Status
Not open for further replies.
Love night fishing for channel cats...good times!!

Ya I love it too. Fishing would die down around 8:30pm through about 12-1am then they'd fire shit up. Catch some here and there in between time, man I miss it. Have a good time and save like crazy on grocery bills.
My family fished often for channel cats where the Detroit River empties into Lake Erie, (not near as polluted back then). I was around 12 when my dad and I went night fishing. He was drunk and as soon as we got our poles out he went to sleep, with instructions that if he got a bite, I was to check and wake him up if it was a ("big one"}. So anyways, those cats started hitting left and right and I thought I would let dad sleep and surprise him when he woke. So I got almost 2 stringers of nice cats, when I hear a loud horn. To make a long story shorter, the anchor didn't hold and we drifted out to the middle of the channel and a big ore freighter was bearing down on us and i woke my dad. He says did I get a bite and I say no ... look. His eyes got really big and tried to start the boat, but battery was dead and he had to take cover off of boat and hand crank to start. The freighter was flashing it's spotlight at us and that big ass boat was fastly taken up all the night sky on that side of the boat. We made it, but it was a very close call. I had to grab the anchor and we lost a bunch of fish, before I realized they were still hanging off the boat. Anywho, sorry for the long fish story!:pass:

Never had the experience. I like fishing though, need to travel more. Money's just tight. Did my first shark fishing 2 years ago. Nothing major, but 2 to 4 footers. Still a shit ton of fun. Me and my boy would go out like dumb asses in a 12 foot Jon boat. Lol all kinds of adrenaline pumping. Never know if a big one was on hook, close by or what. I'm definitely going to look at getting a bigger boat though. Lol

I did a trip to my bros a few years back and looked into shark fishing...ummmm it was something like $600-1000 per person per day and that was in a shared vessel with 20 other people...lol...needless to say i was out!

My family fished often for channel cats where the Detroit River empties into Lake Erie, (not near as polluted back then). I was around 12 when my dad and I went night fishing. He was drunk and as soon as we got our poles out he went to sleep, with instructions that if he got a bite, I was to check and wake him up if it was a ("big one"}. So anyways, those cats started hitting left and right and I thought I would let dad sleep and surprise him when he woke. So I got almost 2 stringers of nice cats, when I hear a loud horn. To make a long story shorter, the anchor didn't hold and we drifted out to the middle of the channel and a big ore freighter was bearing down on us and i woke my dad. He says did I get a bite and I say no ... look. His eyes got really big and tried to start the boat, but battery was dead and he had to take cover off of boat and hand crank to start. The freighter was flashing it's spotlight at us and that big ass boat was fastly taken up all the night sky on side of the boat. We made it, but it was a very close call. I had to grab the anchor and we lost a bunch of fish, before I realized they were still hanging off the boat. Anywho, sorry for the long fish story!:pass:

Hahahaha...awesome story bud! :D :D :D

I did a trip to my bros a few years back and looked into shark fishing...ummmm it was something like $600-1000 per person per day and that was in a shared vessel with 20 other people...lol...needless to say i was out!
Can't blame you there at all. Shit for that price if your close enough to go to the ocean on a regular basis, you could buy your own shark rig lol. We didn't have much money, bit Penn reals hold up damn good, throw in halfway decent trolling rod or 7ft heavy and your good to go. Like I said we were just having fun. Stripped some cheaper reels. I can't wait until I can afford a real boat though. Lol small ones are fun, especially for your first few times.

My family fished often for channel cats where the Detroit River empties into Lake Erie, (not near as polluted back then). I was around 12 when my dad and I went night fishing. He was drunk and as soon as we got our poles out he went to sleep, with instructions that if he got a bite, I was to check and wake him up if it was a ("big one"}. So anyways, those cats started hitting left and right and I thought I would let dad sleep and surprise him when he woke. So I got almost 2 stringers of nice cats, when I hear a loud horn. To make a long story shorter, the anchor didn't hold and we drifted out to the middle of the channel and a big ore freighter was bearing down on us and i woke my dad. He says did I get a bite and I say no ... look. His eyes got really big and tried to start the boat, but battery was dead and he had to take cover off of boat and hand crank to start. The freighter was flashing it's spotlight at us and that big ass boat was fastly taken up all the night sky on that side of the boat. We made it, but it was a very close call. I had to grab the anchor and we lost a bunch of fish, before I realized they were still hanging off the boat. Anywho, sorry for the long fish story!:pass:
Great story bud. I love that aspect of fishing too. Stories to come with it lol

Great story bud. I love that aspect of fishing too. Stories to come with it lol
Thanks bro! It put a smile on my face remembering the details. There were several things I left out, like when I first heard/seen the freighter it looked like it was going real slow. I thought if it got real close, I'd just take a paddle and push away from it like a dock. It wasn't till they started shining the spotlight before I got concerned. :yoinks: Also, just getting there was a trip. dad gave me a lesson on how to shift on the column, but he was too drunk/forgot to tell me how the clutch worked. So he puts me behind the wheel for my first driving lesson pulling a boat, (on a freeway btw) . :nono: Also, after we got on the water, for the first time, I sat on the top of the seat and put my feet where you usually sit .. like dad did. He opened it up and the 1st good wave we hit, my happy ass went rolling all the way to the back of the boat ... where I stayed, (scared shitless),till we got to the fishing spot. :rofl:
PS I guess I should have labeled this part 2 :crying:

Blasting phase complete.
Hot bath time.
Let the Purge begin!View attachment 761100
jesus mate i just got minced looking at that. haha i honestly think you guys are off your heads smokin stuff like that. would give me a metldown and leave me crying in a corner of a dark room. shaking and gibbering incoherent nonesense about unicorns lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back