Subcool Supersoil UK version a few questions.

Dazed

Confucius
Reaction score
So I'm about to mix up my first batch of Subcools supersoil recipe. In one of his youtube videos he says that he and others he has worked with have used Biobizz Allmix in place of Roots Organics, but with amendments of coco coir, oyster shells and kelp meal. Being in the UK - our available organic products are different to the US so I have tried to switch out things as best I can and was wanting some opinions on the recipe I now have.

This is the Subcool recipe I got online:

1 large bags of a high-quality organic potting soil with coco fiber and mycorrhizae (i.e., your base soil)
3.125 to 6.25 lbs of organic worm castings
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces Fish Bone Meal 3-16-0
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces Bat guano 0-5-0
.625 lbs or 5/8 lbs or 10 ounces Blood meal 12-0-0
3/32 cup or 1.5 tablespoons Epsom Salts
1/16 cup or 1 tablespoon sweet lime (dolomite)
1/16 cup or 1 tablespoon azomite (trace elements)
3/4 teaspoon powdered humid acid

With added coco coir, oystershells and kelp meal if using Biobizz Allmix.

Now this is my recipe:

1 Large bag of Biobizz Allmix
4lbs worm castings
10oz Bone Meal 3.5-17-0
10oz Bat Guano 1-10-1
10oz Hoof and Horn 13-0-0
1.5 tbs e.salts
1.5 tbs lime
1 tablespoon Volcanic Rock Dust

Coco coir
Seaweed Meal
Eggshells

I was wondering if the things I've swapped out will be good? How much cococoir do I add to the mix? I have extra perlite. I don't have Fish Bone Meal, just bone meal (same NPK). I swapped out Blood Meal for Hoof and Horn. No Azomite so I've got Volcanic Rock Dust (is this the same thing?) I can't find Oyster shells but have plenty of home made ground eggshells I use for my worm farm are they the same thing (slow release calcium)? How much would I need?
And Kelp meal, I can buy that but I already have Seaweed Meal are these the same things?
I also have Mycorrhizae to add in too. I don't have humic acid but he says it doesn't really need it.

I'm probably overthinking it but just wanted some advice and didn't really know where to post the questions so made my own thread.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I'm currently using Allmix which I threw in a bunch of amendments but it's not been easy to work with, I'm trying to simplify things.

Cheers,

D.

:cool:

Probably want to add 10% coco Dazed....good luck .. :Sharing One:

Nice one thanks Duggy :Sharing One:

dude you can dance all over them recipes man.any decent organic soil as long as its not all jacked up like FF and the roots ive heard about n a few others kinda weird PH cycle trip ,they will work or even home made stuffs as long as its blended decently. but imo man you should increase the amounts of the base soil and rework the numbers to match you increase in thinning agent.only reason is smaller batches have to be blended(cooked longer) for several weeks longer for proper availabilities to your soil.for small batches that is anyway,but thats why i say if you got a lil room in a tote er something,that'll do ya a lil better imo.

if you do that add a cup n a half or two to that mix with some crabshell.forget if ya got any lol if you do put 2/3 cup crabshell and the remaining(uopto two cups)eggshell in.

as is imo youll wanna stick around(assuming its a 1.5CF bag(10 gallons roughly) a cup(or half egg and half crab,or similar,more egg than crab)

how much is 10oz of hoof meal n things?lol something like 1/2 cup or so? sound ok just add lime man.

Id back off on the guano too if it is indeed around 1/2 cup man.

and two more TBspoons of dusts man imo.

and the E salt (dont forget lime lol) you can add a bit more of too.something like two more of so.this is a ll as is btw. lol.

and seaweed is essentailly the same thing and Id add about 1/2 cup heaping

azomite is better because it has a more rounded selection of traces and refined silts n things. but thats why many say to if you can get dual rock dusts similarly add the same amount of the dual dusts.or a single one is fine as well if its all ya got.some is better than none right?lol

and if you can get it,get some cow and/or mushroom compost.it'll also help to inoculate it some too.mushroom is better.steer is great also of similar pre composted materials n the like.castings are great but they generally lack hard inoculation power unless they be fresh mang,even then a dual blend is always a popular thing man.variety.:Sharing One:

dude you can dance all over them recipes man.any decent organic soil as long as its not all jacked up like FF and the roots ive heard about n a few others kinda weird PH cycle trip ,they will work or even home made stuffs as long as its blended decently. but imo man you should increase the amounts of the base soil and rework the numbers to match you increase in thinning agent.only reason is smaller batches have to be blended(cooked longer) for several weeks longer for proper availabilities to your soil.for small batches that is anyway,but thats why i say if you got a lil room in a tote er something,that'll do ya a lil better imo.

if you do that add a cup n a half or two to that mix with some crabshell.forget if ya got any lol if you do put 2/3 cup crabshell and the remaining(uopto two cups)eggshell in.

as is imo youll wanna stick around(assuming its a 1.5CF bag(10 gallons roughly) a cup(or half egg and half crab,or similar,more egg than crab)

how much is 10oz of hoof meal n things?lol something like 1/2 cup or so? sound ok just add lime man.

