Indoor R Wayne's Can't Stop Wont Stop Grow

@Dankerson how often do you water seedlings in these rain science bags? They seem so much different then what I'm used to. I feel completely out of my element and all my seedlings seem to be growing slow.
Hey man! Yeah no worries I had the same issues with my seedlings early on as well. The initial pre-soak usually will keep the pot wet for about a week or more but the issue is the top dries out.

So what I've started to do is get about a half a pint or less and every day or two I moisten the top layer. You can use a small watering can but if you have a sprayer that would probably work. I would guess your soil is getting too dry up top which is causing your issues with seedlings falling over and dampening off. Once they get those roots deep they're good but in the early stages they are fragile and you can't let them dry out.

So I'll do initial soak with recharge, let it sit a day or two before transplanting the plant in. Then as soon as I see dry soil up top I will start my light watering to keep the top soil moist. Usually by the time it needs it's second or third watering you're good to stop with worrying about the light waterings. Alternatively you could possibly look into using something to help you retain more moisture on the top soil. Some people do it but I do not.

Hope that helps! I'm still learning with this stuff myself so my methods are constantly evolving.

Hey man! Yeah no worries I had the same issues with my seedlings early on as well. The initial pre-soak usually will keep the pot wet for about a week or more but the issue is the top dries out.

So what I've started to do is get about a half a pint or less and every day or two I moisten the top layer. You can use a small watering can but if you have a sprayer that would probably work. I would guess your soil is getting too dry up top which is causing your issues with seedlings falling over and dampening off. Once they get those roots deep they're good but in the early stages they are fragile and you can't let them dry out.

So I'll do initial soak with recharge, let it sit a day or two before transplanting the plant in. Then as soon as I see dry soil up top I will start my light watering to keep the top soil moist. Usually by the time it needs it's second or third watering you're good to stop with worrying about the light waterings. Alternatively you could possibly look into using something to help you retain more moisture on the top soil. Some people do it but I do not.

Hope that helps! I'm still learning with this stuff myself so my methods are constantly evolving.
Thanks for the info Dank! I will be referring back to it Im sure. I think I was overly sad from losing my first casualty, and overreacted: "Oh no, ALL my seedlings are doomed now!!!"
All the other plants seem happy, are praying to the lights and I just need to be patient. Trying a new method makes me feel like a new grower.

I also have quite a bad/good seed addiction, depending on how you look at it. So I have plenty of other options. Might throw a Frosted Cherry-Os in next if this blackberry seed fails. Or Jean-Os Root Beer Float :smoking:

Sorry Im rambling now, anyways I really appreciate the info my friend :thanks:

Thanks for the info Dank! I will be referring back to it Im sure. I think I was overly sad from losing my first casualty, and overreacted: "Oh no, ALL my seedlings are doomed now!!!"
All the other plants seem happy, are praying to the lights and I just need to be patient. Trying a new method makes me feel like a new grower.

I also have quite a bad/good seed addiction, depending on how you look at it. So I have plenty of other options. Might throw a Frosted Cherry-Os in next if this blackberry seed fails. Or Jean-Os Root Beer Float :smoking:

Sorry Im rambling now, anyways I really appreciate the info my friend :thanks:
Of course anytime! It's easy to hyperanalyze when things go wrong, I do it all the time haha. Things are looking good though! Just small adjustments like with anything. And unfortunately everyone has a seed go bad for one reason or another from time to time.

At least that part helps out with the seed addiction, I can relate to that definitely. I have more seeds than I could need lol. Wish I had enough room to drop some frosted Cherry'Os and mutant Genetics Sapphyre that I just got off my recent order as a freebie. It's nice to have options :jointman:

Last edited:
Weekly update, Day 11. Day 1 for the new blackberry, its popped outta the jiffy pellet and I will transplant it to the pot tonight or tomorrow. So these are the oddest bunch of seedlings Ive seen so far. But they are all starting to grow above ground now. They all seem a little slow to me, but Im still learning with the rain science bags. Probably not watering enough is what my instincts tell me. But they are growing and Ill see if I can improve the watering with the new blackberry sprout (super excited for this one after seeing @Dankerson s blackberry).

I have been spraying the top soil with a little bit of water with a spray bottle still. Will do a deeper watering soon. I started to add silica to the waterings and will continue that through most of flower. Still feel like Im doing something wrong in this grow, but Ill keep chugging along and take it day to day. My outdoor plants are in living soil and are rocking right now, which helps keep me from freaking out about this batch in the tent.

The CBD 1:1 (fast buds) has some funny looking leaves. Ill let yall check em out and let me know what you think? Ive seen some odd leaves in the past but nothing like this. I thought maybe cause of the CBD, but has anyone else seen this weird mutation?

