Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Man, you can't make too much biochar!
Introducing biochar to your compost pile is absolutely the best way to "inoculate" the biochar with your flora and fauna.
While with the scale that I used to make compost, introducing biochar, was just not going to happen. My biochar compost piles were much smaller, most people here would still consider them quite large, usually about 12yds. The ingredients for those piles were a bit more specialized for an intended purpose. Depending on the time of year, the majority of the ingredients could be garden waste or harvested cover crop material. My cover crops were picked for not only what surface material could be grown, but also taking consideration the massive root structure from the material and also nitrogen fixation in the root structure . Most of the manure for this compost was from small animals and goats and sheep. None of that was from any sort of commercial operation, just people I knew that had animals. The manure for my large scale composting came from dairies, one chicken farm and various people that raised horses in my area. All were picked for their organic growing in their animals.

The fully finished biochar compost would be applied early in the spring and directly incorporated into the soil where the plants were going to be planted. The large scale compost was mainly used as a mulch for weeds.

In the early years of my organic program in my "little" garden, a few acres, You could very easily see where these specialized biochar compost was utilized when the winter crop was sown.

Back then, the only purchased inoculate was what I used to inoculate the hairy vetch seeds for them to fix nitrogen. All bacterial inputs were native and what were already in the soil. Fungal inputs were derived from me hunting leaf litter, logs and the sort.

I found very nice half gallon cans to make my Biochar in. At first I only used hardwood that I actually chipped myself. That was just way too much work, so I just started using the wood chips that the tree trimming company would dump on my property. Way less work intensive and it was something I already had on hand. I had plenty of trees lining the creek running through my place that always had some dead trees for bonfire material. Usually the cans would last about four burns before they got holes in them. Still will work but less efficient.

I still use biochar. I don't make it anymore. I've got a product that I have used on my yard that worked extremely well. it's a product made by the Andersons that is a 50/50 Biochar/humic acid product. It is micronized and then pelletized for ease of application. As soon as water hits it, it completely disintegrates. This is great when using in a lawn. You can topically apply it and it will breakdown and slowly migrate into the soil and inoculate itself as it migrates. As long as you don't work it into the soil, it's not going to tie up anything.
I just throw it in my media when I am amending new media or re-emending used media and letting it cook over a few weeks time. Like with what you did above,, they micronized biochar will be inoculated with the bacteria over that period of cooking time.

Check out my questions or proposal I posted on Tom's thread. Tell me what you think time !

Man you work on a whole different scale compared to my setup!! Respect!! :toke:

You can't see it very well on the pictures, but the insect frass pellets were all inoculated and smelling like sour cabbage and falling appart when picked up. Just stole @MasonJarOG's idea of using rice hulls and ordered 200L / 52gallon of the stuff. It's unwashed and unbleached. For human consumption, used in brewing...Mwah, who cares? It's got loads of silica and great soil properties. I can pick that up on Thursday and work that into the soil.
Tomorrow I'm buying another batch of worms from my local fishing store. These little gems are the best addition to any soil. They bring a stomach full of beneficials and create a tunnel system which aerates the soil. I've also got compost worms in the soil as all these different species live at different depts.

Last year I thought to myself, that's enough soil Bob, but after filling all my pots I still had empty spots, so I decided to pile up all the used soil from the old season, and amend with bokashi, biochar, rabit manure, insect frass pellets, diatomaceous earth, worm compost, fresh coco fibre (washed, loaded with cal/mag and washed again before adding), a couple of bags fresh quality soil and now the rice hulls. It's a continuous cycle of finding things that can be added and add value to the whole project. It's also a continuous learning process and I try to put in practice what I read about, so please keep sharing you guys ♥

Check out my questions or proposal I posted on Tom's thread. Tell me what you think time !

