Bob's search for the real White Widow with Dutch Passion's regular genetics

Thanks for the rep @Mozzy :cheers:

Best of luck with your clones Bob :goodluck:
I also love seeing the pics of all the different little critters in the soil, good and bad. Cheers buddy.
Thanks you!! :cheers:
Yeah, looking so close into the soil does give one a nice impression of what kind of living organisms reside. I've also saw something with claws hiding in the dark, but wasn't able to get a shot of it. And looking so close you can also see the soil is wet enough, getting all that reflection of them particles.

Day 24 - Cloning Time
Hey Growers & Blowers :toke:

Got something else todo tomorrow so I did the deed today... :shrug:

I made sure everything was as sanitary as possible to start with... 😷
Cleaned my hands and cutting board with ISO, used a sterile scalpel. And used the cut off tops from the plastic syringes to put the Clonex in. This way I didn't waste to much of the gel. The remainder in the tops got thrown away as you're not supposed to put it back into the container. I presume this is to prevent infection next time you use it.
1711728593860 _small.jpg

First I labeled each Clonex starter cube and poked a hole in the bottom, with a thin piece of electrical wire, as I had to turn them upside down so they had a more stable footing. Then I took two cuttings from each plant, removed a tiny bit of the outer skin by scraping the sides with the scalpel. Each cutting got dunked in the Clonex gel for about ten seconds, after which it carefully was inserted in said made hole. I didn't cut the fingers of the leaves as this could possibly be a point of infection.
1711728593855 _small.jpg

After I was done, I sprayed the inside of the propagator's lid with some clean tap water and carefully put it back in place. Then closed the airholes off so humidity can rise and stay there. It's kinda crowded in there, but then there are 48 cuttings that are being rooted, so...
I'm glad I spent the money on a decent propagator with an XL high lid. As the cuttings can use all the extra breathing room they can get!
1711728593849 _small.jpg

This whole ordeal took me about one hour and a half and sitting there on my small stool for the entire time surely hurt my back, but then the deed is done and I feel I did it correctly. The light is set for 24/7 on and only at 20%.
The temperature is hovering around 24.4°C and I think I'm going to leave it at that. Going to monitor it the rest of the evening and go check on the cuttings just before bedtime.
1711728593842 _small.jpg

Wish me luck people 🤞

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Got something else todo tomorrow so I did the deed today... :shrug:

I made sure everything was as sanitary as possible to start with... 😷
Cleaned my hands and cutting board with ISO, used a sterile scalpel. And used the cut off tops from the plastic syringes to put the Clonex in. This way I didn't waste to much of the gel. The remainder in the tops got thrown away as you're not supposed to put it back into the container. I presume this is to prevent infection next time you use it.
View attachment 1674203

First I labeled each Clonex starter cube and poked a hole in the bottom, with a thin piece of electrical wire, as I had to turn them upside down so they had a more stable footing. Then I took two cuttings from each plant, removed a tiny bit of the outer skin by scraping the sides with the scalpel. Each cutting got dunked in the Clonex gel for about ten seconds, after which it carefully was inserted in said made hole. I didn't cut the fingers of the leaves as this could possibly be a point of infection.
View attachment 1674204

After I was done, I sprayed the inside of the propagator's lid with some clean tap water and carefully put it back in place. Then closed the airholes off so humidity can rise and stay there. It's kinda crowded in there, but then there are 48 cuttings that are being rooted, so...
I'm glad I spent the money on a decent propagator with an XL high lid. As the cuttings can use all the extra breathing room they can get!
View attachment 1674205

This whole ordeal took me about one hour and a half and sitting there on my small stool for the entire time surely hurt my back, but then the deed is done and I feel I did it correctly. The light is set for 24/7 on and only at 20%.
The temperature is hovering around 24.4°C and I think I'm going to leave it at that. Going to monitor it the rest of the evening and go check on the cuttings just before bedtime.
View attachment 1674206

Wish me luck people 🤞

Regards,

Nice!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
I got the largest AC Infinity Propagator with a light just for this purpose also and I'm gonna use it at the beginning to pop seeds.
I'm also using new starting pucks. They say they actually breakdown, unlike what I've used before out of similar material
Coco Coin - Rooting Pucks by Char Coir

I'm not gonna pre-soak my beans. I'm going to hydrate the pucks with Rootwise Mycrobe Complete.
Just plant the seeds normally and put them in the propagator.