Lets look at the small plants:

IMG_20221020_120946_733.jpg

Black Strap (Gnome)
IMG_20221020_120954_825.jpg

ZaMango (Night Owl)
IMG_20221020_121004_101.jpg

CBD 1:1 (Fast Buds)
IMG_20221020_121013_390.jpg

New Blackberry (fast buds)
IMG_20221020_121026_439.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!!!
:bighug:

Weekly update, Day 11. Day 1 for the new blackberry, its popped outta the jiffy pellet and I will transplant it to the pot tonight or tomorrow. So these are the oddest bunch of seedlings Ive seen so far. But they are all starting to grow above ground now. They all seem a little slow to me, but Im still learning with the rain science bags. Probably not watering enough is what my instincts tell me. But they are growing and Ill see if I can improve the watering with the new blackberry sprout (super excited for this one after seeing @Dankerson s blackberry).

I have been spraying the top soil with a little bit of water with a spray bottle still. Will do a deeper watering soon. I started to add silica to the waterings and will continue that through most of flower. Still feel like Im doing something wrong in this grow, but Ill keep chugging along and take it day to day. My outdoor plants are in living soil and are rocking right now, which helps keep me from freaking out about this batch in the tent.

The CBD 1:1 (fast buds) has some funny looking leaves. Ill let yall check em out and let me know what you think? Ive seen some odd leaves in the past but nothing like this. I thought maybe cause of the CBD, but has anyone else seen this weird mutation?

Lets look at the small plants:

View attachment 1529430

Black Strap (Gnome)
View attachment 1529431

ZaMango (Night Owl)
View attachment 1529432

CBD 1:1 (Fast Buds)
View attachment 1529433

New Blackberry (fast buds)
View attachment 1529434

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!!!
They're looking good man! If the watering isn't done right early on it can really slow them a bit but nothing to worry about, they will rebound relatively quickly. I'd say yours look good for day 10! I wouldn't be worried at all. :d5: :jointman:

They're looking good man! If the watering isn't done right early on it can really slow them a bit but nothing to worry about, they will rebound relatively quickly. I'd say yours look good for day 10! I wouldn't be worried at all. :d5: :jointman:
So easy for me to beat myself up when things aren't going perfect. The standard I hold myself to is kind of unattainable and ridiculous.
So thank you for the feedback, it really helps :cheers:
Also, I hope I got a similar pheno of your blackberry. That plant of yours is looking real nice :smoking:

So easy for me to beat myself up when things aren't going perfect. The standard I hold myself to is kind of unattainable and ridiculous.
So thank you for the feedback, it really helps :cheers:
Also, I hope I got a similar pheno of your blackberry. That plant of yours is looking real nice :smoking:
Yeah I completely get it man I'm the same way. Sometimes it's best just to take a step back as hard as it is lol. Always happy to help reassure :d5:
That plant is almost unreal looking, from what I've seen they all should look like that so the chances are very good :thumbsup: I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Weekly Update: Day 17 for the 3 oldest and day 5 for the new Blackberry. So a lot has happened since my last weekly update. My father in law's ALS is progressing really fast, so my garden time has been really spotty. The plants were looking really sad and growth felt weird and exponentially slow. I dont have much stash left from my last grow, so getting some healthy decent plants are priority number 1. So I decided to put them girls outside in the hoop house with the other outdoor plants. So they have become part of that grow.

Reasons: The color is off, dark inside and light on the edges, the tips have been curling down since the first week and dont seem to be getting better. My gut tells me its Nitrogen toxicity, from either the grow dots not working well with the Pro Mix or my underwatering at the beginning, not knowing how to use rain science bags. Then re-watering the dry medium released extra N. Im not sure exactly what is happening with them, but I decided to move them outside and start over indoors. They are all praying to the sun and I will grow them out to see what happens. I have the space right now so I figured why not.

New grow:
I decided to replace my 2x2 and set up my 3x3 tent that I won in a @Marshydro contest a while back (Thank you again Mars Hydro). It feels sooooo much bigger even though its only 12 inches wider on each side. I love it already but will need to break it down to move it when we move from the living room to the bedroom that is slowly being emptied (long story).
I ordered an Earth Box and used a 7 gal Grassroots Living Soil pot as well. I had BuildaSoil Light and will be using recharge and quillaja as a wetting agent. I filled both with soil and used quillaja and Recharge in my water to help moisten and give the soil a boost.
I decided to run 3 plants, 2 in the earth box and one in the grassroots pot. We need an Indica and Sativa always so Ill be running a new Night Owl - ZaMango and a Mephisto - Strawba the Hutt (Strawberry Nuggets/Skywalker) and I took the 5 day blackberry and transplanted it into the 7 gal. We will see how it does after being transplanted...twice!
I direct sowed the seeds in the EB, literally following BAS method. Nice and simple, my favorite. I have the Mars Hydro FC-e 3000 set at about 25" and on about 55%. They recommend 12" @ 25% but I need the tent to stay warmer. Average temps have been in the low 70s, I like it closer to 80, especially early on. I also lost the connecters for my driver, so I have no way to connect it to the light. When I get a chance I think I might use some ratchet pulleys and put it in the tent, it would definitely help with the temps.

