Reduce Mega Crop during bloom or not?

He is referring to a common issue with GLN base nutes that when bloom happens their calculator has one increasing Mega Crop, their base nutrients, but several of us minor AFN growers have found we need to actually decrease their base nutes a little or risk burning your plants. This is something I have experienced and several other grow journals show the same. I made it to 5 grams per gallon with my last two grows but had to back off to 4 grams per gallon to avoid burning the plants, while their calculator says to push on to 6 grams per gallon. I want to see this strain that can take 6 grams per gallon, it has to be a monster plant.
I've been through about 5 grows now with Mega Crop, @Dabber got me on the MC right after he started using it.
As a rule these days, up till about day 18, plants get nothing but Recharge, Vitaroot and oxygenated water, mostly O water.
I start the youngsters off at about 2.5 - 3 grams/gallon increasing to 5 g/gallon, near the end (last 1 1/2 weeks) I back off to about 4 g per gallon.
****Note, I feed my plants several times a day, so its not unusual to go through 2-3 gallons a day. One of the benefits of coco coir, its almost impossible to overwater .
I alternate between adding during flower, Flower Fuel and Sweet Candy. If I increase adding anything in the end, its Recharge. Recharge is a good source of Molasses, my plants never really flush much in the end due to the Recharge.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I also notice that I do not need CalMag at all. I'm at about week 7 now and they are pretty big too.

Last grow, I needed CalMag rather early on.

The difference is I added a handful of garden lime to each pot and Megacrop. However, many growers that add garden lime still needs CalMag. So I'm leaning towards MC's extra CalMag content.

If results are different for different growers, it probably means some other factors are causing it. Probably best to dial it in yourself and own it.

I feel its a good nute with my limited experience. :yeahthat:Just need to trial and error a little to make it work for your environment/conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I add lime and roots organic elemental and still need Cal Mag and I couldn't agree more

@lunarman I didn’t read through the whole thread, but I’m sure you got some good input. Just wanted to chime in, I tested 2 ladies separately for comparison purposes. One, I dropped down to 2g/gallon of MC for the last 2-3 weeks and gave them about 1g/gallon of bud explosion. The other I continued with the normal MC feeding schedule (about 4g/gal) along with the BE. I didn’t experience any burns other Than minor tip yellowing which was my signal to back off, but overall the flower to leaf ratio on the lady who I cut back MC on is much better than the one who got full MC through bloom. Not a large enough sample to provide any solid evidence, but I’m lazy about my trimming and the flowers look much prettier, so if you have BE id say backing off MC to 2g/gal has yielded better results IMO

Ok peeps first we are all gonna grow different the way I do this is the simplest way I've found for me to achieve the best results for my set up.
I mix my nutes 5 gallon at a time and hand feed every day 2 to 4 times a day depending on plants uptake

I start with 5 grams per 5 gallon with 1 1/4 tsp SC per 5 gallon and end with 5 grams per gallon with 1 1/4 tsp SC and 1/2 tsp BE my last feeding is about 4 days before harvest

Day 1 soon as the seed pops I start feeding 1 MC gram per gallon with 1/4 tsp SC. Note SC is used @ 100% recommended dose per gallon till last feeding. If I have seeds that haven't popped they get fed as well.
Week 2 2 grams with SC
Week 3 3 grams with SC and BE @ 1/4 strength recommended dose ( this grow due to size I started BE @ day 17 )
Week 4 grams per gallon and holding with SC and BE increased to 50% recommended dose ( soon as 1st preflowers show increase BE to 100% recommended dose)
I will keep this feed schedule till I feel plants are 2 weeks from harvest then start reducing the MC 1 gram per gallon till I am back where I started @ 1 gram per gallon with SC. I also reduce the BE finishing it @ 1/2 tsp per 5 gallon

OOPS I start Cal Mag at day 21 at 100 % till I start reducing MC base then I stop Cal Mag I also ph to 6.6 keeping it there entire grow and add amendments to the bottom 1/2 of my medium Lime, Roots organic Elemental and Azomite rock dust
Thanks for this very concise explanation of your formula Dabber, your getting outstanding results! I'd like to ask you, what's the recommended dose of BE? I guess a 1/4 tsp is supposed to be 1.3 grams, so I'm gonna work off that since I don't have scales.