Got my clone X ready And basically use the same technique you did in a muscle going to use the Coco Coin pucks prepared the same way as seeds. Since I won't be doing as many clones as you, I will be clipping the leaves and sanitizing between clones. That definitely would have been a pain to do with many clones as you have, although you could use two sets of scissors and have them soaking between clones and just wipe them off.

Thanks for the rep @R Wayne :cheers:

That definitely would have been a pain to do with many clones as you have, although you could use two sets of scissors and have them soaking between clones and just wipe them off.
That's what I did. After every two cuttings from the same plant, I wiped the blade of the scalpel with a ISO soaked tissue paper. Did the same with the cutting board and the electrical wire to poke my holes. The only thing I didn't do was use a separate cut down top to put the Clonex gel into. Felt this would have been to wasteful and besides the product has some disinfectant in it :shrug:

Day 28 New

How's everything going on with your grows?
Today I'm going to show off the mothers and fathers in their tent. It's almost time to give 'm a trim again as the shoots are stretching like hell to get that tiny bit closer to the light source itself. Speaking of light, my long awaited light should be at my doorstep any moment now. Got a mail from my local postoffice that it's on it's way to me... Let's keep our fingers crossed everything gets here in one piece 🤞
1712046399048 _small.jpg

The plants are loving their living organic soil and the little red mites, which I thought were fungus mites, are actually predatory mites. These don't harm the plants at all, but rather go on a hunting trip and eat the eggs and larvae of all other beings. That's why there are so little fungus gnats sticking on that yellow strip. :thumbsup:
1712046399039 _small.jpg

It does seem they are running out of food as they are running all over the place. Going from pot to pot and even attacking each other. :shooty:
1712046399031 _small.jpg

But all in all, the plants don't mind them at all and all are basking underneath the light...
1712046399019 _small.jpg

...which means, my DIY light isn't at all that bad. I think I'm going to use it in the greenhouse as I can hang it up higher and turn the output higher. That'll help in removing the darker spots and devide the light better over the plants underneath.
1712046399014 _small.jpg

I've placed the eight plants that didn't make the cut to the greenhouse and planted these into 10 or 15L square pots in the same soil as these plants are planted. The cold shock at night did have it's effect on them as growth isn't coming close to what the plants inside the tent are showing, but that's ok.
1712046399003 _small.jpg

I'm hoping they will react to the amount of light they are receiving now, which at the moment is something in between 10:00 hours to 10:05 hours/min.
Maybe I can at least force these to start flowering and give up something to smoke as at lately I'm craving some nice bud to roll up into a joint...
1712046398991 _small.jpg

Inside the 'clone' tent it seems the cuttings I've taken are doing their thing, but don't believe my word...Have a look for yourselves.
Speed = 30fps, duration = 90 hours. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

You can easily cut off corners of the leaves of the clones mate, as long as you use a clean scissor, but even then, don't stress it too much about that. Its actually recommended to do in order to give the clone-canopy more air/breath-ability.

High humidity in combination with overlapping leaves can cause issues, but its good you left some room between them:thumbsup:
But if you want to cut more of them next time and do it more efficiently (I always recommend cutting at least 2 clones per plant), you should trim the leaves a bit and place them right next to each other.

Another tip is to use Easyplugs as your clone medium, from all the products we tried during the years the #1

Fingers crossed the light comes in soon! And all the clones will root :bow:

Thanks for the tips Antonio :cheers:
Can you keep them easyplugs for long? I can order an entire box for 140€, trays included and free shipping. Would keep me busy for quite the while...but I must be certain they won't be molded over by next year.
The light has arrived later this afternoon. I installed it one hour before the lights came on again. I used the crossbars, which normally are installed in the top of the tent, as braces to support the light. Opted for the dimmer and power supply outside the tent so the hot parts wouldn't be in contact with the inside of the tent. The light itself doesn't produce that much heat as the temperature inside sits at 21.3°C / 70°F and that's after almost one hour of being running at 25%.
Oh, I took two clones from each and every plant. Just to up the chances at least one would survive. 🎲
Worst case, if the clones fail. I will have new material ready as I expect by next week I'll have to trim the plants again to prevent them growing into the light. I have enough of the root riot cubes left for one more go at it.

Went back to check on the new light and while I was there I couldn't help myself and checked the clones.
1712080688304 _small.jpg

Looks like they're not buckled as of yet, so I'm going to let them be for a while to come. :thumbsup:
1712080688300 _small.jpg

Some even have erected themselves. This gives me hope that everything will be alright 🤞
1712080688295 _small.jpg

Regards,

Back