"Used Tea Bag" for Seed Germination - Live Experiment

In theory this sounds similar to using spent coffee grounds as an ammendment. I wonder how the experiment would go if the tea was mixed with coco or peat at a 2/1 ratio or even 1/1 tea/coco

OK..... Update time.....

I planted two seeds in Tea Bags & 2 seeds in toilet rolls filled with lose leaves from the tea bags.

The two teabag plantings at this time have not sprouted, I think the depth is insufficient for them.
View attachment 923207

Out of the two toilet rolls filled with lose leaves from the tea bags, 1 has sprouted, 1 has yet to pop.
View attachment 923209

The one that germinated looks OK, but will need to be grown out to examine it more.
View attachment 923208

So it could be the other seed was a dud, or something else.... either way it has proved it is possible to use "Used Tea Leaves" as a germinating medium, but more research needs to be done.

The trouble is... I need 2 seeds for my tent, so I am going to wet 1 more seed (following my normal germination method of shot glass & water) and try and grow the two out together side by side.
Just to see what happens, I'm going to flush out the coco from my blackberry kush, and fill a t.p. roll sized hole with loose tea leaves. Maybe. I don't want to steal your thunder from this experiment.

@Frogster
I figured out how to make a plug from the tea leaves. Pack them in your tp roll while they're damp, and after 2-3 minutes, or when you see the roll coming apart, Peel the roll away VERY CAREFULLY. Made a 3/4 inch "plug" from...6 bags, maybe?

View attachment 920567

Can you germinate cannabis seeds in used teabags ?

A gardening show that I saw somewhere, a few years back - gave me the idea for this experiment, and prompted for the reasons below.

Tea leaves contain all the big three nutrients, N-P-K, as well as some trace minerals, in fact - tea leaves contain about 4.4% nitrogen, 0.24% phosphorus and 0.25% potassium.

There is significantly more nitrogen in tea leaves than in most liquid pot plant fertilisers. Tea leaves contain tannins, which are acidic - cannabis likes acidic.

Tea leaves also contain other compounds that are reputed to be beneficial in breaking down the husk on a seed in germination and there are useful plant nutrients in there too.

So, in theory, that humble and discarded old Tea Bag should make a great seedling food

Tea Leaves make a nice soft rooting medium, and because they have been dunked in boiling water, they’re are almost sterile.

All in all, this sounds a perfect environment to germinate a cannabis seed.

So.... I think the question needs to be asked....
"
Are used Tea bags a good place to germinate cannabis seeds ?".

But, try as I might.... I could not find any documented cannabis/teabag/germination related research.

This may be a "first of it's kind" experiment.... It could even be a previously unknown, critical and lacking area of research.
Who knows? - :shrug:

I guess that's enough reason for me to test it out...... So, my "fellow growers", that is what I am going to do....

Oh... and if it works and starts to get used.... It should be called

"The Frogster Germination Method"
:crying:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment used In this Experiment
2 x Used tea bags (Yorkshires finest)
A paper towel
A small plastic tray & lid (old Chinese takeaway container)
Tap Water
2 x "AK47".Autos from Femaleseeds

Method - How I did it
(Instructions below, if you want to replicate the experiment)

-------------------------------------------------------------

1) Fold the paper towel, put it in the tray and wet it.
View attachment 920348

2) Soak the used tea bags in water, drain a little and place on the paper towel.
View attachment 920349

3) Make a hole in each bag and poke in a seed.
View attachment 920350

4) Cover the seed with some of the tea grains and close the opening over the seed.
View attachment 920353

5) Add water to keep the paper towel wet. It will keep the tea bags moist. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

6) Put the lid loosely on the tray, and put the tray in a warm place, out of the sun.
View attachment 920354

7) Keep checking the paper towel remains damp !

8) When the seeds germinate and the seedlings pop their heads, very gently plant them (still in their tea bags) into their final pots.

The roots will easily penetrate the teabag and the paper tea bag will eventually breakdown.

So, now I guess you want to know if it works ?

You need to keep watching this space.... I only planted the seeds this evening.... I will update.

:pass:

@CannaZone Tier 1 @CannaZone Tier 2 @CannaZone Tier 3
I've had good luck presoaking autoseeds for an hour or 2 in warm green tea before germination. Never tried to germ in a teabag I'll be watching to see if the tap root pushes the seedling out or penetrates the bag. Good luck

Back