Indoor In the Rasters of My 4 by 4

Rasterman

Alienated by the War on Drugs
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mango Smile
This is my very first, and by definition last, perpetual grow thread. I'll spare you the strain description, but will talk about each strain individually whenever I think it matters. Like a "strain of the day" sort of thing. :greenthumb: :shrug:

It's currently lit by two Optic II Gen IV lights, sucking down around 500 watts. These are good lights but they really 'shine' when paired with HPS and I expect my 315W HPS bulb to arrive today.

It's a living soil grow. Most pots have some combination of Buildasoil Recipe 3, organic composted chicken doo from my homestead and cheap organic inputs procured locally.

I don't have an organized or regular fertilization schedule. I reuse my soil and topdress with chicken poo and Buildasoil Craft Blend at transplant, upon flip and whenever I think they need something.

I'm new to living soil, and discovered over the past few months that it's possible to use it in small containers. Before making that realization I was using Happy Frog topdress in containers smaller than 7 gallon, and I still plan to apply it sparingly during emergencies.

Here's the state of the tent right now. Instead of listing every strain, I'll talk about specific strains when I'm excited about that strain on that day.

20230410_053625.jpg

You'll probably notice the two stressed-out ladies. They're trying to flip back to veg. The one on the left middle is succeeding. The one in the lower-right is still really confused and trying not to die.

Last edited:
So my plant of the day is Purple Canyon, a cross of Topanga Canyon OG and Purple Punch. I was growing 12/12 from seed, to get seeds. After harvesting several TINY plants, I thought I'd flip it back to flower and see if I could still get some seeds.

So far, the seeds are still fattening and growing, and as you can see, she's finally dropping back into veg. So at the end of April, hopefully, she'll be vegging along nicely.

You'll need to zoom in on the tops as well as you can to see the new, almost-normal leaves coming out.
20230411_143000.jpg

Here's another Purple Canyon on day 19 from soak. She's exceedingly healthy and vigorous. I bought six fems and plan to throw some pollen on all of them.

20230411_143934.jpg

I finally got my CMH light in. I ordered it on March 4th. It arrived without the bulb, and after waiting two weeks for Vivosun to answer my email, I ordered one online. It worked for an hour and burned out. So I ordered another one, and it burned out too. Vivosun got back to me after a couple of weeks, and sent me a bulb. It was lost by FedEx, so they sent me another one. FedEx had problems with that shipment, but they got it worked out so that it was only late.

I know Vivosun wasn't in control of everything, but the long waits for support make me not a Vivosun customer anymore. I like growing with CMH, but not with Vivosun.

Anyhoo, I took down one of my Optic II Gen IVs and put up the HPS. With two fans it looks like heat is going to be a challenge but I'll run it for a couple of weeks before moving it to a shed outside that's easy to keep cool.

20230412_142348.jpg

In the lower right, I have four Strawberry Cough cuttings that I took a couple of days ago. They're doing very well! The four tiny pots that just showed up are Sinai Landrace regulars for a seed preservation run. I plan to keep running the seeds I get until I find my unicorn or die of old age.
20230412_142343.jpg

Immediately after installing the CMH light, the plants started growing fast and happy. It makes that much of a difference.

In the same tent I'm working on a landrace preservation project, I guess. I have 4 Sinai seeds and they all sprouted!

20230413_142155.jpg

I'll be growing them in one gallon pots in an outdoors grow shed when they're ready to up-pot. But I'll also take clones and run the females to harvest in five gallon pots to see if I got lucky with this small seed sample.

This is a Purple Canyon on day 23 from seed. I consider these knockoffs, but people I trust have told me he creates good gear so I'm pretty excited about it. I haven't harvested from this strain yet, but can tell you it's a very robust and trainable plant.

20230414_140148.jpg

The breeder is Greenpoint Seeds and the strain description, for what it is, is here. (They have already sold out of this cross so I'll be keeping clones.)

Retail price for 6 seeds was around $68, but I lurked on their reverse auction and knocked ~70% off the price. I always wait for the price to get below $20-$22 before making my purchase so don't pay retail on their site.

Last edited:
I cleaned up the older Purple Canyon that's in the process of flipping back to veg. There are way too many branches down low and I want just a few colas. Plus, I'm tired of looking at all this ugliness:
20230415_075140.jpg

... So I cleaned it up so there are only a few colas on top. But I couldn't bring myself to get rid of all the lower vegetation. I'll probably have to cut more later.
20230415_075813.jpg

Seeds weren't ripe, but they're large and mature. So everything I trimmed went into a bin so I can separate and test the seeds once it dries out. I think they'll be viable, but we'll see.

As soon as she looks like a "normalish" plant I'll post an after picture.

Thanks for the tag @Rasterman it's good to see how things get done.
My problem is its stretching for the light now and not even got back to 3 leafs. I was thinking of topping it and just focus on all undergrowth.. ive no idea tbh and will watch how things go with you.
Just now I'm in in no rush as I don't suspect I'll be flowering again fir another 3 month after this lot and I'll maybe do a short auto run end of June but I must stop her becoming a bean stalk lol
Good luck with it

Thanks for the tag @Rasterman it's good to see how things get done.
My problem is its stretching for the light now and not even got back to 3 leafs. I was thinking of topping it and just focus on all undergrowth.. ive no idea tbh and will watch how things go with you.
Just now I'm in in no rush as I don't suspect I'll be flowering again fir another 3 month after this lot and I'll maybe do a short auto run end of June but I must stop her becoming a bean stalk lol
Good luck with it
I had a plant once that refused to complete the transition after a couple of months. Finally, I trimmed it up heavily and transplanted to a larger pot and it immediately started switching to veg

Topping is a great idea. Most people suggest major cutback of the plant as well, but I'm not sure how you'd do that with a clone.

I also chopped back the other mom I'm trying to reveg, Doug's Varin, and found out she's not doing as badly as she looks!
20230415_123801.jpg

She's pushing out weird leaves everywhere. :jump::joy:

This is a Purple Canyon on day 23 from seed. I consider these knockoffs, but people I trust have told me he creates good gear so I'm pretty excited about it. I haven't harvested from this strain yet, but can tell you it's a very robust and trainable plant.

View attachment 1583448

The breeder is Greenpoint Seeds and the strain description, for what it is, is here. (They have already sold out of this cross so I'll be keeping clones.)

Retail price for 6 seeds was around $68, but I lurked on their reverse auction and knocked ~70% off the price. I always wait for the price to get below $20-$22 before making my purchase so don't pay retail on their site.
When you say knockoff.. you mean they are using other breeders genetics as their own?? Please elaborate as I’ve got some shit seeds in the past.

Back