Sawney Bean Grow Shows 2023 Bob's first go at a SOG - Sawney's SOS grown in BioTabs

Sawney Bean Grow Shows 2023
I suppose so mate I didn't think about there age also you and Antonio have had my really thinking about my environment so yday I actually downloaded an app called photone and it's for dli and ppfd so I've now figured a lot more now about my height and power over my tops as I've never looked at that so thanks again to both of u
Def this. Enjoying the education I'm getting reading this as it plays out.

S.o.S. - Day 15
Hey Friends :toke:

A couple of days have past and I found it necessary for another update.

The ladies are growing like a mf'er!! And I've noticed more movement in their growth, watching the timelapses, whenever the VPD was between 0.7 and 0.75. So alongside the DLI, VPD has become my new favorite deity and I'm monitoring them multiple times per day. This manual adjusting, to keep everything in check, has given me an insight into how the algorithm for the controller should look like, but still...it is a stinker to even put in a flow chart!! This could be made easy if I had four independent outputs, being light, air movement/extraction, humidity and a heat source. But in my case the light and heat source are one and the same...
I would like to make something that's universal and can be used in all different situations, but this is one crazy setup I have here...Where did I put my thinking cap? Mhmmm...Got my smoking cap on now, that'll work to I guess...

These are the ladies just after they received about 2L of water, divided between fifteen pots. I'll probably have to water them again tomorrow, as this was the leftover water from a couple of days earlier. 3L (=200ml/pot) is about right for these ladies at this age in the plants life. For good measures I sprayed the plants with plain water, just to get them leaves nice and wet and looking lush for the camera. After that I took the 5L canister with me and filled it with hot water and set it aside with the cap off. That way the chlorine can evaporate by tomorrow and I'll have another 5L to work with :thumbsup:
1677182049283 _small.jpg

Oh...In a couple of days (around day 20) I'll be spraying these perties with their first dose of BoomBoom Spray. This will give them a necessary boost and prepare them for the transition into flower. After that they'll get two more doses, but that's for later....when they are in flower.
BTW, the important part in using BoomBoom Spray is to use exactly the amount that's in the manual. If you do that, then all you have to do is spray the plants from top to bottom until every part is completely wet and dripping. We're talkin about that dirty abbreviation, but then all natural and organic. But it's still in there folks :hump:

Anyhow, time lapse time...We continue on from last time. Duration = 40 hours, speed = 25fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Bob :toke:

@420autoflower @Antonio_DutchPassion @BigB6 @Crow River @Dankerson @DCLXVI @DetroitDarren @Don't Fear the Reefer @Eggboy @Growtogrow @HAWKMAN @hecno @JP1 @Minime2020 @N/A-Greengo @NoFrillsNoBills @NORB YIPPLS @Redeye Master @Rick Dirte' @Sawney_bean @snerval @St. Tom @stan_mephisto @Tom Bombadil @TrichomeAssassin @Vapo @Weedman30 @Weedname @Zaaboot

A couple of days have past and I found it necessary for another update.

The ladies are growing like a mf'er!! And I've noticed more movement in their growth, watching the timelapses, whenever the VPD was between 0.7 and 0.75. So alongside the DLI, VPD has become my new favorite deity and I'm monitoring them multiple times per day. This manual adjusting, to keep everything in check, has given me an insight into how the algorithm for the controller should look like, but still...it is a stinker to even put in a flow chart!! This could be made easy if I had four independent outputs, being light, air movement/extraction, humidity and a heat source. But in my case the light and heat source are one and the same...
I would like to make something that's universal and can be used in all different situations, but this is one crazy setup I have here...Where did I put my thinking cap? Mhmmm...Got my smoking cap on now, that'll work to I guess...

These are the ladies just after they received about 2L of water, divided between fifteen pots. I'll probably have to water them again tomorrow, as this was the leftover water from a couple of days earlier. 3L (=200ml/pot) is about right for these ladies at this age in the plants life. For good measures I sprayed the plants with plain water, just to get them leaves nice and wet and looking lush for the camera. After that I took the 5L canister with me and filled it with hot water and set it aside with the cap off. That way the chlorine can evaporate by tomorrow and I'll have another 5L to work with :thumbsup:
View attachment 1568214

Oh...In a couple of days (around day 20) I'll be spraying these perties with their first dose of BoomBoom Spray. This will give them a necessary boost and prepare them for the transition into flower. After that they'll get two more doses, but that's for later....when they are in flower.
BTW, the important part in using BoomBoom Spray is to use exactly the amount that's in the manual. If you do that, then all you have to do is spray the plants from top to bottom until every part is completely wet and dripping. We're talkin about that dirty abbreviation, but then all natural and organic. But it's still in there folks :hump:

Anyhow, time lapse time...We continue on from last time. Duration = 40 hours, speed = 25fps. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

@420autoflower @Antonio_DutchPassion @BigB6 @Crow River @Dankerson @DCLXVI @DetroitDarren @Don't Fear the Reefer @Eggboy @Growtogrow @HAWKMAN @hecno @JP1 @Minime2020 @N/A-Greengo @NoFrillsNoBills @NORB YIPPLS @Redeye Master @Rick Dirte' @Sawney_bean @snerval @St. Tom @stan_mephisto @Tom Bombadil @TrichomeAssassin @Vapo @Weedman30 @Weedname @Zaaboot

Love it @Bob's Auto's
There growing great
I'm thinking of trying a Sog now in the next run.
Thinking of using the Biotabs too.
Worked out I could fit 18- 1 gal smartpots.

