Indoor Mars Hydro grow journal: WildBill does Hubbabubbasmelloscope in EarthBoxes under MarsHydro SP3000

Those protectors may be enough that I could slip one of the pot trays.
Not Ph' ing you water in organics is a pretty big blanket statement. Ph' ing your water in organics is mainly just informational. That is if you have 'normal' water. Anything on either extreme, sure, you do need to Ph. especially in a small pot. Good thing I don't use little pots, but I may get something for the clones for seed making I’m gonna attempt in this grow.
My water is dead nuts consistent.......180ppm and 7.8Ph from the tap. I'm about 3000ft from the DEEP well. The dissolved minerals are good and I don't think the Ph will hurt. It could be actually helpful in EBs. I'm watering all with rainwater at the moment. When I start to fully feed the girls in the 7gal pots, I'll use the tap water in my teas and the molasses will bring the PH down as will just brewing.
My water is good but I find with some of this Homegrown Bokashi stuff and emi it would be down around 4. Same with runoff water

My water is good but I find with some of this Homegrown Bokashi stuff and emi it would be down around 4. Same with runoff water
Yeah, I've seen that and that's why I'm just topdressing Bokashi. The only thing I've intentionally made more acidic was when I grew roses for my Mom and Grandma with some blood meal and coffee grounds.

Broke 1,000 views. How the heck am I supposed to catch up to that. Dude!!! You're lucky you're being so helpful on my journal or I'd be mad at you right now :p
LOL! It's all good!
I just hope I helped ya get back on track with your girls. If you think I can help you with a problem, make sure ya let me know.

I took the covers last night and the soil temps went down nicely.
I misted the top of the media and applied some fresh bokashi and then wetted that. Cutting the X in the new cover was pretty easy and got it place well on each.

I just hope I didn't kill the worms with the elevated soil temps.

The two girls sure as hell aren't worse for wear!! JESUS!
Both HBSS surpassed Kong in size, leaves and main stem thickness. HBSS main stem is now twice as thick. This occurred in just two or three days after Kong had prevoiusly been much thicker. I can only attribute this to the EBs, mainly because most Kongs have great and I think a standout trait of a thicker main stem. Fitzy Did that trait seem to stand out to you with your Kong?

For whatever reason, I'm sure happy with the results so far in the EBs.........especially with the slightly rough start I gave them. :help:

As soon as Kong and Sour Stomper develop a little more..............three days or so. I'm gonna play with some CO2!

White side out! It very well could spread out some more reflected light to the underside of the girls.
IMG_20210126_113346894_HDR.jpg

Right side HBSS
IMG_20210126_180016975_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210126_113511813_HDR.jpg

Left side HBSS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, new name............Miss Pisa...........for the obvious reason.:rofl:
IMG_20210126_180037978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210126_113503266_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_180016975_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210126_180016975_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
elmer_fudd.jpg

I'm going worm hunting today.

I'm gonna put those avocados to work. I hope I didn't kill all the worms. I suspect they just moved down to cooler media.
The surface cooled quite quickly when I pulled off the cover, so hopefully the warmer media was shallow.

I did kill something though. The heat did kill the activity of the bokashi mat. I have no idea if that harmed anything in the long run, but I doubt it.
I'll put halves in the 7gal pots for readily available food for the worms and an easy way to check the health of the worms.

I check my girls several times a day. Sometimes it's just a pull back of the Velcro window, but most times I open the tent. I'm misting the Timothy hay to keep the moisture level up for the worms. This also slightly cools the surface temp a bit. As long as I keep to misting, I'm pretty sure it really won't harm or really have that much of an impact/harm on my watering 'program'. Pipe up if anyone has any opinion on this.

Yeah, I keep harping on it, but it has impressed me. I'm VERY impressed with the girls progress in the EarthBoxes. The difference is pretty dramatic. I might have to try the Jr version later. I don't remember if it was TxRebel/Mark or MrOldBoy, but they had a grow with the same strain with one in a Jr and another in a regular EB. The EB Jr matured quicker.

As this grow progresses, I'll have to look at my grow to see if it's worth adding two Jrs on later grows. The only downside I see is catching overflow from the rez in the Jrs. Space will be fairly tight and the overflow may be in a really awkward place to easily collect the overflow.. This may make buying a full 4X4 floor pan the most logical thing to do. That would make watering or flushing them easier. I just thought of a way to make collection easier. I could make a wooden insert to go under the pan and give the insert a slight rake to make the water flow to the front of the tent. It wouldn't have to be much of an incline for it to work well, if the design of bottom of the pan can work well with a slight incline. ...........if the built in structure for strength helps or impedes the flow of water.
pop22
You have a full 4x4 pan. What do you think about my insert idea?