Id back off on the guano too if it is indeed around 1/2 cup man.

and two more TBspoons of dusts man imo.

and the E salt (dont forget lime lol) you can add a bit more of too.something like two more of so.this is a ll as is btw. lol.

and seaweed is essentailly the same thing and Id add about 1/2 cup heaping

azomite is better because it has a more rounded selection of traces and refined silts n things. but thats why many say to if you can get dual rock dusts similarly add the same amount of the dual dusts.or a single one is fine as well if its all ya got.some is better than none right?lol

and if you can get it,get some cow and/or mushroom compost.it'll also help to inoculate it some too.mushroom is better.steer is great also of similar pre composted materials n the like.castings are great but they generally lack hard inoculation power unless they be fresh mang,even then a dual blend is always a popular thing man.variety.:Sharing One:

Cheers brother, but that's the problem I'm having. I can't find crabshell, or Azomite, I can get them shipped from the US but then it's costing stupid money for the shipping and I don't know if I'll be getting import charges on top of that too. That's kind of why I wanted to use Sub's recipe because I almost have all the ingredients or similar.
I'm kind of limited too because I don't have the space or privacy to mix a big batch of multiple bags. For this reason I was considering ditching organics and going chem's because I'm really at my limit with being able to do all the mixing/storing/cooking etc of soil mixes. It's cold here most of the time so difficult to brew up teas and cook soil in optimal conditions plus I get super paranoid when I'm in and out of the house all day with bags of soil, bottles of rainwater etc lol (I live in a built up area with not a lot of privacy). I'd love to have my own space where I can really get down deep into this but right now I just can't do it but being organic is important to me (not only for the flavour/standard of plants but because I care about the planet lol). It's also starting to get expensive and I can't keep buying more things, when I look at what I do have, I must try to use it to the best I can and honestly just can't afford to ship things from the US. I went to a few local garden centres today and some hydro stores and they literally stock nothing organic and look at me like I'm crazy when I ask for Rock Dust and oyster shells etc lol, unfortunately there just isn't the big organic market here like the US, sucks but that's the way it is. I can get mushroom compost but again, it's so damn expensive here.
Thanks for the tips on the seaweed meal and e.salt. Yeah the Hoof and Horn is basically a high N thing, I think 10oz is about 300 grams - prob half a cup or little less at a guess.

I know it's really hard to advise when products are so different on each side of the pond lol, I do appreciate the help as always though brother.

Funny thing is I have a friend here who grows MONSTERS in coco using clones/chems and he thinks I'm mad struggling along with organics, maybe I am :bone:

Forgot to add bro, I do have fresh castings from my worm farm which are mixed in with leaf mould.

lmao!nah man,i think you misunderstood man.I was saying your mix is fine man. short of the small refinements of the stuff you already have man.and i was simply saying the mix if its smaller has to blend a cpl weeks long,thats all .lol i just took it around the block a cpl times lol..sorry. but if you think chems are an easier approach for you go for it man. but thats all i was trying to say. other than a lil lime..ya got lime? anmd back off the guano some and it looks fine man.dont sweat it.no cow or mushroom compost?only a half gallon of each(more if you got the room for a gallon or a gallon and a half of each but your fine man)

but again brother castings are fiiine they just lack in the heavier inoculating power is all so you have to boost it with the teas,or soup feeds.whichever you choose.if you dont have crab thats fine. frass is good or insect stuff if ya got it but eggshells at a cup or cup n a half.thats all man.:Sharing One:

leaf molds comfrey all kinds of things man,bokashi(make your own from good meals n things..wormy dudes again your fiiince brother.just those composts help is all but are not 100% necessary man.thats all you have to understand bro :Sharing One:

:hug::Sharing One:

Sorry bro if I came across wrong, I totally get it, diversity is key, I'm just limited in some ways and it does, in a way, bug me we can't get access to all the stuff you guys do. I'll def add some castings and I have a big box of Dlime which I know when adding all the hoof and guano is needed. I just wasn't sure about the seaweed and eggshells which you totally cleared up for me buddy. Once I have a bit more cash I'm investing in a better pump for the brews as this shitty little aquatic airstone I have isn't powerful enough to get the teas active like they should be which I know will take the mix to another level. I def don't want to go chems even though sometimes it seems like the easier route for me, but who wants things easy eh lmao. Honestly eyes bro, total respect for your knowledge and I wouldn't know half of what I do if it wasn't for you and the other guys around here. I'm sure I'll get there in the end, I'm always improving and wanting to learn bro :Hookah: that's why I reached out on this thread. Once I nail this I'm sure it will be a breeze. Giving you a virtual :slap: because I need to spread some love first lol!

leaf molds comfrey all kinds of things man,bokashi(make your own from good meals n things..wormy dudes again your fiiince brother.just those composts help is all but are not 100% necessary man.thats all you have to understand bro :Sharing One:

Yo eyez, where do you get your bokashi

Dazed, don't forget the piss lol I joke, much love brotha, that soil mix sounds dope

Back