I'm just wondering what an introduction of fermented insect Frass would do for your girls with your program.
While it does have some simple and complex nutritional benefits, I think the immune response would be the desired result. I don't use the fermented insect frass for the NPK, but do take it into consideration for total nutrition.
With their system you use, is there a source of chitin?
Ever since I read about in one of your posts I've been using insect frass. I never fermented it though, but that wouldn't be hard todo as I could use the EM1 from my bokashi kit. The main value of the frass is indeed the amount of chitin it has. Defense wise this is a smart product to add as the plants take up that stuff and it kicks there defense system in the butt. The same effect can begotten by pressing an Aspirin (the real deal product) into the soil next to the plant base.

It could easily be made with labs, but I would probably make it with EM1.
EM1 is so cheap these days and when you've got a bottle it'll last you a long time. You can even add sterilized ricewater into an almost empty bottle and give it a week and you're good to go again.
That's the cool thing about organics. Once you have your biotope you can keep expanding it...for ever!!!
The cool thing about the biochar is that it keeps on fixating carbon into the soil, so the carbon the plants release via the root will be bonded into a harmless product, amazing how nature works :bighug:

Yeah, if I could grow cannabis like I used to grow my garden, I would have Frosted trees! :funny: :funny: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Diversity is one of the big key points in organics. Not only in what plants you grow, but with the ingredients that you grow with. I highly believe in multiple sources of various nutrients. With multiple sources, You also have different availability and that availability can occur at different times in the grow cycle.
As you well know, organics is not an exact science, but it's still science. As long as you go along with some common sense and not overutilize something, you're not really gonna get any crazy lockout or deficiency. I'm pretty sure you understand, but for the lesser knowledged, I'm not talking about products like BAS Craft Blend. Those types of products should be used as directed and with autos I cut it down to three-quarter to half of the recommendation. That's a prepared product. I'm talking about single source products or your own homemade items.

I think diversity comes into play in all the microbial flora and fauna. I know some guys like to have a microbial dominant grow and others like to have a fungal dominant grow. I've always used both in my organic gardening, so I try to do the same in container growing of cannabis. I like to make sure both are present and thriving.

You did bring up one thing that I have been meaning to delve further into for quite a long while is rice hulls.
Do you or @MasonJarOG have a link to the source that you utilize so maybe I can find something in my area or available to me?

Afternoon everyone.

Trimmed up the Ayahuasca and jarred it today. 69.96g off a 22" tall plant is pretty good I think. :pass:
20240209_110226.jpg

My fat thumbs clicked the wrong link this is supposed to be in stoner chat :doh:

Last edited:
Do you or @MasonJarOG have a link to the source that you utilize so maybe I can find something in my area or available to me?
Why yes. Here's where I ordered mine. You will probably will need to find something more locally ;)

Afternoon everyone.

Trimmed up the Ayahuasca and jarred it today. 69.96g off a 22" tall plant is pretty good I think. :pass: View attachment 1664484
Oh wow, that's one hell of a frosty bud my friend!!!

Why yes. Here's where I ordered mine. You will probably will need to find something more locally ;)

Cool, I think I can find something reasonably close.

I think that's gonna let me make my own little Top dressing product. Sprouted/malted barley, sprouted lentils and corn, Homemade or store bought bokashi and the rice hulls. I think the first use will be in the second week in veg and then any other time that I chop and drop either fan leaves and/or cover crop.
The sprouted seeds would easily last three months and still maintain all their goodness, if properly dried and stored. Just grind up seeds at the time of use and then mix everything together and apply.
Everyone in that pot will enjoy that.................. All the small garden helpers, your flora and fauna, worms and small insects.

BAS sells a similar product for $44 for six pounds. I can buy a lot of seeds for $44! :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Cool, I think I can find something reasonably close.

I think that's gonna let me make my own little Top dressing product. Sprouted/malted barley, sprouted lentils and corn, Homemade or store bought bokashi and the rice hulls. I think the first use will be in the second week in veg and then any other time that I chop and drop either fan leaves and/or cover crop.
The sprouted seeds would easily last three months and still maintain all their goodness, if properly dried and stored. Just grind up seeds at the time of use and then mix everything together and apply.
Everyone in that pot will enjoy that.................. All the small garden helpers, your flora and fauna, worms and small insects.

BAS sells a similar product for $44 for six pounds. I can buy a lot of seeds for $44! :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Back