Outdoor Strategies

Even the newer ones? I know they used to be some chemical..but with in the last few years I have been seeing them made out of natural sources. Corn starch or something like that. I have never used them. I Don't want to use anything if it is gonna hurt the ground. Even if I don't reuse the spot I don't want to poison the ground.

thbk there are newer ones that are made from corn or something... they are safer i beleieve...

I have never seen that stuff before. That was pretty wild. Thanks for the link.

I grew long season girls in the same are of my autos. Cept all my Long season girls were in the ground. I dug a couple gallon hole down in to the red clay. Also I mulched heavily 3-5 inches of commercial wood chip mulch. I rarely had to water them. I will be doing that again this year. But will be doing so with some cardboard round the same size of the hole a couple inches below the surface. Seen some people doing it on utube also stops weeds. Gotta try maybe with some with holes in it so the water can be absorbed easily. Just trying to find something besides actual mulch as it is bulky and heavy. I tried mulching with leaves and such on site but they just don't do as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new at this, but I am going to try putting down burlap sack material about 8" below the surface because I know it retains moisture well and the roots will also grow through it well and help stabilize the plants in the loose soil, just a thought, we'll see how well it works this spring

I stumbled across an old power line clearing today. No more power lines run over it. It is almost impossible to get to. Briars galore.....Perfect. I have to scout around to find another way in. I am really stoked about this plot. I am gonna be shooting for 4 plots this year. One for the rippers, weather, the fuzz, and one for me. :)

I just hope there is not anymore left over poison in the ground. There hasn't been any lines there for like ten years at least.

10 years would seem like long enough.

The undergrowth hasn't fully taken over yet?

I found a nice clear cut logging area last year, that is just a few years into the new growth.. Hell every tree out there looks like a little MJ plant. I'm going to put a good # in there.

I switched from in-ground to pots last year with good success. I've been using the same remote spot for 5 years and the last two have been disasters. Year before spider mites did me in. Last year it was 28 straight days of 95+ degree temps and no rain. I just can't get there often enough to control the mites or carry enough water when the weather is that hot and dry. So last year as an experiment I had 5 full size plants in pots in another location. Two were in 15 gallon and 3 in five. One of the ones in the 5 gallon was a male, which I of course destroyed. I then transplanted the other two into 10 gallon pots. This spot is closer and easier to monitor and tend. The results were so good that this year I'm not going to plant in the remote spot. Just too much work for too little results. I'm planning on six 15 gallon pots this year. I had problems with the pots blowing over late in the grow when the plants were big. This year I intend to partially bury them, maybe 1/3 of the way. I've also got another spot scoped out that I'm going to try. Again, it's close by so will be easy to tend. I'm thinking of putting about 6 super autos there in 10 gallon pots. I've also got a spot behind my garage where I do a continuous grow of autos in 3 gallon pots all summer. I usually have about 8-10 at various stages of growth going all the time. I also consider these to be my decoy plants. If LEO did happen to show up my hope is that they would be satisfied with the 10 or so autos and not go looking for anything else.

I like to LST my outdoor plants. I drilled some holes around the lip of the pots and used bailing twine to tie the branches down. This worked good until the buds started to get heavy. Then I had to tie them up to support the weight of the buds. I'm going to try something different this year. I'm going to place a half dozen or so 5' long bamboo poles around the inside of the pot before I fill them with soil. This will give me something to tie to when LSTing and hopefully will provide better support for the buds. I had thought about using some 4" square welded wire fencing and simply run the branches through the openings but decided that would be more obvious than the bamboo poles.

To help hold moisture in I mulch with straw and grass clippings. I don't do this until the plants are a couple feet tall. When they are still young and the pots aren't full of roots, they retain moisture pretty well. But once the pot becomes full of roots they suck the water up quickly. I let the clippings dry out for a couple days before mulching. Grass clippings can mold if put on while still green and by letting them dry first I haven't had any mold issues. I also think partially burying them will help as less of the pots will be exposed to the sun so shouldn't dry out as quickly. Last year I was watering every 3 days until the roots filled the pots, then every other day. I'm hoping that by burying and mulching I can keep it to every 3 days.

So who plants in the ground and who in pots?
In pots how do you keep them from drying out?

I would love to try a semi stealth guerrilla homemade earth box. Water once a week or so.?

Yeah it is super grown over. I found an old blacktop road(what is left of it) in the woods. And it is off of that. No trees really came back in there thought. My guess is that the plants they let remain got a strong hold before trees could try. The bushes and brairs I am gonna have to get through tho are mad. Just the way I like it. Some of them had trunks like small trees.

I stumbled across an old power line clearing today. No more power lines run over it. It is almost impossible to get to. Briars galore.....Perfect. I have to scout around to find another way in. I am really stoked about this plot. I am gonna be shooting for 4 plots this year. One for the rippers, weather, the fuzz, and one for me. :)

I just hope there is not anymore left over poison in the ground. There hasn't been any lines there for like ten years at least.​

this sounds like a killer spot for you ... poisons should be long gone by now... even organic certifcation of soil can done after three years of "soil rest" from pesticides that are not organic certified. 10 years of rains and snow(maybe dep on climate) should definetly have flushed it out... and brambles are great cover and defense!

:)

JM

I am thinking of trying my hand at some guerrilla Autos this year as well. Sounds like its time to start scouting out some spots. Spring time seems a good time to try. Everything around will be nice and green. May even get a spring shower or two to save on watering trips .

Back