Status
Not open for further replies.
1000018863.gif

Ive got loads of straw / hay & horse shit and chicken shit in a large pile and instead of throwing it away I'd love to use it somewhere in the garden,
Any ideas on what to do with it cos there is loads, say
12ft square & 10ft high,
Be waste not to use it
There's all sorts of things you can do with it. If it is all site derived material. You will know all the inputs that went into it................ The kind of feed, antibiotics and other drugs.

With the horse manure, you definitely want to Compost it before you put it in your soil in the garden. Weed seeds and grain will make it through the horse's gut. You need the Heat to kill the weed seeds. And naturally quite often with horse manure, you'll have quite a bit of bedding material(Around my old farm, most used cedar shavings) and dropped hay. That part definitely needs to be broken down before integrated into the soil, or you will need to let it sit for at a minimum a year in the soil.

You definitely need to compose the chicken manure with lots of Browns and lots of greens, you can get the greens from your yard when you mow.

There are two ways that you can go about utilizing what you have.
I would say the most productive and useful method would be to compost what you have. Now depending on how old it is a lot of that could be already done through abstention and cold composting. But for horse manure that's quite a long while from what I've seen. There's just lots of carbon there!

Both chicken manure and horse manure tend to Compact, so you need to introduce material that will help keep air in the pile. The best bulk material is chipped tree trimmings. You get the leaves and all the goodies in the bark. All your hedge trimming and bush trimmings on your property. And with spring coming soon, your lawn cuttings. Doesn't matter if you have a lot of weed and their seeds. Quite a lot of weeds are a pretty good source of micronutrients .

You'll need to build your pile in layers And add moisture as you go. When I'm making a fresh pile, I always use compost tea to bring up the moisture level. And I add extra molasses to the compost tea at application. That's just gonna fuel the microbes even more so.

With as much as material as you have, I'd let it sit for at least a month before I'd done anything with it. It just depends on what you have available to turn the pile. If you have to do it manually, your turning intervals are going to be quite a bit longer.

Compost is done when the material is no longer identifiable.

Or you can do it another way if you're not going to utilize the garden space for a bit.
Prep that area of the garden as if you were going to plant. You want a nice ready prepared bed. A nice rear tine tiller works great. Apply 4 to 6 inches of your manure to the top other soil and then till all that in and prep for planting.

A cheap and easy cover crop is L Bon Rye with Hairy Vetch. Grow that out and chop and drop it at the end of the season while it is still green. Let that sit on top of the soil and decompose............ If you chop it up with a lawn mower just spread it out evenly over the whole area. You can hit that with compost tea if you want.
Prepare the area for planting again, by tilling all that into the soil After it has decomposed a bit and will give you enough time to get the winter cover crop in............. Just more of the same.
When that second spring rolls around, you should be able to tell by the condition of your plants if another year is needed.

If you determine that the second crop was very healthy, chop and drop that and leave it on the surface. If you have to mow it, just do the same and rake it evenly along the surface. When you want to plant this scrape away and plant into it. The decaying cover crop will act as the first layer of your mulch.

If you're not gonna use the garden area for quite a while, I would just use the easy cover crop method.

There's all sorts of things you can do with it. If it is all site derived material. You will know all the inputs that went into it................ The kind of feed, antibiotics and other drugs.

With the horse manure, you definitely want to Compost it before you put it in your soil in the garden. Weed seeds and grain will make it through the horse's gut. You need the Heat to kill the weed seeds. And naturally quite often with horse manure, you'll have quite a bit of bedding material(Around my old farm, most used cedar shavings) and dropped hay. That part definitely needs to be broken down before integrated into the soil, or you will need to let it sit for at a minimum a year in the soil.

You definitely need to compose the chicken manure with lots of Browns and lots of greens, you can get the greens from your yard when you mow.

There are two ways that you can go about utilizing what you have.
I would say the most productive and useful method would be to compost what you have. Now depending on how old it is a lot of that could be already done through abstention and cold composting. But for horse manure that's quite a long while from what I've seen. There's just lots of carbon there!

Both chicken manure and horse manure tend to Compact, so you need to introduce material that will help keep air in the pile. The best bulk material is chipped tree trimmings. You get the leaves and all the goodies in the bark. All your hedge trimming and bush trimmings on your property. And with spring coming soon, your lawn cuttings. Doesn't matter if you have a lot of weed and their seeds. Quite a lot of weeds are a pretty good source of micronutrients .

You'll need to build your pile in layers And add moisture as you go. When I'm making a fresh pile, I always use compost tea to bring up the moisture level. And I add extra molasses to the compost tea at application. That's just gonna fuel the microbes even more so.

With as much as material as you have, I'd let it sit for at least a month before I'd done anything with it. It just depends on what you have available to turn the pile. If you have to do it manually, your turning intervals are going to be quite a bit longer.

Compost is done when the material is no longer identifiable.

Or you can do it another way if you're not going to utilize the garden space for a bit.
Prep that area of the garden as if you were going to plant. You want a nice ready prepared bed. A nice rear tine tiller works great. Apply 4 to 6 inches of your manure to the top other soil and then till all that in and prep for planting.

A cheap and easy cover crop is L Bon Rye with Hairy Vetch. Grow that out and chop and drop it at the end of the season while it is still green. Let that sit on top of the soil and decompose............ If you chop it up with a lawn mower just spread it out evenly over the whole area. You can hit that with compost tea if you want.
Prepare the area for planting again, by tilling all that into the soil After it has decomposed a bit and will give you enough time to get the winter cover crop in............. Just more of the same.
When that second spring rolls around, you should be able to tell by the condition of your plants if another year is needed.

If you determine that the second crop was very healthy, chop and drop that and leave it on the surface. If you have to mow it, just do the same and rake it evenly along the surface. When you want to plant this scrape away and plant into it. The decaying cover crop will act as the first layer of your mulch.

If you're not gonna use the garden area for quite a while, I would just use the easy cover crop method.
There's more straw bedding and hay feed through than there is shit, chicken feed & shit,
Basicly its the horses stable & chicken coop muck out that's in the pile and some garden waste like pine needles. Leaves and grass and muck/sludge from cleabing. And lots of weed branches, stems & roots too.

I will probly use it for a boundery banking along the side of the steam at the bottom of the garden, done that lady year and it done a good job.

Step one done, now into a baking dish with a cuppa dark brew coffee, covered low and slow until fork tender
IMG_1540.jpeg

Making my version of “Bahn Mi Tacos”…..although I couldn’t find any decent cilantro…..my fusion is confused :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :pass:

Edit: and homemade onion rings on the side :eyebrows: :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back