New Grower RQS Royal Dwarf/Northern Lights first grow (indoor).

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been sneaking around on autoflower.net for a couple weeks now and am finding the forums very useful. After deciding to growing my own plants, I figured I might as well make a blog about it here because it's fun and some experienced eyes watching the process never hurts ^_^.

So, i've been trying to grow 3x Royal Dwarf and one Northern lights (free seed) in a cardboard box I got my hands on. The idea of the setup is to keep things small and stealthy. I don't have much natural sunlight, so I bought an LED panel which seems to do its job very well, and an LED strip I had lying around was used as "bonus" lighting.

20220406_103924.jpg

I've installed 2 old GPU fans into the side of the box and made small holes at the bottom so it can cycle air.
20220406_104217.jpg

As i've started the process quite a while ago, this blog will start on day 12, counting day 1 as the day where seeds first touched water.
The Royal Dwarves were planted into soil plugs which i put directly into the main containers, the northern lights seed I just put beneath the dirt and watered.
So far so good, just feeding tap water and keeping lights running 24/0, this is day 12. (front right is the northern light seed, others are dwarves.

20220406_103933.jpg

Northern Light
20220406_104038.jpg

Royal dwarf (back right)
20220406_104113.jpg

all plants without lamp light,

20220406_104121.jpg

I am very curious about your opinions of how my plants are doing, as this is my first grow and i'm doing things in quite a weird way.

Hope you enjoy the blog, and your day :)

BonsaiBerry

@BonsaiBerry , I think you are off to a good start. Mine are about 3 weeks old and are about the same size.

What kind of light is it, how many watts?

Hi all,

I've been sneaking around on autoflower.net for a couple weeks now and am finding the forums very useful. After deciding to growing my own plants, I figured I might as well make a blog about it here because it's fun and some experienced eyes watching the process never hurts ^_^.

So, i've been trying to grow 3x Royal Dwarf and one Northern lights (free seed) in a cardboard box I got my hands on. The idea of the setup is to keep things small and stealthy. I don't have much natural sunlight, so I bought an LED panel which seems to do its job very well, and an LED strip I had lying around was used as "bonus" lighting.

View attachment 1441432

I've installed 2 old GPU fans into the side of the box and made small holes at the bottom so it can cycle air.
View attachment 1441437

As i've started the process quite a while ago, this blog will start on day 12, counting day 1 as the day where seeds first touched water.
The Royal Dwarves were planted into soil plugs which i put directly into the main containers, the northern lights seed I just put beneath the dirt and watered.
So far so good, just feeding tap water and keeping lights running 24/0, this is day 12. (front right is the northern light seed, others are dwarves.

View attachment 1441433

Northern Light
View attachment 1441434

Royal dwarf (back right)
View attachment 1441435

View attachment 1441436

I am very curious about your opinions of how my plants are doing, as this is my first grow and i'm doing things in quite a weird way.

BonsaiBerry
:welcome: to AFN buddy!!

You have quite the budget setup there, but that don't matter. Guess you want to grow your own and with an auto you will always have a result. How much will depend on several things, but these will come to 'light' in the near future.
Don't know if you live alone or if you thought about scent control, but those plants will be stinking up the place very soon. Let's say in a week or three and that will only get worse. So this is something to ponder about. :thumbsup:
Also cardboard is notorious for sucking water out of the air, so I suggest you line the inside of the box with panda foil or mylar (those blankets you see for people to keep warm) or the cardbord will get moldy very soon.
Oh and I would place a plastic divider between the plants so each will have it's own 'pot' and the roots don't get tangled as this will surely result in one plant out feeding the other one...

Can you tell us something about the soil/medium you are using? Do you have something of nutrients ready for when the time comes?

And don't forget to have fun! This is a learning grow and you'll soon find out what works and what doesn't. :goodluck:

Thanks!

Don't know if you live alone or if you thought about scent control
I live alone, everyone in the apartment complex smokes weed, it smells like weed here 24/7, plants or no.

Also cardboard is notorious for sucking water out of the air,
Oh I hadn't thought about that! Thanks for the information. gonna think a bit on how I make a budget non cardboard growplace :p

Oh and I would place a plastic divider between the plants,
Good idea, preventing serious bummers like a champ you are.

