Darkness before harvest?

Jonny Sparksalot

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Gorilla Glue and Forum Stomper
Is this a myth guys?

I seen in people's grow journals that they give their plants X amount of darkness before harvest. I seen different hours used. Like 36-48 hours or more. I believe I seen one of the guys say it adds potency.

Any truth to this? Or is this myth?

*Disclaimer. I didn't see this on AFN.

I have a "euthenasia" process for my plants, and it entirely for my own :karmacloud:

I run hydro, 10-14 days before harvest I fresh nutes then only tip in plain water (the girls have already shown little interest in nutes at this stage)

4 days before harvest I dilute to 0.5-0.7 EC then 2 days before harvest I kill the light. (Fans still on, bubbler etc.)

I then trim them of scrap, cut off and hang in the dark for 2 days.

I then process branches and hang for 7 days, monitoring and breaking them down further to keep the dry even accross bud sizes.

Depending on factors, broken down to final nugs and sometimes paperbagged before the jars and burping.

As far as potency, final swell is concerned. I think the most important thing is care!

That said I have seen various things happen (by way of nute EC shift and last minute stretch, caylaxs opening (or closing) mainly positives like resin and density so I do this ritual)

I think some freakout, some are already dead pretty much by the time I harvest and the others just roll with it lol!

The process I go through let's me make peace with the plants I have spent so much time and care with and have given me so much joy before thier greatest sacrifice! Their medicine! :peace:

Whatever you do just monitor your environment so as not to induce mould etc!

Correct drying and time in the jars is the most important thing!

f6

I have a "euthenasia" process for my plants, and it entirely for my own :karmacloud:

I run hydro, 10-14 days before harvest I fresh nutes then only tip in plain water (the girls have already shown little interest in nutes at this stage)

4 days before harvest I dilute to 0.5-0.7 EC then 2 days before harvest I kill the light. (Fans still on, bubbler etc.)

I then trim them of scrap, cut off and hang in the dark for 2 days.

I then process branches and hang for 7 days, monitoring and breaking them down further to keep the dry even accross bud sizes.

Depending on factors, broken down to final nugs and sometimes paperbagged before the jars and burping.

As far as potency, final swell is concerned. I think the most important thing is care!

That said I have seen various things happen (by way of nute EC shift and last minute stretch, caylaxs opening (or closing) mainly positives like resin and density so I do this ritual)

I think some freakout, some are already dead pretty much by the time I harvest and the others just roll with it lol!

The process I go through let's me make peace with the plants I have spent so much time and care with and have given me so much joy before thier greatest sacrifice! Their medicine! :peace:

Whatever you do just monitor your environment so as not to induce mould etc!

Correct drying and time in the jars is the most important thing!

f6

Sounds like a well thought out process. Thanks for sharing. I will give my girls 2 days of darkness. I never tried it before. Wasn't sure if it was a stoner's myth or what.

I haven't tried paper bags yet. It's hard to find paper bags in my city. Most of the stores only have plastic. I did get some from the liquor store and put them back to save till harvest. Harvest time comes and I have no idea where I put them lol.

I read an article about growers in Amsterdam testing this out I believe it was for medicinal use. But they said some strain benefited from 72hrs in darkness, it increased the amount of trichs. I cant remember but I think white widow was a strain they said this worked for. I have wondered about this since I started growing 2yrs ago. Other than the article I have not found anyone with scientific proof, just them saying that it works???? I dont know how you could even prove it 1 way or another. I dont think it matters, I have smoked stuff that had no visible trichs and been stoned as shit lol.

I give my plants 36 to 72 hrs of darkness b4 I chop. I do this to let pots dry out as I feed right up to the day I turn out the lights. I also read some where like @Mcdee did about this increasing trichs I dont know about that either

Hey @Dabber we can dream cant we lol. I believe it was from the article, but I do do a lot of dabs hahaha. But something about the extended darkness make the plants think some catastrophic has happened, and in a last ditch effort to protect itself it produces more trich. Kinda makes a little sense, but sometime when we want something to be true we rationalize it and make it so. I hope it's true, but I know when something sounds to good to be true well you know the rest.

Hey @Dabber we can dream cant we lol. I believe it was from the article, but I do do a lot of dabs hahaha. But something about the extended darkness make the plants think some catastrophic has happened, and in a last ditch effort to protect itself it produces more trich. Kinda makes a little sense, but sometime when we want something to be true we rationalize it and make it so. I hope it's true, but I know when something sounds to good to be true well you know the rest.

I've done this 3 times in the last year I have noticed each time that I get a few more amber Trichs. I guess this is like flushing, IMO when I get a toilet in my grow room then I'll flush :funny:. Seriously tho with Autos I do think it triggers a last ditch effort to reproduce and sorta like a lunge for the finish line :shrug:

I've done this 3 times in the last year I have noticed each time that I get a few more amber Trichs. I guess this is like flushing, IMO when I get a toilet in my grow room then I'll flush :funny:. Seriously tho with Autos I do think it triggers a last ditch effort to reproduce and sorta like a lunge for the finish line :shrug:
I dont know I have to many other things to worry about lol. No, I would love to see some tangible proof. I am not saying its does or doesn't, but unless someone does 2 plants doing every the same except the light/dark period we will never really know. Some macro shots of both would be good enough to say yes or no for me. @Dabber I think I just double dared you lol. Something you could test and come back with a finding? I would love to do it but I only grow 2 at a time and have to grow and dry both in same tent(for now).

I dont know I have to many other things to worry about lol. No, I would love to see some tangible proof. I am not saying its does or doesn't, but unless someone does 2 plants doing every the same except the light/dark period we will never really know. Some macro shots of both would be good enough to say yes or no for me. @Dabber I think I just double dared you lol. Something you could test and come back with a finding? I would love to do it but I only grow 2 at a time and have to grow and dry both in same tent(for now).
I just might do this this winter

Back