AFN Myth Busters 2017

As soon as the cotyledons are green, photosynthesis begins. It doesn't work with nothing..... but for a few days, its requirement are negligible, there's probably enough nutrients in water ( if its not RO or distilled ) to feed for the first 3-5 days. Myself, I believe in using a very mild solution for the first ten days then go up from there. With my current coco grow, I feed them once with a 250 ppm solution that included 40 ppms of cal/mag. At ten days I went to full strength with no problems. IMO, NEVER starve a plant! I wonder if organic seedling grow faster the first 10 days? Hmmm......

What about the seemingly common practice/belief that young plants, even when grown soilless or hydroponically, simply should not be fed a basic/minimal balanced mix of nutrients, including not getting base nutrients, for the first 2, 3 even 4 weeks (vs. giving just water or maybe adding root stimulants and additives)? Has this carried over from traditional planting in soil and outdoors growing where the soil can usually provide enough early nutrients?

In my mythical view and in practice, seeds come into the world in a moderately nutrient-rich environment. I presume in nature that seeds have no problem adopting to basic good nutrition, no problem growing in what their parents just grew in, that seeds don't have problems when they happen to sprout in nutrient-rich/fertile media. My seeds sprout into their final pots in coco charged at 1/2 full dose (what they get in late veg growth). Sometimes with this method (and as with any sprouting and early growth), there are seeds that don't adapt well and quickly enough; and they get culled.

Obviously, our plants will generally grow well for the first few weeks whether you feed them or not. But what is really best? Any comparative studies out there concerning optimal initial and early nutrient levels?

As soon as the cotyledons are green, photosynthesis begins. It doesn't work with nothing..... but for a few days, its requirement are negligible, there's probably enough nutrients in water ( if its not RO or distilled ) to feed for the first 3-5 days. Myself, I believe in using a very mild solution for the first ten days then go up from there. With my current coco grow, I feed them once with a 250 ppm solution that included 40 ppms of cal/mag. At ten days I went to full strength with no problems. IMO, NEVER starve a plant! I wonder if organic seedling grow faster the first 10 days? Hmmm......
OK, you generally agree with me (we hold to a common myth) and feed starting within days of sprouting. But are there any studies or even just grow reports where different options were compared in parallel?

Not one I've put effort into honestly. Poke around if you have time, I'd like to know also. However, our theory stems from at least as modicum of science so...

OK, you generally agree with me (we hold to a common myth) and feed starting within days of sprouting. But are there any studies or even just grow reports where different options were compared in parallel?

Have you guys ever heard holding the smoke gets you higher ? Is there any truth behind this or is it just a myth lol :pass::smokeout: we need to do a study for the sake of science

Have you guys ever heard holding the smoke gets you higher ? Is there any truth behind this or is it just a myth lol :pass::smokeout: we need to do a study for the sake of science

Yes, "holding the smoke gets you higher," if only from added oxygen deprivation (and the instant stress of exposure to many toxins, if you've still smoking and not vaporizing). And to a limited extent, holding your breath longer will result in more absorption vs. holding it just a short time. But rather than holding one's breath, doing some minimal (re)breathing, moving the smoke/vapor in and out of the lungs a little, will result in even more absorption than stagnant held-in air.

Holding your breath is not worth it. Vapor is absorbed quickly, so your really only holding in the stuff you don't need. With a vaporizer, your getting three times as much cannabinoids as from smoking, so its worth holding a couple seconds.

Holding your breath is not worth it. Vapor is absorbed quickly, so your really only holding in the stuff you don't need. With a vaporizer, your getting three times as much cannabinoids as from smoking, so its worth holding a couple seconds.
What type of vaporizer would be good for this? like hot air or what ?

Yep, putting them in the dark is a total waste of time, ranks right up there with flushing......... not once have I seen anyone prove it to do anything by comparing it to a clone that didn't get the dark period, then having the buds tested. ( which is why no one will prove it, who's going to spent that kind of money on a losing bet.. ) You can't compare 2 different plants..... the results are meaningless.
Exactly !

Back