Indoor Mars Hydro grow journal: WildBill does Hubbabubbasmelloscope in EarthBoxes under MarsHydro SP3000

WildBill

TRYING TO GO "FULL TEETEE!"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
With my cherry busted, It's time for some top-notch genetics! Let's see what kind of monsters the SP3000 can make!
For the EBs, I made up fresh Roots Organics Original amended with DuMore Chicken crumble, HumiChar, Alfalfa, Thorvin Kelp. I mixed in a tote and wetted the media and amendments with rainwater with a little Yucca powder and molasses. I left out worm castings since I'm using worms in the EBs. After cooking for 3 weeks, I used unamended Roots to fill the wicking pockets and filled it up with the amended media to about 3/4 in from the top. I dug out and set a square bottom solo cup in one end. I filled up the water rez with rainwater to start the wicking process. The amended Roots Organics Original wicks very well! Even without the cover, the soil moisture at the top is perfect. This should be quite interesting.

The two 7gal fabric pots got lightly amended media from my last run that was cooked like the above and wetted in the same fashion.

I got a cheap little ultrasonic humidifier and brought in an oil filled heater into the grow room. I want to bring up the media temps so the girls will take off without soil temps hindering them. I now have the tent stabilized at 82-85F with 70%RH.

I soaked two HBSS, one Purple Kong and one Sour Stomper for 24 hours. One of the HBSS and the Kong were reluctant to sink, so they may be slow to pop the surface.
Placed them all in unamended Roots Organics Original in square bottom solo cups with the inner cup having large cutouts and placed them in their own little greenhouse between the two EBs.

Just to see how well the humidifier works, I placed it in the tent, turned on the lowest setting and closed up the tent without the exhaust fan being on. I came back several hours later and opened the window to a nice foggy view! LOL! I turned on the exhaust fan to the lowest setting and was able to stabilize the Rh level.

I'm gonna try to use CO2 at least in the veg state after the roots gain a nice grip on the media. I'm guessing about a week or so after transplant. Keeping this in mind, I changed up the tent and room a little different. I moved the fan back into the tent and just vented it to the grow room and covered the vent to the attic. I know guys use CO2 thru the whole grow and I'll try to maintain it thru flower. If anyone has run CO2 thru the entire grow, did it complicate finishing out? Keeping VPD optimal at the end can be a little difficult and I don't want to complicate it at the end.

I've placed some worms in the EBs and they've buried down. I have some avocados in my worm bin and I'll collect some more until I transplant. I clean them off before I put them in the new media. I only want worms and not any other larva in my grow. I'm gonna add worms to the 7gal pots, but I really don't expect them to contribute near as much as in the EBs, but we'll see how well they do.

I'm also going to try and make some HBSS seeds during this grow. Instead of planting another 7gal pot, I'll use that area for the clones. I think I'm gonna take three cutting from each HBSS and self three and pollinate three. I should be able to get some to survive and make some seeds. I plan to give my neighbor some seeds for an outdoor grow. Should be interesting to see how well they do outdoors.

Now it's the waiting game for the beans to pop the surface!

Last edited:
This morning, the only bean not showing activity is Kong. Sour Stomper was a confused bean with her root coming out sideways, so i just covered her a tiny bit. One HBSS is now fully upright but hasn't unfolded her greenness and the other HBSS is trying to pop up. Hopefully Kong will come up today.

Birthday for all Girls
Nice! Got some pictures for us Wild man? I know, sprouts aren't exactly exciting are they......
LOL!
I'm gonna let 'em unfurl a bit. :hump:

All beans are UP!!!:headbang::headbang:

Kong(Pebbles) and Sour Stomper just need to pop off a light cap.
Just keeping the light high up and on low setting until they all get unfurled and work from there.
Misting the dome and keeping the tent at 82F and 52%Rh.
Avocado bomb rounding up some more worms to place in the EarthBoxes. After I gather enough worms over the next couple days, I'll add and mound up some compost and bokashi and put the cover on. It should be cooking good by the time the girls are ready for transplant..... maybe by next Sunday.

Back