Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Hey friends,

Added the 200L rice hulls I ordered last week...
1707757213525 _small.jpg

It was a warm day today, so I left the pile open until this evening. Just before closing up shop...Yeah, I lost track of daylight and when I got back in the greehouse it was already to dark for a decent picture...Oh well...We'll just have to let it brew for a while, but I can tell you it smells sweet inside the greenhouse now....Mhmmmmmm....
1707758733467 _small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

You've been busy I see.. so you get the growing going again? :pighug: Still need the WW or not bro? :eyebrows:
Oh yes please brother :bighug:
Just waiting on the triac dimmer for the light. According to the tracking it's already in the country so I expect to have it up and running in no time. 🤞

Oh yes please brother :bighug:
Just waiting on the triac dimmer for the light. According to the tracking it's already in the country so I expect to have it up and running in no time. 🤞
Which ones are needed, the regulars? Or also the fem, just let me know in a PM mate and I'll get you sorted tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Which ones are needed, the regulars? Or also the fem, just let me know in a PM mate and I'll get you sorted tomorrow when I'm in the office.
I've sent you a reply via PM mate :cheers:
Thanks again and Dutch Passion rules!!! :worship:

Hey Friends and AFN fam :bighug:

Yesterday my final parts arrived to finish my light. So after the kids went to bed I began. Thought I needed a couple of hours. Lol. I quit at 2am. Long from finished, but satisfied...
I had tested a COB with the triac dimmer and it worked! Yes :coffee:
Mounted the lights with some heat paste to the heatsinks.
1708015430850 _small.jpg

The project box was adapted and all parts got mounted.
1708015430838 _small.jpg

Even tested out the 12V system and a couple of the fans connected :thumbsup:

Tired but satisfied went to bed, but not before fixing the project box to the frame with some epoxy resin. Today after some things that needed to be done I restarted this project. Still took me about 4 more hours, but it needed to be done correctly!
I first finished connecting the fans and then finishing the wiring for the high voltage. Also made a ground connection to the whole frame, by drilling a hole and fixing the ground wire with a grommet to the frame..
1708015430823 _small.jpg

Time to solder the wires to the leds. Had to turn my soldering temp up to 430°C / 806°F because the aluminum boards transfer heat so well...
1708015430814 _small.jpg

Anywho...After soldering everything and measuring then entire system out with the multimeter, just to be sure no false connections or worse shorts were detected, it was time for a first test. Turned everything on and...............It worked. Score!!! I could dim the whole thing from 12% to 100%. YES!!!

Now the only thing todo was to mount the lenses. Had both 90° & 120° lenses lying around and chose to use the 120° for better dispersion. After mounting everything. It was time for another test. This time a stress test. Better to have it fail here then inside my tent? No... :hump:
After about two minutes I heard a small series of pops and all the COB's started buzzing between 25% and 85%. Anything below or above and no noice was noticeable. First thought it was the triac, but that worked with a LED bulb I had lying around. So not all COB's are DOB's. :rofl:
A week ago I would be in tears, but today I can smile about it. I knew there was a chance these COB's wouldn't be able to dim. So I've now ordered a set of DOB's, (dimmable COB's) and these should arrive in a fortnight. I've also ordered an extra triac, just to be sure. If there's nothing wrong with the first one, then I can still use both to dim the left and right side of the tent separately.

Today was a learning experience. I've learned that not all things have to run as planned, but be sure you have a back-up plan 👌

Regards,

Last edited:
Hey friends,

Added the 200L rice hulls I ordered last week...
View attachment 1665146

It was a warm day today, so I left the pile open until this evening. Just before closing up shop...Yeah, I lost track of daylight and when I got back in the greehouse it was already to dark for a decent picture...Oh well...We'll just have to let it brew for a while, but I can tell you it smells sweet inside the greenhouse now....Mhmmmmmm....
View attachment 1665147

Regards,

Hey Bob!
Are those rice hulls pretty resilient about breaking down?
In my organic program, I really wouldn't have much of a problem using it as a top dress As a barrier to bugs and for aid and moisture retention even with a living cover crop.
With as active as my media is, I'd be a little reluctant to use it in all my media as aeration, although I can see it doing a great deal in aiding a very healthy root system. I'm just a little bit leary, of it possibly tying up nutrients.

I've been migrating towards using something a bit more permanent for aeration, but something that will supply a very valuable mineral such as silica. I started using volcanic pumice. I do have quite a bit of media that I used a product that is used to soak up oil spills that is composed of diatomaceous earth. I went to the pumice for two reasons, it's a bit lighter and a little less dense and then you have all the holes in it for the microbe homes.
The pumice stays in place and does not migrate

The biggest reason I'm migrating toward use of that volcanic pumice Is me using A no till set up on big pots and beds in the future. The aeration has to be more of a permanent nature since the pots in the beds will go through many many grow cycles. I've already purchased several bags in preparation and anticipation of using the AutoPot Tray2Grow setup with GrassRoots LivingEarth bed.

Jeremy of BAS We'll be running two of the beds in his next 10x10 grow series. I sent BAS Several questions and suggestions and running these beds and I'm waiting to see how he runs them and if he is going to utilize especially one of the suggestions/question I proposed. I think the biggest and most important question in running these beds was if he is going to manually institute a Regular cyclical Dry down time.
I feel that instituting that dry down period will do two critical things in the running of the beds with the auto pot system. setup. A set dry down period will help with expanding the root system and also help with the health of it. It will also help to be able to utilize liquid amendments and not over water the bed.
In my mind, the way I think the AutoPot Tray2Grow Could be utilized and ran pretty much like an Earthbox setup, but WAAAAAY bigger and ya don't have to rebuild it after every grow. I think that the plant will develop the same root relationship with the wicking mat of the AutoPot as the plant does in an Earthbox. With this relationship the plant now has a source of clean water with no nutrients. It can now take up water and not be forced to take up nutrients along with it. As in Earth boxes, it can then can take its nutrients from the surrounding media and the top dressing with its feeder roots.

