Reaction score

Last week, I started incubating four different auto strains from Mephisto Genetics. I know that's a little silly, but that's what I did. ;) I purchased three strains from them with roughly equivalent cycle times and expected size. I received some free seeds with my order and rather than having one duplicate pot, decided to germinate one of the free seeds (a strain with a shorter cycle, Sour Crack). That seed opened, but no tap root came out... I germinated another seed of the same kind right away just in case the first failed to become a seedling.

I'm calling the day all four original seeds opened Day 1. I planted all four original seeds on Day 2, plus the second Sour Crack seed which is sharing a pot with the problematic no-taproot seed of the same strain, for the time being. If one succeeds and the other fails, I will delicately transfer the winner to the middle of the pot and get rid of the abortion--currently they are about 6" apart in the same pot.

In summary, I have four 5 ga. fabric pots containing:
  1. Forum Stomper (FoSt)
  2. Fugue State (FuSt)
  3. White Crack (WC)
  4. 2x Sour Crack (SC)
These are currently in pure coco coir which was rinsed to 30 ppm, conditioned with 1/16 dose of FloraSeries M/G/B and 1 dose CaliMagic, with pH lowered to 5.5-6.0. They're in a 32x32" tent with a 600w (~270w actual) VIPARSPECTRA LED at 24" (veg lights only), 6" filter, and 6" inline fan soon to be on a variac. The filter is currently smothered with a towel to limit the fan's excessive temp and humidity pull. Temp and humidity are stable around 70% and 78 degrees for the seedling phase.

day4a.jpg

day4b.jpg

(I'm a little bit proud of this insulated MDF fan enclosure :p )

Tentative plan: Keep lights (20/4) about the same until vegetation really gets going, then turn on bloom light. Reduce humidity to the comfort zone between 40-60% around this time, and lower temps to 72-74f. Slowly close the gap until lights are at 18" during flowering stage. Nutrients will be mixed into solution by syringe from now on and I intend to taper up each feeding, except CalMag which will be kept stable at 1 tsp/5 mL. I won't be topping them no matter what I urge I get--remind me of this if I get crazy. No gambles on my maiden grow. I will be using LST, though, which seems to be particularly important given I am using four different strains and a LED--I obviously need to keep these plants bush-like with a level canopy across all four. Supercropping late in the grow is possible, but only if necessary to even out light coverage.

Day 0:

Incubation in wet paper towels at 80f.

Day 1:

All four seeds opened, though SC has no tap root.

Day 2:

Backup SC sprouted. Planted all five seeds.

Day 3:

WC is now showing. Watered with pH-adjusted water. I know, WTF? First mistake as they really didn't need it already. I haven't been getting enough sleep clearly.

Day 4 (today):

FoSt is now showing. I was a little concerned that WC hadn't grown noticeably to my eyes since it broke through yesterday morning, but I was probably being crazy, and @Mañ'O'Green says it looks fine. Moved lights to 24"--they had been at 40" all this time.

seedling.jpg

This is WC, which is only a tiny bit bigger than FoSt. As I alluded to earlier, I posted in the Infirmary my concern about the color. I was afraid my watering on Day 3 had resulted in nitrogen deficiency already. Seems it's too early for such concerns, though, and hopefully I haven't stunted it. Just anxiety probably.

The next feeding, on Day 5 or Day 6, will be .5 mL (1/10 tsp) of each FloraSeries Trio solution (I'm calling them M/G/B). I'll keep CalMag stable at 1 tsp (5 mL). I intend to alternate between plain (pH-adjusted) water and nutrient water, unless people think I should instead feed every watering but with a lower concentration of nutrients. I'm still a bit conflicted about this, but erring on the side of caution for now.

That's it for now. I can post daily, but it likely won't be eventful. Digests every two days would probably be better and keep you all from tiring of my little grow, with exceptions when I have an acute concern.