Can you tell us something about the soil/medium you are using
it's soil from local plantplace/idk what it's called. 20 liters in total, it's purposed for kitchen garden soil, lemme see if I can find soil values.
It's NPK 10-4-4 soil, and supposed to have enough nutrients for 3-4 months. (PH = 5-6,5)

I also have 100 grams of RQS easyboost nutrients lying around, I mix 1 or 2 pieces of it (like 1 gram), with the water I feed it every other day or so. (PH of 6.4)

And i'm already enjoying it haha. Everything is going better than expected so far :p

@DetroitDarren
Are you using 24/0 Light schedule? that's probably why mine grow faster I'm guessing
PS: Lamp is 40 or 45 watts, 25klumen LED panel I believe. full spectrum, (most white, lots of red/blue and some green
psps: I've been reading up on LST (hence the wires around the northern lights), is it worth it on the Royal dwarves for more green? I'm going to use it on the northern lights for sure to keep it low

PSPSPS Will the cardboard still get moldy and weak if I feed my plants the least water they can take? and with the fans I have pretty good air circulation. (also the front of the box just folds closed, but it isn't taped or air tight. the box is more there to keep the light out of the room as it's a 1 room studio and I have to live here as well).

Last edited:
My only other option to use a "different room" is to use my super small bathroom, I could theoretically place them there, but I'd have to get creative on installing the lights and worry about the bathroom being very humid as I have to shower there and it only has 1 small vent. maybe if I kept the fan on at all times and only showered very short. hahah, gotta live the dream I guess ^_^

edit: I might just replace the box with a new box after a while. If I keep using fresh boxes they will never run moldy :D

Last edited:
Thanks!

Don't know if you live alone or if you thought about scent control
I live alone, everyone in the apartment complex smokes weed, it smells like weed here 24/7, plants or no.

Also cardboard is notorious for sucking water out of the air,
Oh I hadn't thought about that! Thanks for the information. gonna think a bit on how I make a budget non cardboard growplace :p

Oh and I would place a plastic divider between the plants,
Good idea, preventing serious bummers like a champ you are.

Can you tell us something about the soil/medium you are using
it's soil from local plantplace/idk what it's called. 20 liters in total, it's purposed for kitchen garden soil, lemme see if I can find soil values.
It's NPK 10-4-4 soil, and supposed to have enough nutrients for 3-4 months. (PH = 5-6,5)

I also have 100 grams of RQS easyboost nutrients lying around, I mix 1 or 2 pieces of it (like 1 gram), with the water I feed it every other day or so. (PH of 6.4)

And i'm already enjoying it haha. Everything is going better than expected so far :p

@DetroitDarren
Are you using 24/0 Light schedule? that's probably why mine grow faster I'm guessing
PS: Lamp is 40 or 45 watts, 25klumen LED panel I believe. full spectrum, (most white, lots of red/blue and some green
psps: I've been reading up on LST (hence the wires around the northern lights), is it worth it on the Royal dwarves for more green? I'm going to use it on the northern lights for sure to keep it low

PSPSPS Will the cardboard still get moldy and weak if I feed my plants the least water they can take? and with the fans I have pretty good air circulation. (also the front of the box just folds closed, but it isn't taped or air tight. the box is more there to keep the light out of the room as it's a 1 room studio and I have to live here as well).
Well, the soil is gonna give you issue's, that's for sure. To much Nitrogen and not enough Phosphor & Potassium. For now this can be a good thing as younglings need lot's of N. And luckily the NPK ratio of Easy Boost Organic pellets is N6 - P5 - K12.
Keep an eye out for nutrient burn and if that happens only give water and no nutrients... :goodluck:

Reactions: DummyGrower

DummyGrower

not a big chemist here, but you just helped me better understand the NPK proportions with a produtc I use.. Cheers Bob
Thanks for your thoughts, Nice that it evens out with the boost pellets:).
Will do !

Edit: to anyone reading thread, in one of the pictures where it shows all 4 plants, you can see two very small plants in the back one. those were hemp seeds I had lying around from baking bread, and I put those in for fun (like 5) before I had the weed seeds haha. they didnt sprout until now I guess, and I removed them and the roots.

Last edited:
Hi all,

View attachment 1441432

View attachment 1441437

View attachment 1441433

Northern Light
View attachment 1441434

Royal dwarf (back right)
View attachment 1441435

View attachment 1441436

BonsaiBerry

heya @BonsaiBerry and :welcome: to afn! :toke: best canna site on the web here & anything u need, jus give a holler :thumbsup:

ppp & :goodluck:

:420:

After chatting a bit in the AFN chat, I was suggested my plants would need more light. So I have improvised in my perished ways to generate more light and added an abarration to my living space:S
20220406_180219.jpg
20220406_180235.jpg

edit: will take out led strip on top later on as it's not really useful anyway.

Last edited:
End of day 12, lights got an even better upgrade now :)
At what stage can I start giving water from below instead of above? I'm unsure if the roots have developed enough yet to do so.
20220407_001122.jpg

Last edited:
Back