Love it @Bob's Auto's
There growing great
I'm thinking of trying a Sog now in the next run.
Thinking of using the Biotabs too.
Worked out I could fit 18- 1 gal smartpots.
Thanks for the rep mate!!
You won't be disappointed with them BioTabs dude!!

S.o.S. - Day 17 ~ The tale of the two pheno's...

Hope everything's going great with your grows. I can't complain...living the easy life sort to speak...I do go to the tent on a daily basis, but that's just to make sure everything's aok. Tomorrow I'll have to get my toolbelt from the garage and repair the ducting. It's temporarily fixed for now, but I need to move a cabinet to get decent access, so that's for tomorrow...
Inside the tent not much of the above issue was noticeable until this evening, I noticed I couldn't get the temp above 20°C / 68°F, so there was something wrong.
First I blamed the missus, thinking she left the windows open on the floor. But soon had to apologize as this was not case :doh:
Then I checked the connection between the ducting and the connection piece to the outside wall...And yup, it was hanging from the wall. Bad workmanship in my name was to blame. Got it temporary fixed with duct tape, but it needs a clamp :thumbsup:

Anyway, If you look at the part after the second blackout (from 0:20sec) in the time lapse, you'll see the plants grow as fast as the days before and during that period the temperatures were at average 18.4°C /65°F...Duration = 51 hours, speed = 25fps. Please enjoy :thanks:

Hey @Sawney_bean,

During my stay in and around the tent I noticed there to be two distinct pheno's in the S.o.S. girls at a rate of 9 to 6.
1677356222581 _small.jpg

There's a bigger, more intermodally stretched pheno. Six in all...
1677356222561 _small.jpg

...and a smaller, more compact one. Which has nine followers...
1677356222556 _small.jpg

The smaller ones are enjoying it a bit more then the larger ladies...to be honest.
1677356222548 _small.jpg

...They are producing softer and healthier looking leaves and have a nicer color. They can take the amount of nutrients being offered really well :d5:
1677356222541 _small.jpg

Although it doesn't show it on the picture there is a light discoloration on the inside of the leaves on the larger pheno. Nothing to bad, just a sign of overfeeding, I'm sure. And this was something to be expected as I added one whole BioTab into 3.5L of medium...And if that weren't enough there's also some nutrients in the bags of soil I bought, the micro nutrient mix and the Silicium Flash. :shrug:
1677356222532 _small.jpg

The leaves feel a bit more papery then those on the smaller pheno. A definite sign of the wrong osmotic pressure preventing the uptake of water because of the high concentration of nutrients around the roots... Because of that, I watered the ladies yesterday just after lights on (yup, I'm learning ;) ) with 5L water (instead of the standard 3L) with 5gr Bactrex added to it. Each pot got soaked with about 300ml water and bennies. After that I turned on the heatmat underneath the tray so the roots stayed nice and warm. Put it on continuous on, instead of being switched on and off by the temperature sensor inside the tent.
1677356222525 _small.jpg

My yeast bioreactor is still pumping out CO², but it's slowing down. Most likely because of the temperature drop outside since this evening, which I'm sad to say, impacts the temperature of the lungroom...The mix should be good for at least one month, but as more alcohol is getting formed, more and more yeast cells die off. The trick is to keep only those yeast cells which survive those high amounts of alochol and continue working with those. It's that or go to a brewing supply store and buy beer yeast or even better, champagne or sherry yeast.
1677356222517 _small.jpg

The latter has strains that can cope with alcohol levels as high as 17%, while my bread yeast can only endure about 2-3%. There is a catch though...Price! For 1€ I have enough yeast to make 10 buckets worth, so that's nearly one year worth of CO². The champagne yeast costs 20 times that for the same amount of buckets, but the buckets last 5 times longer....
Looking at the color and smelling the mash everything is still aok with this culture. Normally I don't open the lid as it releases all that CO² and opens the inside up to infection from some bad stuff, but for the purpose of this post I made an exception.
NOTE: If you ever see black stuff on the inside appearing. Dump the contents immediately and clean out the buckets with soap and after that some H²O³ to disinfect. Because if you let it come to maturity it releases it's spores and when you breath those in, your in for a possible whole rollercoaster of health issues!!
1677356222509 _small.jpg