Here is a video from him explaining the system.
If it functions as I think it will, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my main means of production. The labor it will save, I think will be quite sizable. In a tent environment, the only downside would be access to the girls to do training and trimming and the sort. I'd have to start using that back door on the tent that I've never used.

Starting up the next grow would be extremely simple and could be pretty quick. After the plant is chopped, turn the water off from the reservoir for a dry down. The cover crop will continue to utilize what moisture is left in the bed and help with the dry down. Once the media is at acceptable moisture levels, I would remove media directly around the old main stalk, cut and remove the stalk about 4 inches down and then fill in the hole with plain media to either direct seed or transplant. The plain media is just to avoid any problems in germination or transplant with all the microbial activity in the soil. Naturally I'll sprinkle some mycorrhiza in the hole, But that probably won't be needed being that close proximity to the old root system that already has some established.

I think it will be a very large labor saver where I can devote some of that savings to training. I think it will simplify growing quite a bit and also provide for a extremely consistent and Potent product.

While the rice hulls would not benefit me much in the bed set up, I'll still be using Earthbox Reg & Jrs and my new three gallon GrassRoots LivingEarth bags for tests and clones.

Hey Bob!
Are those rice hulls pretty resilient about breaking down?
In my organic program, I really wouldn't have much of a problem using it as a top dress As a barrier to bugs and for aid and moisture retention even with a living cover crop.
With as active as my media is, I'd be a little reluctant to use it in all my media as aeration, although I can see it doing a great deal in aiding a very healthy root system. I'm just a little bit leary, of it possibly tying up nutrients.

I've been migrating towards using something a bit more permanent for aeration, but something that will supply a very valuable mineral such as silica. I started using volcanic pumice. I do have quite a bit of media that I used a product that is used to soak up oil spills that is composed of diatomaceous earth. I went to the pumice for two reasons, it's a bit lighter and a little less dense and then you have all the holes in it for the microbe homes.
The pumice stays in place and does not migrate

The biggest reason I'm migrating toward use of that volcanic pumice Is me using A no till set up on big pots and beds in the future. The aeration has to be more of a permanent nature since the pots in the beds will go through many many grow cycles. I've already purchased several bags in preparation and anticipation of using the AutoPot Tray2Grow setup with GrassRoots LivingEarth bed.

Jeremy of BAS We'll be running two of the beds in his next 10x10 grow series. I sent BAS Several questions and suggestions and running these beds and I'm waiting to see how he runs them and if he is going to utilize especially one of the suggestions/question I proposed. I think the biggest and most important question in running these beds was if he is going to manually institute a Regular cyclical Dry down time.
I feel that instituting that dry down period will do two critical things in the running of the beds with the auto pot system. setup. A set dry down period will help with expanding the root system and also help with the health of it. It will also help to be able to utilize liquid amendments and not over water the bed.
In my mind, the way I think the AutoPot Tray2Grow Could be utilized and ran pretty much like an Earthbox setup, but WAAAAAY bigger and ya don't have to rebuild it after every grow. I think that the plant will develop the same root relationship with the wicking mat of the AutoPot as the plant does in an Earthbox. With this relationship the plant now has a source of clean water with no nutrients. It can now take up water and not be forced to take up nutrients along with it. As in Earth boxes, it can then can take its nutrients from the surrounding media and the top dressing with its feeder roots.

Here is a video from him explaining the system.
If it functions as I think it will, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my main means of production. The labor it will save, I think will be quite sizable. In a tent environment, the only downside would be access to the girls to do training and trimming and the sort. I'd have to start using that back door on the tent that I've never used.

Starting up the next grow would be extremely simple and could be pretty quick. After the plant is chopped, turn the water off from the reservoir for a dry down. The cover crop will continue to utilize what moisture is left in the bed and help with the dry down. Once the media is at acceptable moisture levels, I would remove media directly around the old main stalk, cut and remove the stalk about 4 inches down and then fill in the hole with plain media to either direct seed or transplant. The plain media is just to avoid any problems in germination or transplant with all the microbial activity in the soil. Naturally I'll sprinkle some mycorrhiza in the hole, But that probably won't be needed being that close proximity to the old root system that already has some established.

I think it will be a very large labor saver where I can devote some of that savings to training. I think it will simplify growing quite a bit and also provide for a extremely consistent and Potent product.

While the rice hulls would not benefit me much in the bed set up, I'll still be using Earthbox Reg & Jrs and my new three gallon GrassRoots LivingEarth bags for tests and clones.

The rice hulls have just been added to the pile. I'll be checking it in a week or two and let you know if I see any mold on the hulls itself. That'll give you an idea how long they will last. I would think/hope it will compost like any other medium I've added already. It will just become more biomass, but is indeed high in silica.

The rice hulls have just been added to the pile. I'll be checking it in a week or two and let you know if I see any mold on the hulls itself. That'll give you an idea how long they will last. I would think/hope it will compost like any other medium I've added already. It will just become more biomass, but is indeed high in silica.
bob from what ive heard from the biotabs folks rocio was in the wrong industry and to have to come in and clean all the mess she had made and as far as I know me and you were just let go maybe because we voiced our opinion and you know what bro I was proper proud when you made a stand about leaving you with no products and even more sending starter packs out to people who you 99 per cent had convinced to move over and I recon karel may not have even seen your emails or maybe he said carry on as normal and she just got her power to the head moves as I said she acted like the products were coming out of her pockets

Back