Are Autos Easier To Grow Than Photos?

Proph

Regenerative Organic Grower
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Well.. It's taken me about 7 yrs to feel comfortable with my answer.. And it's a definite NO for me, lol.. It's crazy because the reason most of us started growing autos is because we were told how quick and easy it is.. But as I reflect on the last 5 yrs, much of my early auto grows were far from easy, lol. I mainly grow photos, so comparing the two is a constant thing for me. My photo period grows are 80% hands off.. My auto grows are the opposite. Autos require much more attention and seem to be much more sensitive or finicky than photos. Truth be told, I have YET to correct an issue with an auto. I know exactly how to correct issues, but I'm not even sure it's even possible with autos, lol. They simply switch phases of life too fast.. And once it's flowering, forget about it, lol. With photos, there hasn't been an issue that I cant resolve or correct. That's mainly because I have the time to do so.. Depending on the issue, a plant in veg can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to recover.. With an auto, you could go from veg to full flower in 2-3 weeks.. Autos don't pause or slow down, or truly recover. Another thing I couldn't do with autos?? Grow them in small pots without issues. Like one gallon or smaller.. Without fail, no matter what medium or nutrient line or grow style, issue pop up as soon as flowering starts.. Do I know why? I do now, but didn't for years. But when you first start out people will say stuff like "growing autos in big pots is a waist because the roots will never come close to filling up the pot.. So we used small pots, lol.. But looking back, every perfect auto grow that I've had, has been in larger pots.. where I have to do less and let the plant do more.
What growing autos has done for me, is make me a better grower. All the issues, led to all the questions.. Which led to years of researching and trial and error.. The issues we have growing autos, are not common to the photo period world. Many are self inflicted, but many are due to all that we DONT yet understand about autos..
But in hindsight, I definitely feel like autos are much harder.. And if your first ever grow was an auto and your still at It, hats off to you! I think that if you can, not even master, but even get a good grasp of growing autos, that you can grow damn near anything, lol.

If you have been growing both autos and photos for a while, what's your opinion? Are photos harder to grow? Or are autos as tough as it gets when it comes to growing cannabis? What are some of the difference you've noticed?

Well.. It's taken me about 7 yrs to feel comfortable with my answer.. And it's a definite NO for me, lol.. It's crazy because the reason most of us started growing autos is because we were told how quick and easy it is.. But as I reflect on the last 5 yrs, much of my early auto grows were far from easy, lol. I mainly grow photos, so comparing the two is a constant thing for me. My photo period grows are 80% hands off.. My auto grows are the opposite. Autos require much more attention and seem to be much more sensitive or finicky than photos. Truth be told, I have YET to correct an issue with an auto. I know exactly how to correct issues, but I'm not even sure it's even possible with autos, lol. They simply switch phases of life too fast.. And once it's flowering, forget about it, lol. With photos, there hasn't been an issue that I cant resolve or correct. That's mainly because I have the time to do so.. Depending on the issue, a plant in veg can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to recover.. With an auto, you could go from veg to full flower in 2-3 weeks.. Autos don't pause or slow down, or truly recover. Another thing I couldn't do with autos?? Grow them in small pots without issues. Like one gallon or smaller.. Without fail, no matter what medium or nutrient line or grow style, issue pop up as soon as flowering starts.. Do I know why? I do now, but didn't for years. But when you first start out people will say stuff like "growing autos in big pots is a waist because the roots will never come close to filling up the pot.. So we used small pots, lol.. But looking back, every perfect auto grow that I've had, has been in larger pots.. where I have to do less and let the plant do more.
What growing autos has done for me, is make me a better grower. All the issues, led to all the questions.. Which led to years of researching and trial and error.. The issues we have growing autos, are not common to the photo period world. Many are self inflicted, but many are due to all that we DONT yet understand about autos..
But in hindsight, I definitely feel like autos are much harder.. And if your first ever grow was an auto and your still at It, hats off to you! I think that if you can, not even master, but even get a good grasp of growing autos, that you can grow damn near anything, lol.

If you have been growing both autos and photos for a while, what's your opinion? Are photos harder to grow? Or are autos as tough as it gets when it comes to growing cannabis? What are some of the difference you've noticed?
Succinct and spot on!!! Autos are definitely harder and unforgiving, but the payoff....top shelf in about 70ish days is worth the hyper vigilance.
Also, container size is everything. Continue to push the smaller pot envelope, only to encounter issues.
Photos are easy, by comparison.

Now you got me scared...:eek1:

About 40yrs or so ago I literally just threw seeds (regular seeds) in the ground outside in a spot in the backyard. Watered once in awhile and let them do their thing. I didn't even add nutes. Just water from the hose. They all grew fine with no issues. Big ol' plants too. I just started trying to grow again last year. I like immediate gratification so I saw these "Autos;". Did a little research and bought a book. Book said it was easy as growing tomato plants. Well, I've only got two grows under my belt with Autos and they were not stellar by no means. I agree that because of how fast autos grow there is very little room at all, if any, to correct deficiencies once they appear. Just not enough time. I'm on a mission now to get a plan that works where the soil already has the necessary 'stuff in it to get it through to finish with just minimal input from myself. Might be awhile. Definitely not as easy as growing tomato plants. Don't let them fool ya. I'll keep on truckin' until I get it.

Now you got me scared...:eek1:

About 40yrs or so ago I literally just threw seeds (regular seeds) in the ground outside in a spot in the backyard. Watered once in awhile and let them do their thing. I didn't even add nutes. Just water from the hose. They all grew fine with no issues. Big ol' plants too. I just started trying to grow again last year. I like immediate gratification so I saw these "Autos;". Did a little research and bought a book. Book said it was easy as growing tomato plants. Well, I've only got two grows under my belt with Autos and they were not stellar by no means. I agree that because of how fast autos grow there is very little room at all, if any, to correct deficiencies once they appear. Just not enough time. I'm on a mission now to get a plan that works where the soil already has the necessary 'stuff in it to get it through to finish with just minimal input from myself. Might be awhile. Definitely not as easy as growing tomato plants. Don't let them fool ya. I'll keep on truckin' until I get it.
I guess the take away is decent pot size of 5-7 gallons, regardless of whether you are in TLO, supersoil or nutes. Don’t get discouraged and stick with it!

I know nothing about growing photoperiod plants. I can usually get >3 oz./plant in 70-90 days total.

What would be the likely result growing photos in comparable time? Or how much is your typical yield in how much time?

Very good read proph! You should be some type of growing school teacher!

Back