AFN Myth Busters 2017

Wet trim vs. dry trim!!

After growing crops with the intent to maximize the genetic expression of trichomes and resin production, we must continue to care for the crop’s most precious and delicate floral components during harvesting. The only way to minimize damage to a mature crop of trichomes is, to allow them to dessicate fully before any trimming or manicuring is done. Fresh trichomes are just too soft and like water-balloons they will rupture if knocked or sheared off the plant.
Furthermore when cannabis crops are manicured fresh or machine trimmed while still “green”, the watery, green cytoplasm of cut leaf cells and floral parts will exude and mix with resins and oils derived from broken trichomes. This leads to the oxidation and degradation of the mixed cytoplasm fluids and trichome resins.
Manicuring fresh buds is therefore never a best practice, as it will immediately degrade the trichome content and make the crop more vulnerable to continuous oxidative damage as the buds dry. Although the damage from trimming freshly cut buds may seem tolerable, it will yield a final product that is slightly degraded, both in terms of potency and shelf-life. Buds that are trimmed fresh become brown coloured when dry, and the aroma or “nose” of the product will be noticeably different. This is like pre-maturely aging the buds; it isn’t a good starting point.
The only way to avoid and minimize damaging trichomes on mature cannabis plants is to dry whole plants to 20-25% of fresh weight before any machine-leaf-trimming or manicuring occurs. This level of dryness is when trichomes start to fall off intact; the round “head” of the trichomes break off the “stalk” cells. At 20-25% moisture content the plant’s green cells have desiccated to the point where, no chlorophyll laden cytoplasm will leak out of leaf cells when trimmed. The trimmings are also covered in trichomes, so even this fraction of the crop requires delicate handling.

I haven't scientific paper but I can confirm that after 35 days there is no difference in growth between daily watering (less water split through days) or watering every 4-5 days (more water at once). All other conditions were the same, only watering schedule was different.

I haven't scientific paper but I can confirm that after 35 days there is no difference in growth between daily watering (less water split through days) or watering every 4-5 days (more water at once). All other conditions were the same, only watering schedule was different.

Thank you for testing KonopCh! I`d love to see the root development of a full cycle following this different water schedules with pictures!
From my own experience, it just seems easier to control the amount of water the plant is receiving when letting the plant dry out a little between every feeding. When feeding a little every day, it will either increase the chances of over watering and the water/nutes that is being fed to the plant has an easier exit point, due to the low water uptake in the already wet soil. How was the runoff ppm on the two plants?

Interesting testing! Keep us posted!

Thank you for testing KonopCh! I`d love to see the root development of a full cycle following this different water schedules with pictures!
From my own experience, it just seems easier to control the amount of water the plant is receiving when letting the plant dry out a little between every feeding. When feeding a little every day, it will either increase the chances of over watering and the water/nutes that is being fed to the plant has an easier exit point, due to the low water uptake in the already wet soil. How was the runoff ppm on the two plants?

Interesting testing! Keep us posted!

I never water to runoff. Maybe only few drops in the bottom on saucer.
I also never checked PPM in runoff.

You can see my tests in my signature.

i have 2 autos that started next to 6 photos 2 months old. couldnt move light and never had time to raise them. i want to use a scrog to lay them flat and have all tops at same level. this sound ok? is there a better way?

Good one! I've never watered daily. I've also experimented with volume of water, and find 15-20% of soil volume will water thoroughly with little run off. so a 5 gallon pot would get a gallon of water, every 3-5 days

only one way to find out!

i have 2 autos that started next to 6 photos 2 months old. couldnt move light and never had time to raise them. i want to use a scrog to lay them flat and have all tops at same level. this sound ok? is there a better way?

[

:slap:But I still hate dry trimming........lol!

QUOTE="KonopCh, post: 1513436, member: 34582"]Wet trim vs. dry trim!!

After growing crops with the intent to maximize the genetic expression of trichomes and resin production, we must continue to care for the crop’s most precious and delicate floral components during harvesting. The only way to minimize damage to a mature crop of trichomes is, to allow them to dessicate fully before any trimming or manicuring is done. Fresh trichomes are just too soft and like water-balloons they will rupture if knocked or sheared off the plant.
Furthermore when cannabis crops are manicured fresh or machine trimmed while still “green”, the watery, green cytoplasm of cut leaf cells and floral parts will exude and mix with resins and oils derived from broken trichomes. This leads to the oxidation and degradation of the mixed cytoplasm fluids and trichome resins.
Manicuring fresh buds is therefore never a best practice, as it will immediately degrade the trichome content and make the crop more vulnerable to continuous oxidative damage as the buds dry. Although the damage from trimming freshly cut buds may seem tolerable, it will yield a final product that is slightly degraded, both in terms of potency and shelf-life. Buds that are trimmed fresh become brown coloured when dry, and the aroma or “nose” of the product will be noticeably different. This is like pre-maturely aging the buds; it isn’t a good starting point.
The only way to avoid and minimize damaging trichomes on mature cannabis plants is to dry whole plants to 20-25% of fresh weight before any machine-leaf-trimming or manicuring occurs. This level of dryness is when trichomes start to fall off intact; the round “head” of the trichomes break off the “stalk” cells. At 20-25% moisture content the plant’s green cells have desiccated to the point where, no chlorophyll laden cytoplasm will leak out of leaf cells when trimmed. The trimmings are also covered in trichomes, so even this fraction of the crop requires delicate handling.
[/QUOTE]

@pop22
This is a tricky one. Not sure if been touched on.
Arguing with a friend now. So I thought it would be a good one.

But if myths that might cause conflict of interest to vendors might be a bit too touchy.

So. If fair game. I'd like the foliar feeding subject touched on.

I think it works. Friend says myth. Reading on the Google says a bit of 50 50 yay and nay.

Cheers!

Back