pastured butter - 2 Tbsp, room temperature
grated orange rind - 1/2 Tbsp
boneless, skinless chicken breasts - 3
beets - 4 medium
beet greens - 1 bunch, roughly chopped
medium yellow onion - 1/2
sea salt - to taste
freshly ground black pepper - to taste
raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar - 2 tsp (I use Bragg.)
water - 1/3 cup

Preparation:

1.Preheat oven to 170 degrees F. Place dinner plates in the oven.
2.Combine orange peel and 1 1/2 Tbsp butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
3.Peel beets using a vegetable peeler, cut into quarters, then shred using a food processor attachment or hand shredder. Set aside.
4.Place chicken breasts on a firm work surface, such as a cutting board. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat tenderizer until they are about 1/4 to 1/3-inch thick.
5.Warm coconut oil in a large skillet. Saute chicken for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Work in batches, as necessary. Transfer one cooked chicken breast to the center of each plate.
6.Add onions and saute about 1 minute or until they begin to soften. Add beet greens to the onions. Toss gently and cook about 2 minutes or until beet greens are just wilted but still bright green. Add 1 tsp vinegar to the pan and toss to coat. Saute for about 30 seconds, then transfer alongside chicken on the warm plates.
7.Add grated beets and 1/3 cup water to the skillet. Cover and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and continue to saute until water is almost evaporated, about 1 minute. Add 1 tsp vinegar and stir for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to plates.
8.When ready to serve, use oven mitts to remove plates from oven, top chicken with orange butter, and garnish with additional orange rind, if desired.

Paleo Biscuit/shortcake recipe...

• 1 cup almond flour/meal
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 egg whites (save the egg yolks for later)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 2 tablespoons bacon fat, melted (or butter, ghee, lard, coconut oil, duck fat, etc.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda and powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Pour frothy egg whites into the almond flour mixture bowl and mix well. Then add the 2 whole eggs and bacon fat and whisk together. Place batter in fridge for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the some batter and pour onto the baking sheet. The batter will spread out just a little bit, but should still set up. Make 4 biscuits on the baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes. If you poke the biscuits, you’ll be able to tell that they are done. Let cool.

Reactions: Nan
Paleo Honey Mustard Dressing...

1/4 cup bacon fat melted
1/2 cup mustard
4 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of black pepper
Dash of fresh squeezed lemon

I mix and store all of this in small mason jars so all you have to do is reheat the dressing in the microwave the next time you need it.. If you don't have bacon fat just sub olive oil...

Reactions: Nan
Dub, AWESOME!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to do this, and same to you, Root!!
This takes a lot of the fear out of paleo, and for all you grillers, chillers and smokers out there, light the coals!:pighug:

Sweet Potato Pasta with hearty meat sauce

Servings: 2, with leftovers
Time in the Kitchen: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
Ingredients-9.jpg

• 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 or more bell peppers, finely chopped
  • 12 white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano (5 ml)
  • 1 pound ground beef (450 g)
  • 1 large or 2 smaller sweet potatoes, peeled
  • 24 to 28 ounces (680 g to 795 g) of your favorite pasta sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Fresh herbs for garnish, if desired
Instructions:
In a deep sauté pan or skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper and mushroom until soft, 5 minutes.
Step1-19.jpg
Add the ground beef, season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until browned.
Step2-19.jpg
Once the meat is browned, grab the vegetable peeler and peel thin strips of sweet potato into the skillet until you have about 2 large handfuls of strips. Add more sweet potato strips if you prefer.
SweetPotato.jpg
Pour in the tomato sauce. Mix well, turn the heat down slightly. cover and simmer for 15 minutes. If the sauce seems dry while simmering, add a little water.
Step3-10.jpg
Serve topped with fresh herbs.
SweetPotatoPastaSauce.jpg

Coffee Cake Banana Bread

You wont be able to stop eating it I promise you! :coffee2:

IMG_1126-620x300.jpg

Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

• 3 brown bananas, mashed
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • ½ cup almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
For the toppings

• 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) grass fed butter, at room temperature (or coconut oil)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
  • 2 tablespoons almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ cup pecans, crushed

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8.5×4.5 baking dish with oil then line the middle with parchment paper. It will make it easier to remove from the pan without it coming apart.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together bananas, maple syrup, vanilla extract, eggs, and almond butter.
  3. Then add coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix well.
  4. Pour batter into baking dish. Place on a baking sheet.
  5. In a small bowl, add butter, coconut sugar, almond flour, cinnamon, and pecans. Use your hands to mix the toppings together.
  6. Place chunks of the toppings all around the top of the banana bread mixture.
  7. Place in oven to bake for 50 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven, place on cooling rack and let rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.

