Running autos 24/7 does not reduce potency, its a MYTH

I prefer to run 24/0 at 50 dli. I don’t have any problem with potency. Lights off time do have its benefits, but it’s nothing to do with potency. When it comes to potency, either you got it , or you don’t.

Sounds like, in my uneducated opinion, that it possibly diminishes the effects of the Calvin cycle at the least. I saw a grow guide by Mephisto I believe saying how they ran everything 24/0. I wonder how that affects breeding.

Don't you use FR initiation with your autos? Do you see any decreases in time to harvest?

View attachment 1295285
Once you're knee deep into the gardening thing, you'll discover that almost everything matters.. Seeds from plants grown in hydro, using bottled nutes and under 24/7 light, will respond and grow differently if you bought them and grew them in organic soil under 18/6.. A mom plant is very similar to a human mom. Drs tell humans mom's all the time to relax, tale it easy, don't stress etc.. Because it all effects the child she's carrying. If mom is stressed, working hard 24/7, the child will be effected by that. Same thing with plants and seeds. I've never seen Mephisto post test results from any strain that they grew on their site. It makes total sense to do it to help control climate/environment.. But even then, I'd rather fix my environment issues than push my plants 24 hrs a day.. Hell, I HATE working 8 hrs a day.. Image 24/7.. Lol.

I prefer to run 24/0 at 50 dli. I don’t have any problem with potency. Lights off time do have its benefits, but it’s nothing to do with potency. When it comes to potency, either you got it , or you don’t.
I do not know how the term potency got supplemented instead of quality. Quality encompasses much more than the THC level and is the term I used when making the original statement. Granted - quality is a judgement call but when several testers agreed in a blind test ( I did two) that the quality was noticeably superior in the 18/6 bud over the 24/0 I was convinced.

I am a much better grower now with better lights and perhaps that would change things? I am just not willing to do the testing again because my 18/6 weed is very good.

Once you're knee deep into the gardening thing, you'll discover that almost everything matters.. Seeds from plants grown in hydro, using bottled nutes and under 24/7 light, will respond and grow differently if you bought them and grew them in organic soil under 18/6.. A mom plant is very similar to a human mom. Drs tell humans mom's all the time to relax, tale it easy, don't stress etc.. Because it all effects the child she's carrying. If mom is stressed, working hard 24/7, the child will be effected by that. Same thing with plants and seeds. I've never seen Mephisto post test results from any strain that they grew on their site. It makes total sense to do it to help control climate/environment.. But even then, I'd rather fix my environment issues than push my plants 24 hrs a day.. Hell, I HATE working 8 hrs a day.. Image 24/7.. Lol.

That was my thinking with everything I've read about genetic swamping. Even with my last few runs of very sick mothers I saw the effect it had on my quality at harvest and my attempts to clone. Growing the same cuts over and over I've really been exposed to the importance of a strong start from the beginning the end.

Growing is expensive. I get that not everyone can fully controlling their climate or the amenities that a higher budget can bring to the environment overall. I don't want a breeder that is running 24/0 when they could have saved energy and water. It's a lot like reptile vivariums, the environment should be on point, if 24/0 isn't necessary why run it?

I do not know how the term potency got supplemented instead of quality. Quality encompasses much more than the THC level and is the term I used when making the original statement. Granted - quality is a judgement call but when several testers agreed in a blind test ( I did two) that the quality was noticeably superior in the 18/6 bud over the 24/0 I was convinced.

I am a much better grower now with better lights and perhaps that would change things? I am just not willing to do the testing again because my 18/6 weed is very good.
Brother You took a post about potency and turned it into a debate about bud quality.
Bud quality is dictated by the growers skill level.
No I don’t run 24/0 for gains in yields.
I do it because I do not need the benefits of the lights off time.
In theory the longer the amount of time a plant spends being bombarded by uv rays, the more thc It should produce. I base this on the hypothesis that Uv is truly the definitive factor of thc production.
Of course I have no scientific evidence to that fact.
My comment were directed at the post and not to you.

Brother You took a post about potency and turned it into a debate about bud quality.
Bud quality is dictated by the growers skill level.
In theory the longer the amount of time a plant spends being bombarded by uv rays, the more thc It should produce. I base this on the hypothesis that Uv is truly the definitive factor of thc production.
Of course I have no scientific evidence to that fact.
My comment were directed at the post and not to you.

Is there no benefit to saving water and energy in your opinion? Are you on well/solar?

Is there no benefit to saving water and energy in your opinion? Are you on well/solar?
I do see a benefit when it comes to saving any resource. When I committed to growing cannabis, I also commit to acceptable losses.
I understand when someone wants to save the universe. In some way, I'm sure the exhaling weed smoke also contribute to the universe’s demise. Carry on brothers. I’m out

I do see a benefit when it comes to saving any resource. When I committed to growing cannabis, I also commit to acceptable losses.
I understand when someone wants to save the universe. In some way, I'm sure the exhaling weed smoke also contribute to the universe’s demise. Carry on brothers. I’m out

I'm just saying if you've got to pay for it why waste the extra.

You said

So there are benefits in your opinion. I saw your theory but have you had your smoke lab tested?

I'm just trying to understand your logic bro

I'm just saying if you've got to pay for it why waste the extra.

You said

So there are benefits in your opinion. I saw your theory but have you had your smoke lab tested?

I'm just trying to understand your logic bro
The lights that you are using is at best is running at 50% efficiency. But you accept that unseen loss.
The same when you burn the fuel in your car, it’s inefficiency is accepted.
Brother when you heat your home. Those losses are accepted.
You even accept the nutrients requirement to run your human body, which is highly inefficient process. But you still accept the loss.
As you put it, I don’t understand the logic behind accepting some losses while ignoring others. To each his/ her own.
If a man has a successful grow running 24/0, I don’t understand why someone would suggest that he is doing wrong... when his plant produces bud, it clearly shows that he is doing something right.

This is the backbone of growing organically. You probably know more than anyone else how much I try to explain the importance of the rhizosphere and thus dark times, lol. I tell people all the time.. Every living thing benefits from sleep or a dark period.. That's scientific fact. And personally, I could never be convinced that unnatural is somehow better than natural. Can 24hr light work? Of course! Is 24/0 bud better than 18/6 bud? That's subjective, but I personally doubt it. If people actually cared about the plants well being, they wouldn't do it. But most people treat their plants like crap and only care about bud size or end weight.
Totally agree! Just because it can doesn't mean it's best.

Back