Royal Gold Basement Mix

Woodman

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
I recently bought some Basement Mix, started some beans like I always have, within like 5 days i was loaded with fungus gnats. The babys were small enough I decided to just pitch them and start over. Got some FFOX like usual and not a problem. I dont believe I was overwatering the basement mix, kinda leaning towards the bag being full of larvae when I purchased it. Is there a product I could amend the medium with so that I can safely use it without gnat problems?

Just get some Mosquito bits and soak in water then water the soil with it. It only takes one of them little bastards to start an infestation. Or like you said it may have come contaminated?

2022-01-30_12-55-23.jpg

Maybe start in FFOF, then upon transplant water with that once I up pot into basement mix? Will that stuff hurt a seedling?

I had a stint of fungus gnats for a short while...after I quit using FFOF the gnats disappeared...

Hey there. I had the exact same experience with royal gold basement mix...fungus gnats galore, sucks because I bought three bags..I ended up laying yellow stickies around and watering with mosquito bits, as mentioned above. Eventually took care of them but I continue using MB. I popped a couple more seeds last week and presoaked the pots with heavy MB, it seemed to really knock them down

Good luck!

I bought 4 bags, they are just sitting out in the cold now. I said the hell with it and got some FFOF, never had a lick of trouble with it. I really wanted to try something different then this happened. It kinda turned me from using something different. I know not every batch is tainted but it's got me so gun shy I'm scared to try something different anymore since I've had no troubles with soil,but that could change with the next bag......thanks for the input fellas.

Back