Indoor DIY Build using Mod420 Frame and Parts From Northern Growlights

and mayyyybeee a heatsink upgrade! Then we can see what she'll do!

I guess a report is due here really.

The build was not as simple as it may look. You need to be paying attention to detail at all times, especially in wiring. Probably 90% of diy problems stem from wiring errors. Make diagrams BEFORE you build, don't rely on memory.
Triple check everything! Then check it again!

The moment I flipped the switch I knew I had a winner! Dimmed fully it could light my livingroom comfortably! In a 4'x4' reflective tent, at 200 watts, its BRIGHT!! At 300 watts its....... you'd have to see it for your self. I'm still trying to imagine 2 OF THEM in there........damn!

At 200 watts, the heatsinks were cool, you could rest your hand there all day. AT 300 watts, they got quite warm, so much that it concerned me. If the heatsinks were relatively hot, then how hot were the COBs under those lenses... that concerns me. I hung a 10" box fan blowing across them and the are down to 92F at the hottest point I could find on the heatsink. I've got some fans but have not settled on a design yet, I may mount them vertically next to each heatsink,

The light quality is excellent, the plants loved it, very nice growth. I'm looking forward to my next grow and see if I can find out what just this one light can really do. I'm sure I can hit 1.5gpw with it. Can I grow a pound with one, three hundred watt light? We'll find out!

Without the fancy frame, and with maybe a better driver selection, a fair amount of money could be saved. Look up the price of the parts, minus that frame. My drivers cost me about $175 for the pair, 65$ for the frame ( no longer available ) You could diy a frame for $20. But the chips, heatsinks,lenses, etc, you won't find a better deal anywhere!

I love this light. I wish they carried more parts, it would save us on shipping, but I'm certainly not complaining! These guys are awesome!

Sometime today, I hope to test my new Quantum Board light! WOOOOOOOO!

Back