And finally a screenshot from my Blynk app, which is giving me more and more info from the sensors...The addition of the VPD calculation has been a real eye opener for me. Keeping the VPD into the high 60's is allowing the plants to not have to expend to much energy in evaporating water and has alleviated a lot of the papery feel on the leaves from the larger pheno.
1677356222500 _small.jpg

Regards,

S.o.S. - Day 19
Hey friends :toke:

Had to raise the sensor today as it was disappearing underneath the canopy. Some of the 'smaller' pheno's have followed along with the 'larger' ones and are about as large. So the smaller ones are becoming a minority...
1677509658357 _small.jpg

I checked the soil and weight of the pots and decided not to water these ladies today. Last time I gave each pot around 300ml water and this was enough to get the pots through a couple of days and then some. Next time the Bactrex will be added again and they'll receive their normal amount, which I prefer as the soil doesn't stay as wet...
1677509658352 _small.jpg

Amazing genetics this S.o.S. and freaking healthy plants. The amount of fingers on the fanleaves has always been an indicator for quality for me. I know this is bro science and that it's all between my ears, but still... :wiz:
1677509658348 _small.jpg

Wonderful thick, chunky Indica style leaves. And...She's starting to smell a little. When I open the tent a light whiff enters my nostrils...I love her already ♥
1677509658345 _small.jpg

Probably a drop of water that burned a hole in the leave. Haven't found any critter larger enough to do this kind of damage...
1677509658341 _small.jpg

It's cold guys...Outside it's below zero and this translates to the temperature inside the lungroom. With the lights on I'm getting barely 19°C / 66°F, but the plants are still growing like cabage. Probably because the amount of light, VPD and extra CO² has something to do with that.
1677509658338 _small.jpg

While I'm writing this, night has begun in my 28 hour / day tent. So why not show how the values look without the aid of the light...
To keep the VPD somewhat into spec I increased the extraction fan with 10%. For now, I just have to set a timer and adjust the fan back in about four hours. In the near future this will become a feature in my app...
1677511435902 _small.jpg

No time lapse today. I want the next one to be 60fps, so I need this footage to create some length... :shrug:

Regards,

Lovely work as always @Bob's Auto's - when will your gadgets be available for General Release - they do what we need as growers, top stuff :worship:
Thanks mate!! If you've got some soldering skills you can make them yourself buddy. Everything else I can post if you like. From setting up the Blynk server, configuring the phone app (I've only got the Android apk's though) and installing the firmware on the devices itself.

Sadly @Bob's Auto's I am rather illiterate when it comes to using my hands :crying:
But for real, your sensors show what we all want to see and there is nothing out there that does that - others are starting to sync up various readings and functions but no one has it al lin one place yet. One step ahead mate

Sadly @Bob's Auto's I am rather illiterate when it comes to using my hands :crying:
But for real, your sensors show what we all want to see and there is nothing out there that does that - others are starting to sync up various readings and functions but no one has it al lin one place yet. One step ahead mate
Well it's all still in 'development'. ie, when I get to it, I get to it... :shrug:
Since switching over to the new sensor array I'm sure the co² readings are correct, but the temperature and humidity it records is way off from the other sensor (on the right side of the device) that measures temp and humidity, which records the right values btw...

The light sensor (the head of the device) on the other hand is just a plain lux sensor, but with a bit of clever manipulation (ie, knowing the par2lux values for my light) one can extrapolate the ppfd and therefor also the DLI. A real par sensor would make me go over my yearly gadget budget in one go, so I'd rather be knowing a value for what you are selecting on screen, which just helps in setting everything up and monitoring it, rather than knowing the real PAR value.
Last grows I used to much light, which was detrimental for the end result for many of my tried cultivars. The one plant that did give me the right result was one that got overgrown by another neighbor and I kinda forgot about...It got less light, but the trichome coverage was way more spectacular. I never really thought about it until I saw some results from growmies on this forum, growing the same cultivars like me and showing off way more trichome coverage. This got me thinking...So this year I'm focusing my studies to the amount of light I'm giving and planning on giving my ladies, even if my temperature suffers because of that.
As well as the VPD of course. This last one has become so obvious I don't know why anyone pointed that one out to me when I first started. Or maybe someone did and I actively ignored them...:haha:
Anyway, VPD...Seeing the plants growth accelerate during perfect VPD values in the time lapse has me really going nuts to keep it in the right spot. And the only things you need to know are temperature and humidity to calculate VPD...how crazy is that! I was thinking in automating it, but for one I'm to lazy and second don't have a need for it as I can adjust everything on the go wherever and whenever I want through my phone app...So this is put aside until I have some use for it.

I also watered the plants today, they got 2.5L in total over the fifteen pots, so that's a more normal dose of water and Bactrex they received.
Later tonight just before lights out, as it's only four hours after all, I'm gonna spray the plants from top to bottom with some Boom Boom Spray. Let those 'ingredients' soak in really guuuud... :hump:
First remove the sensor of course or I'll be watching faulty humidity readings until the lights come back on :coffee2::rofl:

Back