Thanks for this very concise explanation of your formula Dabber, your getting outstanding results! I'd like to ask you, what's the recommended dose of BE? I guess a 1/4 tsp is supposed to be 1.3 grams, so I'm gonna work off that since I don't have scales.
:toke: :thanks: I use BE @ 1 tsp per 5 gallons , 1/4 tsp per gallon should be fine

@lunarman I didn’t read through the whole thread, but I’m sure you got some good input. Just wanted to chime in, I tested 2 ladies separately for comparison purposes. One, I dropped down to 2g/gallon of MC for the last 2-3 weeks and gave them about 1g/gallon of bud explosion. The other I continued with the normal MC feeding schedule (about 4g/gal) along with the BE. I didn’t experience any burns other Than minor tip yellowing which was my signal to back off, but overall the flower to leaf ratio on the lady who I cut back MC on is much better than the one who got full MC through bloom. Not a large enough sample to provide any solid evidence, but I’m lazy about my trimming and the flowers look much prettier, so if you have BE id say backing off MC to 2g/gal has yielded better results IMO

Wow. I say what because I was using 6g/gallon of MC which was not working for blooming for me but my plants were not burning. So I reduced to MC 4g because of this discussion thread and feedback from everyone. And its been about 3 days, but its hard to say or see a big difference. Its almost like I think its better but it could just be it's 3 days later of just its normal growth. Like I want to believe its working. I have half full reservoirs right now and don't want to dump them. When they need a refill, I'll do 2g of MC in one res and leave the other at 4g and see what that looks like. Thanks for posting what your experience has been. I feel like I'm now doing the right thing and just need to give it some time.

I tried in the beginning to get up to 6 grams/gal, leaves would get to be a waxy green and as someone mentioned a bit of burn on leaf tips. 2.5 to 5 grams per gallon is my working range.

I tried in the beginning to get up to 6 grams/gal, leaves would get to be a waxy green and as someone mentioned a bit of burn on leaf tips. 2.5 to 5 grams per gallon is my working range.

yeah, it really depends, for Autoflowers and indoor plants, they would usually be on the reduced end of dosage. For outdoor/sun grown plants that can get really big they would be on the high end of the dosage spectrum. That's why we are emphasizing to dial-in on the feeding chart now, suggested dosage is just a baseline starting point, then the grower can adjust dosage to get maximum results.

yeah, it really depends, for Autoflowers and indoor plants, they would usually be on the reduced end of dosage. For outdoor/sun grown plants that can get really big they would be on the high end of the dosage spectrum. That's why we are emphasizing to dial-in on the feeding chart now, suggested dosage is just a baseline starting point, then the grower can adjust dosage to get maximum results.
Thats right, get it dialed in. After 2nd grow with MC, I had my fingerprint/template down that works best for my indoor medium mix and autos. I rarely have 2 of the same strain in the tent at a time so I have to stick to a more "vanilla" regiment. Additionally, I have a perpetual grow, the plants are at different growth stages. As long as I keep my pre-flower mix seperate from my flower mix, I'm golden.
Thats one of the great things about MC, it really simplifies my overall cycle. My plants don't stress and Mephistos finish within their strains harvest date. Which for a perpetual grow is important or it screws up my rotation cycle/schedule.

Thats right, get it dialed in. After 2nd grow with MC, I had my fingerprint/template down that works best for my indoor medium mix and autos. I rarely have 2 of the same strain in the tent at a time so I have to stick to a more "vanilla" regiment. Additionally, I have a perpetual grow, the plants are at different growth stages. As long as I keep my pre-flower mix seperate from my flower mix, I'm golden.
Thats one of the great things about MC, it really simplifies my overall cycle. My plants don't stress and Mephistos finish within their strains harvest date. Which for a perpetual grow is important or it screws up my rotation cycle/schedule.

Damn, when you put the benefits of Megacrop that way, in that kind of moire complex scenario, it does drive home how the simpler mixing of Greenleaf's products has real tangible benefits. I mix up 5 gallons of MC mix every couple of days for two difference reservoirs and I an whip that stuff in a few minutes with my eyes closed now. And I"m playing around with slightly different blends in each res. It's easy and fun to do.

Back