I made this a couple nights ago...Yummmmy!
The gravy is good too!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy

tumblr_inline_n2snq11CLO1qdei8m.jpg

In the past, I’ve always had crappy results when I’ve tried to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker. The bird would always be overcooked, stringy, mushy, and dry. Super icky. Last night, I cooked a whole chicken in my slow cooker and it was AMAZING! I‘ll never prepare a whole chicken any other way again. Yes, that was a hyperbolic statement but I’m sticking with it.
The method I followed was a mash-up between Sarah Fragoso’s Spice Rub Crock Pot Chicken and the chicken in a pot recipe from Slow Cooker Revolution. I heart both, so how could I fail?
Ingredients:

• 4-5 pound organic kosher chicken (I prefer the taste of the salt-washed bird)
  • 2 tablespoons of ghee
  • 2 onions, chopped medium (or 2 cups of your favorite alliums)
  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 teaspoon tomato paste (you can use up to a tablespoon to add more umami)
  • ¼ cup chicken stock
  • ¼ cup white wine (replace with 1/4 cup extra chicken stock if on Whole30)
  • Sunny Paris seasoning (or your favorite seasoning)
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
Here’s what you do:
Gather and chop up your veggies…
tumblr_ljzfc5hlwF1qdei8m.jpg

…and melt the ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic (I threw in some scallions, too)…
tumblr_m2nr1tu8Fp1qdei8m.jpg

…and add the tomato paste.
tumblr_m2oovfbGNI1qdei8m.jpg

The aromatics should be softened and lightly browned after 8-10 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
tumblr_m2ooyirXFh1qdei8m.jpg

Then, deglaze the pan with the wine and/or chicken stock, and transfer everything to your slow cooker. Dry off the bird and season it well — inside and out — with salt, pepper, and your favorite poultry seasoning. (I like Sunny Paris seasoning from Penzeys Spices.)
tumblr_m2ope2dFz61qdei8m.jpg

Place the chicken breast side down in the slow cooker, put on the cover, and set it to cook on low for 4-6 hours.
tumblr_m2opnmylYL1qdei8m.jpg

This bird was close to 4 pounds, so I aimed for about 4.5 hours of simmering.
When the chicken’s finished cooking…
tumblr_lkux3vPh7O1qdei8m.jpg

…take it out of the slow cooker and let it rest for 20 minutes.
tumblr_m2opg294vZ1qdei8m.jpg

De-fat the braising sauce…
tumblr_m2oph2gys91qdei8m.jpg

…check for seasoning, and blend it with an immersion blender
tumblr_m2opi1prJK1qdei8m.jpg

… to make a delicious gravy.
tumblr_ljzg2gKGtn1qdei8m.jpg

This gravy is kickass!
Rip up the chicken up with your hands like a true cavegirl or caveguy…
tumblr_m2opjdWCZc1qdei8m.jpg

…and serve it with the gravy.
tumblr_m2opl0K3cv1qdei8m.jpg

My favorite thing about this recipe is the breast stays moist! Love it! Don’t ever cook chicken longer than 6 hours on low!
And DON’T FORGET TO SAVE THE GRAVY! It’s pretty much incredible on everything.

Boneless Pork Short Rib Breakfast Tacos

Ingredients
For the “tortillas”

• 3 eggs, whisked
  • ½ cup canned coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons coconut flour
  • pinch of salt
For the shredded pork

• 2 pounds boneless pork short ribs
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • salt, to taste
For the toppings

• 5-6 strips of bacon
  • 1 (6-8 ounce) can of green chiles
  • 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce (or your choice)
  • chopped green onions

Instructions

1. First, this recipe will start in the crockpot.
  2. Add short ribs to the crockpot. Pour maple syrup on top of them, along with garlic powder and salt. (I didn’t put any liquid in the crockpot because the fat will leak out and protect it from burning)
  3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  4. When you wake up the next day, remove the pork ribs from the crockpot, shred them and pour some of the excess liquid from the crockpot over the shredded pork for extra flavor.
  5. Now make the tortillas. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tortilla ingredients until smooth.
  6. Place a large non stick skillet over medium-high heat, pour ingredients into the pan to create a pancake size tortilla. I would pour on the liquid, pick up the skillet to roll it around and flatten out the tortilla even more. Cook on both sides for just about a minute per side.
  7. Once all your tortillas are done (this made about 8-10 tortillas for me), place bacon on the skillet or oven to cook on both sides, cool then roughly chop.
  8. Then mix together the green chiles and hot sauce in a bowl, place in microwave for 1:30-2:00 minutes or until hot. And then chop the green chiles.
  9. Now load up each tortilla. Shredded pork, green chiles, bacon, then green onions. Then eat it.
  10. Happy times.

IMG_0958.jpg

Bacon Lime Sweet Potato Salad

Yummy summer time treat!

Ingredients

½ pound bacon (225 grams)
3 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds/910 grams), cut into ½-inch (12-mm) cubes
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil
juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 green onions, chopped
handful of fresh dill, roughly chopped
dash of red pepper flakes
dash of ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay the bacon flat on the sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the bacon is slightly crispy. Let cool then roughly chop.
In a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss the sweet potatoes and garlic in coconut oil and roast for about 30 minutes or until slightly browned.
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Toss in green onions, dill, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and salt and pepper and mix well.
Once sweet potatoes are finished cooking, toss them together with the dressing and bacon.

Note: Cook time will vary depending on the size of the sweet potato cubes.

Back