4 tsp SC and 1/2 tsp BE my last feeding is about 4 days before harvest

Day 1 soon as the seed pops I start feeding 1 MC gram per gallon with 1/4 tsp SC. Note SC is used @ 100% recommended dose per gallon till last feeding. If I have seeds that haven't popped they get fed as well.
Week 2 2 grams with SC
Week 3 3 grams with SC and BE @ 1/4 strength recommended dose ( this grow due to size I started BE @ day 17 )
Week 4 grams per gallon and holding with SC and BE increased to 50% recommended dose ( soon as 1st preflowers show increase BE to 100% recommended dose)
I will keep this feed schedule till I feel plants are 2 weeks from harvest then start reducing the MC 1 gram per gallon till I am back where I started @ 1 gram per gallon with SC. I also reduce the BE finishing it @ 1/2 tsp per 5 gallon

OOPS I start Cal Mag at day 21 at 100 % till I start reducing MC base then I stop Cal Mag I also ph to 6.6 keeping it there entire grow and add amendments to the bottom 1/2 of my medium Lime, Roots organic Elemental and Azomite rock dust

Last edited:
Back