Thanks to @Mañ'O'Green for encouraging me to start this journal and agreeing to follow along, and thanks to anyone else who may at some point chip in with support or advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week, I started incubating four different auto strains from Mephisto Genetics. I know that's a little silly, but that's what I did. ;) I purchased three strains from them with roughly equivalent cycle times and expected size. I received some free seeds with my order and rather than having one duplicate pot, decided to germinate one of the free seeds (a strain with a shorter cycle, Sour Crack). That seed opened, but no tap root came out... I germinated another seed of the same kind right away just in case the first failed to become a seedling.

I'm calling the day all four original seeds opened Day 1. I planted all four original seeds on Day 2, plus the second Sour Crack seed which is sharing a pot with the problematic no-taproot seed of the same strain, for the time being. If one succeeds and the other fails, I will delicately transfer the winner to the middle of the pot and get rid of the abortion--currently they are about 6" apart in the same pot.

1. Forum Stomper (FoSt)
  2. Fugue State (FuSt)
  3. White Crack (WC)
  4. 2x Sour Crack (SC)
These are currently in pure coco coir which was rinsed to 30 ppm, conditioned with 1/16 dose of FloraSeries G/M/B and 1 dose CaliMagic, with pH lowered to 5.5-6.0. They're in a 32x32" tent with a 600w (~270w actual) VIPARSPECTRA LED at 24" (veg lights only), 6" filter, and 6" inline fan soon to be on a variac. The filter is currently smothered with a towel to limit the fan's excessive temp and humidity pull. Temp and humidity are stable around 70% and 78 degrees for the seedling phase.

View attachment 933338

View attachment 933339

(I'm a little bit proud of this insulated MDF fan enclosure [emoji14] )

Tentative plan: Keep lights (20/4) about the same until vegetation really gets going, then turn on bloom light. Reduce humidity to the comfort zone between 40-60% around this time, and lower temps to 72-74f. Slowly close the gap until lights are at 18" during flowering stage. Nutrients will be mixed into solution by syringe from now on and I intend to taper up each feeding, except CalMag which will be kept stable at 1 tsp/5 mL. I won't be topping them no matter what I urge I get--remind me of this if I get crazy. No gambles on my maiden grow. I will be using LST, though, which seems to be particularly important given I am using four different strains and a LED--I obviously need to keep these plants bush-like with a level canopy across all four. Supercropping late in the grow is possible, but only if necessary to even out light coverage.

Day 0:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

WC is now showing. Watered with pH-adjusted water. I know, WTF? First mistake as they really didn't need it already. I haven't been getting enough sleep clearly.

Day 4 (today):

FoSt is now showing. I was a little concerned that WC hadn't grown noticeably to my eyes since it broke through yesterday morning, but I was probably being crazy, and @Mañ'O'Green says it looks fine. Moved lights to 24"--they had been at 40" all this time.

View attachment 933342
(Note to self: Use better lighting for future pics.)

View attachment 933341
This is WC, which is only a tiny bit bigger than FoSt. As I alluded to earlier, I posted in the Infirmary my concern about the color. I was afraid my watering on Day 3 had resulted in nitrogen deficiency already. Seems it's too early for such concerns, though, and hopefully I haven't stunted it. Just anxiety probably.

The next feeding, on Day 5 or Day 6, will be .5 mL (1/10 tsp) of each FloraSeries Trio solution (I'm calling them G/M/B). I'll keep CalMag stable at 1 tsp (5 mL). I intend to alternate between plain (pH-adjusted) water and nutrient water, unless people think I should instead feed every watering but with a lower concentration of nutrients. I'm still a bit conflicted about this, but erring on the side of caution for now.

That's it for now. I can post daily, but it likely won't be eventful. Digests every two days would probably be better and keep you all from tiring of my little grow, with exceptions when I have an acute concern.

Thanks to @Mañ'O'Green for encouraging me to start this journal and agreeing to follow along, and thanks to anyone else who may at some point chip in with support or advice.
I do feed feed then water so root zone has enough time to absorb nutes

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1. Forum Stomper (FoSt)
  2. Fugue State (FuSt)
  3. White Crack (WC)
  4. 2x Sour Crack (SC)
These are currently in pure coco coir which was rinsed to 30 ppm, conditioned with 1/16 dose of FloraSeries G/M/B and 1 dose CaliMagic, with pH lowered to 5.5-6.0. They're in a 32x32" tent with a 600w (~270w actual) VIPARSPECTRA LED at 24" (veg lights only), 6" filter, and 6" inline fan soon to be on a variac. The filter is currently smothered with a towel to limit the fan's excessive temp and humidity pull. Temp and humidity are stable around 70% and 78 degrees for the seedling phase.