Yeah, I keep harping on it, but it has impressed me. I'm VERY impressed with the girls progress in the EarthBoxes. The difference is pretty dramatic. I might have to try the Jr version later. I don't remember if it was TxRebel/Mark or MrOldBoy, but they had a grow with the same strain with one in a Jr and another in a regular EB. The EB Jr matured quicker.

As this grow progresses, I'll have to look at my grow to see if it's worth adding two Jrs on later grows. The only downside I see is catching overflow from the rez in the Jrs. Space will be fairly tight and the overflow may be in a really awkward place to easily collect the overflow.. This may make buying a full 4X4 floor pan the most logical thing to do. That would make watering or flushing them easier. I just thought of a way to make collection easier. I could make a wooden insert to go under the pan and give the insert a slight rake to make the water flow to the front of the tent. It wouldn't have to be much of an incline for it to work well, if the design of bottom of the pan can work well with a slight incline. ...........if the built in structure for strength helps or impedes the flow of water.

I'm curious if you've considered the "root and veg" version of the EB? I'm not sure about the res size because they don't consistently mention that from one model to the next, but from looking at their "ready to go" page, I notice that the root and veg holds twice as much soil as the Jr. The biggest drawback for me is height, the R&V is about twice as tall as the Jr., and I have height limitations.

I've been looking into to this a bit, because I have a 2x4 space and could fit two Jr.'s or three R&V models. I don't think I've seen anyone growing cannabis from the R&V, and I'm wondering why?

I'm curious if you've considered the "root and veg" version of the EB? I'm not sure about the res size because they don't consistently mention that from one model to the next, but from looking at their "ready to go" page, I notice that the root and veg holds twice as much soil as the Jr. The biggest drawback for me is height, the R&V is about twice as tall as the Jr., and I have height limitations.

I've been looking into to this a bit, because I have a 2x4 space and could fit two Jr.'s or three R&V models. I don't think I've seen anyone growing cannabis from the R&V, and I'm wondering why?
I'll have to look at that one.
The biggest thing to look for is media height. I do think the EB regular is pretty close to the Max height for the wicking action to work well. I'll be able to tell more as this grow runs it;s course.

Humanrob
Take a look at this review. The key point I see is the placement of the drain hole. You could fix that with making your own hole and maybe put in a small short pipe to ease overflow collection. The screen covers being flimsy may or may not be a problem. It may be that you could add some reinforcement of your own. If you want to only use it stock without mods, I'd say no to it.
The Positive point is I think the media height on the pot is less than the reg EB.

First let me say I love the regular Earthbox; However the Root & Veg are really poorly designed and executed. Unfortunately I bought three of these useless boxes (1) The drain hole is ABOVE the screen which means there will be no drainage, (2) The screen corners are not reinforced so they collapse to the bottom of the box, and (3) the cover does not fit. My recommendation is to stick with the regular Earthbox and avoid the Root and

Humanrob
Take a look at this review. The key point I see is the placement of the drain hole. You could fix that with making your own hole and maybe put in a small short pipe to ease overflow collection. The screen covers being flimsy may or may not be a problem. It may be that you could add some reinforcement of your own. If you want to only use it stock without mods, I'd say no to it.
The Positive point is I think the media height on the pot is less than the reg EB.

First let me say I love the regular Earthbox; However the Root & Veg are really poorly designed and executed. Unfortunately I bought three of these useless boxes (1) The drain hole is ABOVE the screen which means there will be no drainage, (2) The screen corners are not reinforced so they collapse to the bottom of the box, and (3) the cover does not fit. My recommendation is to stick with the regular Earthbox and avoid the Root and
Thanks for that information! Surprising, given how long EB has been around and their apparent success, that they have not addressed these basic and seemingly easy to fix problems.

I can think about building some again. I've built at least a half dozen sips using very different components for starting points (and then several each of the ones that worked best). I've just gotten away from it. The ones that I didn't like I disassembled and recycled, and the ones that worked best were all too big for my current space. I used to grow photos in them, and worked my way up to large amounts of both soil and water for long veg times and lots of training.

The challenge is having ample soil and water in a small footprint without gaining too much height. I've got time, it'll be next fall before I need to cross this bridge. It's also possible that given my space and goals, sips may not be practical for me.

Here are some pics from my last sip grow. I don't recall if it was a 7 or 10 gallon fabric pot, it was over a 10 gallon res. It was a GG4 from a clone that I scrog'd and then cut the whole thing off to trim. I was concerned with vertical space and the height of the sip, so I trained this one hard. I ended out doing too good a job with that, and training into the beginning of the stretch caused it to produce lots of smaller buds. That wasn't my goal, but live and learn.

02.01.18_3x3whole.jpg04.29.18_3x3gg4-hanging-front.jpg04.29.18_3x3hanging-side.jpg04.29.18_3x3gg4bottom-hanging.jpg

Last edited:
Back