Issue rapidly appearing during photo flower

Cannaficionado

Novice
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
So I am having an issue with one of my photo period plants.

Today I came home to the 2nd branch that is green but completely wilted and almost shriveled on top. As you go down the branch it gets better but not good at all. Its a lime green color with very dry tips but not discolored just emaciated. Also super waxy and shiny on all the leaf amd bud surface.

Strain is watermelon zkittles photo from barneys farm. It is on day 30 in flower and has been growing for 70 days total.

Growing in 5gal rain science bags, with a 4:1 mix of fox farm happy frog and ocean forest.

Watering with distilled water and the entire liquid nutrient line of fox farm nutrients. Last feed was a week ago and it was week 5 of their feeding schedule. Everything but the 3 bottom nutes. Only feeding once a week and watering about 1 time every 2 to 3 days when the pot is about 1/3 its full saturated weight.
Screenshot_20230106_062126_Samsung Notes.jpg

Problem is coming on fast. This branch was fine yesterday before I went to bed and the first branch was fine when I watered it yesterday in the morning and 3 hours later it looked exactly like the branch today

Here is a pic of the whole plant and the affected area

The effected area is in bottom right corner of the whole plant pic. It is pressed into the corner of my tent as well. It is very cramped in there.
20230115_074740.jpg
20230115_074803.jpg
20230115_073413.jpg

20230115_074808.jpg

At the bottom of the foliage on affected brach.

The environment in my tent is pretty good

Temp lights on 72°f-76°f
Lights off 67-70

Rh lights on 45-55%
Lights off 50-55%

Light is ac infinity's s44 400w led board. Pretty balanced spectrum. Plant is getting abour 800-850ppfd 12 hours a day. Affected branch is below the canopy and almost completely shaded.

thought this might be root rot but it is not affecting other branches and was isolated till I removed the 1st branch yesterday. Now it again is this single branch right next to the first one. Worried this may be some fungus or possibly a disease.

If I forgot anything just lemme know.

Last edited:
What you’re seeing could be a possible sign of lack of light below your canopy. When there isn’t adequate light underneath your canopy you’ll start seeing foliage and budsites turn lime green and start to die off. A good leaf strip and a little clean up down there would be beneficial to your crop and help out with your overall yield.
Other than that your plants look fantastic. :thumbsup:

What you’re seeing could be a possible sign of lack of light below your canopy. When there isn’t adequate light underneath your canopy you’ll start seeing foliage and budsites turn lime green and start to die off. A good leaf strip and a little clean up down there would be beneficial to your crop and help out with your overall yield.
Other than that your plants look fantastic. :thumbsup:
Really!? You think so? Even though it came on so fast, like less than 24 hours. I was afraid it was the start of root rot or possibly a hydrophic pocket developing so I chopped the whole first branch now theres this one. I didnt think lack of light could cause areas to turn so fast. My problem with the top of the plant and defoliation is I dont wanna chop top much and stress the photos out during flower.

I don't see what you are talking about?

Based on the description alone you are describing the kind of damage a large worm (inch worm, cut worm etc.) or other insect can cause. Rodents can cause that kind of damage. Root rot might present like that but usually lots of yellowing with that problem.

I need to see much better pictures as I cannot see anything?

I don't see what you are talking about?

Based on the description alone you are describing the kind of damage a large worm (inch worm, cut worm etc.) or other insect can cause. Rodents can cause that kind of damage. Root rot might present like that but usually lots of yellowing with that problem.

I need to see much better pictures as I cannot see anything?
I'll take some more when I get home, unfortunately at work right now. I'll also see if I can findvany evidence of gnawing. From what I read cut worm feeding spots are usually visible. I'll also check around for inch worms.

Last edited:
looks like erratic watering practices leaning towards underwatering / dry pockets in soil? :shrug:

looks like erratic watering practices leaning towards underwatering / dry pockets in soil? :shrug:
Idk i think im on board with man o green. It only too 3 hours from perfectly healthy on the first branch to look exactly like this also happened immediately after a watering. I think whatever is living in my soil came out and munched after I almost drowned it.

This soil needs to stay evenly hydrated to avoid issues. waiting that long to water a plant that size in such a small pot with the ff line of nutes may be problematic. A pot full of ocean forrest that dries out to 1/3rd its weight is essentially bone dry.
Yeah thats true. Im actually about 75% happy frog, but its basically the same except without crab meal. It was working well. Now I think my plants are just sucking down the water faster than before and Im catching it later than I normally would. Still strange that this happened within hours.

The only reason Im with man o on this is that every article says that cutworms usually only effect 1 branch at a time on shrubs and never kill it, just cause it to wilt but leave it alive to continue feeding from the same location.

Yeah thats true. Im actually about 75% happy frog, but its basically the same except without crab meal. It was working well. Now I think my plants are just sucking down the water faster than before and Im catching it later than I normally would. Still strange that this happened within hours.

The only reason Im with man o on this is that every article says that cutworms usually only effect 1 branch at a time on shrubs and never kill it, just cause it to wilt but leave it alive to continue feeding from the same location.

Happy frog is more dense and has a finer texture but both are pretty heavy soils even when dry.. so that "letting it dry out till it was 1/3 the weight" comment was a red flag... Hopefully its something simple like that and nothing else... I use true 5 gallon #7 cloth pots with these soils myself,,
GL!

Last edited:
@Mañ'O'Green

These are the best pics I could get today. Didnt see any signs of cuts or anything on any of the branches poked around the 1st inch of soil and didnt see anything either. Looked all over and didnt see any inch worms or signs of munching on anything either

20230116_083131.jpg
20230116_083134.jpg
Screenshot_20230116_090055_Gallery.jpg

This last pic is the corner where the branch is, its tucked under everything on the far left.

Back