View attachment 933338

View attachment 933339

(I'm a little bit proud of this insulated MDF fan enclosure :p )

Day 0:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4 (today):

View attachment 933342

View attachment 933341

The next feeding, on Day 5 or Day 6, will be .5 mL (1/10 tsp) of each FloraSeries Trio solution (I'm calling them G/M/B). I'll keep CalMag stable at 1 tsp (5 mL). I intend to alternate between plain (pH-adjusted) water and nutrient water, unless people think I should instead feed every watering but with a lower concentration of nutrients. I'm still a bit conflicted about this, but erring on the side of caution for now.

Good luck with the grow. I’m just sprouting a White Crack as we speak and also growing in coco this time. Hopefully I’ll learn as much from your grow too!

Kind regards,

HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Forum Stomper (FoSt)
  2. Fugue State (FuSt)
  3. White Crack (WC)
  4. 2x Sour Crack (SC)

View attachment 933338

View attachment 933339

(I'm a little bit proud of this insulated MDF fan enclosure [emoji14] )

Day 0:

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4 (today):

View attachment 933342

View attachment 933341

I think this will be fun to watch. You've prepped much better than I did for my first grow. You can bring the humidity down to 60% once the flowering stretch is over as they prefer more humidity, with good circulation, during the vegetative stage. Right now you're perfect and your extraction fan would bring the humidity down by the time you need to filter your air.

How often do you plan to water?

I missed something important, well two things.

You don't need the entire flora series just the micro and bloom using Heads Lucas formula for coco at 6ml of micro to 9ml of bloom at full strength.

Also you need to water your coco with nutrients every time. It is an inert substrate containing no nutrients of its own and mixing plain water in messes with your ppms which can affect nutrient uptake.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thanks, all!

@Damien50 Not sure on my watering schedule--I'm going to have to take it by ear I think. With the humidity high right now and roots not yet established, probably less often than during flowering. Next feeding will probably be tomorrow or the day after. As of now, the top of the coco is still nice and moist, not at all powdery. Now that the lights are closer, though, that may not stay true as long as it would have. I am sort of leaning toward feed/feed/water, though...

Sorry, last post.

With watering with nutrients every time, I saw you have a EC meter, if you start out around 300ppm for the first week you should be fine using H3ads formula.

Full strength is 6ml per gallon of micro and 9mi of bloom per gallon. Reduce it to 1/4 strength and with CaliMagic around 1/4 strength and your ppms should be sub 500.

I'm afraid I'm monetarily committed to the Flora Trio (plus Kool Bloom for later) this time around. I've already gone over budget. :p I will keep the ppm levels in mind, though, making sure runoff ppm isn't significantly higher.

I think a good strategy the first week, if your hesitant and to promote root growth, is to lightly water the pot the first week and then daily ensuring the coco always remains moist.

I'm doing a top feed drip in coco and I was, by choice, watering 4x a day by day four, and now six by the end of the week.
Thanks, all!

@Damien50 Not sure on my watering schedule--I'm going to have to take it by ear I think. With the humidity high right now and roots not yet established, probably less often than during flowering. Next feeding will probably be tomorrow or the day after. As of now, the top of the coco is still nice and moist, not at all powdery. Now that the lights are closer, though, that may not stay true as long as it would have. I am sort of leaning toward feed/feed/water, though...

What do you think about frequent misting the surface for the first week or ten days to keep the microclimate high in humidity? It'll be unnecessary when the roots are established, but I could see it being beneficial now...

It just makes it to where you don't need the grow portion of the three part series and only micro and bloom :)
I'm afraid I'm monetarily committed to the Flora Trio (plus Kool Bloom for later) this time around. I've already gone over budget. [emoji14] I will keep the ppm levels in mind, though, making sure runoff ppm isn't significantly higher.

Back