TaNg

Autoflower OG
Reaction score
The other lighting mods and myself thought it would be a good idea to get a discussion going about the issue of calmag def most LED growers get. There are a few theory's out there but nothing concrete,a recent theory's form Canna shared by DP Tony is that LEDs don't create as much heat as HPS and this affects calmag take up. Another theory from GN is its the amount of red in the spectrum.
I suffer as much as everyone in late flower and I try to minimise it buy having my soil PH higher than most at 6.8 and my feed is also a little high at 6.6. We would love to hear your views/theory's/ on this.

The way it was explained to me is that LEDs are more efficient at utilizing nutrients so will exhaust the amount of cal/mag in most nutrients. Kind of made some sense when you consider that most nutrients have been developed for use under HPS lighting. When bleaching occurs with LEDs from the lights being too close, the fix is to give a foliar feed of cal/mag. It's an effective fix, so that would seem to give some credence to that theory.

regarding the point GN made about the red spectrum in the LED, would it be possible to maybe alter/change the red spectrum to help with the cal/mag problems? :peace:

regarding the point GN made about the red spectrum in the LED, would it be possible to maybe alter/change the red spectrum to help with the cal/mag problems? :peace:

I know the Rebel Upgrades have less red because the 630nm has been changed to a white.

The way it was explained to me is that LEDs are more efficient at utilizing nutrients so will exhaust the amount of cal/mag in most nutrients. Kind of made some sense when you consider that most nutrients have been developed for use under HPS lighting. When bleaching occurs with LEDs from the lights being too close, the fix is to give a foliar feed of cal/mag. It's an effective fix, so that would seem to give some credence to that theory.
I was reluctant to do this since I try not to stray from feeding my mix/TLO. But, in my very limited experience, it has been a very obvious result of using high-red LED's. I guess I'll try it this grow unless I come up with another option. I don't want to try and add more lime to my mix... that can lead to a whole 'nuther bunch of issues, and I would have no idea how much extra cal/mag amendments I'd add to get it right.

Great thread! subbed...

I'm only 4 days into my first LED grow, but this is good to know, I will order some cal/mag to be prepared, thanks!

Brilliant topic Tang Hop digity
Currently running AN's SensiCal Grow and Bloom with great success :check: with a few tweaks though

In veg I run at 1 tsp per gallon of the Grow version

In Flower (Bloom version) I run 2 tsp per gallon for my BlackStar 240wUV but if I use my BS Chrome six-spot I use 3 tsp per gallon

Cheers buds :smokebuds:

Glad i found this thread.. i am root bound, but i did notice that when i added my LED at 12/12 my slight cal/mag issue got a lot worse. Me being newb and other obsticles i am facing with the girls i thought it was all me, but at least i now know that my stupidity is being exaggerated by the LED ;) lol

My LED is the BS 240UV juss in case that matters
Monkey

Back