Side note, I had 2 bags of BuildaSoil Light Soil mix that I ordered at the beginning of September. When I opened them to fill the Earth Box and Grassroots pot, the soil was dry as a bone. I figured the quillaja I added would help rewet the soil, so I compressed the two wicking corners of the Earth box sprayed it will some water and it sat their like soup. Then I poured the rest of the bag into the EB and tried to wet it, I know Im lazy. Again it sat on the top like soup. So I after the failed attempt to rewet the soil in the EB, I had to dump it all out into a large tub, then mix the water in to get that nice spongy, barely sticks together when you squeeze it, feel. I also had to rinse the EB after all the dust collected at the bottom. Future note, if the soil is bone dry, wet it first before putting it in any container.

Lets check out the Grow Dots Girls:
IMG_20221026_132735_831.jpg

ZaMango
IMG_20221026_132801_177.jpg

CBD 1:1
IMG_20221026_132812_193.jpg

Black Strap
IMG_20221026_132816_708.jpg

Now for the new grow setup:
IMG_20221026_095949_455.jpg
IMG_20221026_101315_938.jpg

IMG_20221026_133922_518.jpg
IMG_20221026_133938_409.jpg
IMG_20221026_133945_461.jpg
IMG_20221026_134018_575.jpg
IMG_20221026_134144_181.jpg
IMG_20221026_134148_937.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and have a GREAT day ANFers!!!

Weekly Update: Day 17 for the 3 oldest and day 5 for the new Blackberry. So a lot has happened since my last weekly update. My father in law's ALS is progressing really fast, so my garden time has been really spotty. The plants were looking really sad and growth felt weird and exponentially slow. I dont have much stash left from my last grow, so getting some healthy decent plants are priority number 1. So I decided to put them girls outside in the hoop house with the other outdoor plants. So they have become part of that grow.

Reasons: The color is off, dark inside and light on the edges, the tips have been curling down since the first week and dont seem to be getting better. My gut tells me its Nitrogen toxicity, from either the grow dots not working well with the Pro Mix or my underwatering at the beginning, not knowing how to use rain science bags. Then re-watering the dry medium released extra N. Im not sure exactly what is happening with them, but I decided to move them outside and start over indoors. They are all praying to the sun and I will grow them out to see what happens. I have the space right now so I figured why not.

New grow:
I decided to replace my 2x2 and set up my 3x3 tent that I won in a @Marshydro contest a while back (Thank you again Mars Hydro). It feels sooooo much bigger even though its only 12 inches wider on each side. I love it already but will need to break it down to move it when we move from the living room to the bedroom that is slowly being emptied (long story).
I ordered an Earth Box and used a 7 gal Grassroots Living Soil pot as well. I had BuildaSoil Light and will be using recharge and quillaja as a wetting agent. I filled both with soil and used quillaja and Recharge in my water to help moisten and give the soil a boost.
I decided to run 3 plants, 2 in the earth box and one in the grassroots pot. We need an Indica and Sativa always so Ill be running a new Night Owl - ZaMango and a Mephisto - Strawba the Hutt (Strawberry Nuggets/Skywalker) and I took the 5 day blackberry and transplanted it into the 7 gal. We will see how it does after being transplanted...twice!
I direct sowed the seeds in the EB, literally following BAS method. Nice and simple, my favorite. I have the Mars Hydro FC-e 3000 set at about 25" and on about 55%. They recommend 12" @ 25% but I need the tent to stay warmer. Average temps have been in the low 70s, I like it closer to 80, especially early on. I also lost the connecters for my driver, so I have no way to connect it to the light. When I get a chance I think I might use some ratchet pulleys and put it in the tent, it would definitely help with the temps.

Side note, I had 2 bags of BuildaSoil Light Soil mix that I ordered at the beginning of September. When I opened them to fill the Earth Box and Grassroots pot, the soil was dry as a bone. I figured the quillaja I added would help rewet the soil, so I compressed the two wicking corners of the Earth box sprayed it will some water and it sat their like soup. Then I poured the rest of the bag into the EB and tried to wet it, I know Im lazy. Again it sat on the top like soup. So I after the failed attempt to rewet the soil in the EB, I had to dump it all out into a large tub, then mix the water in to get that nice spongy, barely sticks together when you squeeze it, feel. I also had to rinse the EB after all the dust collected at the bottom. Future note, if the soil is bone dry, wet it first before putting it in any container.

Lets check out the Grow Dots Girls:
View attachment 1531749
ZaMango
View attachment 1531746
CBD 1:1
View attachment 1531747
Black Strap
View attachment 1531748

Now for the new grow setup:
View attachment 1531750View attachment 1531751
View attachment 1531752View attachment 1531753View attachment 1531754View attachment 1531755View attachment 1531756View attachment 1531757

Thanks for stopping by and have a GREAT day ANFers!!!
Great start. Can't wait to see how much you can harvest! :headbang:

Back