Neem Fertilizer the soil growers best friend.

sour.b

Clean Medicine
Reaction score
Hi AFN,

As many of you, I had problem with bugs. Gnats, thrips and all sorts!
As many I tried several products, mixes and concoctions to try and get rid of the unwanted little fuckers even introducing some killer bugs, some worked some didn't..

I grow organically and the chances are that if you do grow organically, you will experience bugs.
There is chances that you will experience them even if you don't grow organically.

But there is something that as been working for a few month for me without a trace of any little bastards.

Let's talk about Neem Fertiliser, Neem Cakes, Neem Powder. I got the tip from one of ours here on AFN maybe @Dazed or @Grim Reefer a few month back ??

A bit of history first. (this is a copy paste from different sites on the web)
neemtree.jpg

The Neem Tree - Azadirachta Indica - has been used in India for thousands of years.

Freely giving natural medicines, soaps, oils, pesticides and fertilizer while happily growing in drought affected wastelands.
This wonderful plant puts so much back !

Neem Cake is the residue obtained from neem seed kernels which have been crushed to extract the oil. It is an excellent Organic Soil Amendment. Neem Cake has been known to enrich the soil and protect the plant.

The active content of neem tree, azadirachtin, a naturally occurring substance belonging to an organic class of molecule called tetranortriterpenoids is used in agrochemicals like insecticides and pesticides to protect the plants. The active ingredient acts by hampering the growth process of an insect from larva to pupa to adult. It further inhibits the production of insects and acts as a cover shield for plants. This active ingredient also has anti feedant properties for insects thus breaking their life cycle.

Plantonic
  • Helps fix Nitrogen in soil.
  • Facilitates Nitrogen absorption by plants.
  • Regulates slow and controled release of Nitrogen.
  • Enhances natural fragrances and flavours.
  • Increases the crop yield.
  • Promotes stronger and healthier growth.

So on top of basically eradicating any form of unwanted insects it also improve the quality of the soil greatly and the population of worms seems more abundant so the micro in there is also improved :thumbsup:

The first time I used it was in between April and June this year I think, I had a fungus gnats and/or thrips infestation. I top dressed with a small hand full of Neem Fertilizer, within one to two week all were gone with the help of some yellow sticky tabs to get the adults..

I since mix it in my soil, a big hand full into 15L of soil and I never had a bug in the cab since.

The one I use is Green It by House of Mistry >http://www.houseofmistry.com/more/fertiliser/greenit-neem-fertiliser-2kg-543
£10 for 5kgs
In the Uk there aswell > http://www.thenaturalgardener.co.uk/neem_natural_fertilizer.php

US ( I think) >http://www.neemresource.com/NeemCake.html
or that http://www.kisorganics.com/products/shop/neem-cake

Anyway a quick look online will probably have a great cheap and organic solution near you!

Not sure if I am allowed to post links or if I am in the right thread. Mods please feel free to amend move and that.

Feels good to share! :smokeout:

Peace AFN.

:peace:

Hey hey!

Great post with some great information, the reference points of where you can get the stuff shouldn't be a problem. As long as you aren't personally selling it from those sites which clearly you're not I don't believe it goes against the TOU.

I never looked too much into neem as a fertilizer, I've always used it as an attack but I have read before and see here from the information you posted it's much better used as a preventative measure. It's one of the only organic pesticide products as well, so for folks who grow all natural - it's important to know as much as possible about the stuff.

:slap:

Heya Sourb.
Thats a great read, thanks for posting.
I dont think i advised that neem product to you, it could have been Dazed.
I would of said to use this as its organic but i think its only for gnats.

:greenthumb:..great find SB, some good info and references here,...I'm thinking of moving this to Organics as a sticky! Otherwise, it'll sink into obscurity here,..too much turnover in sickbay :coffee:... feel free to expand on this more if you like :clapper:....:thanks:

I used Neem from the onset of my most recent grow and it seems to have helped. Before I planted the seeds I diluted pure Neem with water and sprayed the inside of my "nursery" (where I germinate and keep the seedlings for a few weeks). I also sprayed the entire surface of the containers plus the top of the soil around, but not directly on top of, where I planted the seeds. I sprayed again once a week later and once again when I saw a small flying pest.

I have spotted nothing besides the one small flying insect. The plants are now in the big tent and are healthy and happy. I will always use Neem during the "buggy" months!

Back