New Grower First grow, Earthbox and autopot XXL 9gal, Night Owl Wizard's Stash Remix

Yesterday I did a first full watering. Instead of just the regular combo (mycrobe complete and Quillaja) I have been using I added in BAS big 6 micro nutrients and Rootwise enzyme elixir. One of the plants looks a little unhappy the tips are pointing down and I think I noticed a little yellow spot on the tip of 1 of them. I think I may have a little bit too much light on them so I'm going to make some adjustments there. I had the light pulled up real far on high power to give me the PAR I needed but I believe I will lower the light and lower the intensity to get the PAR where I think it should be. I'm keeping it around 300 right now. That may be a little too much I'm not sure.
20230205_090245.jpg
20230205_090252.jpg
20230205_090315.jpg

This is three days after I did my first full watering. I also brought my light down to 20" and at 50% power instead at top at full power. Same PAR reading they just didn't seem to like that much light. I'm letting the earthboxes fully dry so I can topdress n put the covers on. I'm hoping only another day or two. I'm thinking I should have topdressed last watering. I'm not sure how long it take to become available to the plants. Anyone have any idea?
Temp 70-75
Humidity 65-70

20230207_163435.jpg
20230207_163441.jpg
20230207_163520.jpg

When you say fully watered, in the EBs, do you mean top watering and not adding water to the rez?
Their root system is not ready yet.
When ya answer that, I'll look at what you've done so far and see what kind of tips I can give ya.
You have some good stuff, but you're missing two key things for an easy EB grow. Earthworm casting and a quality living compost.
It does look like ya didn't fill up the EBs fully and that's good. You'll have plenty of room for your 'nute bank' to set up.

Check out my last grow on the first page. It shows how I set up an Earthbox. I try to only top dress twice, one at set up and one the first week of flower. Take a look at that and the end results and see if ya want my help. I'll be happy to do what I can.

When you say fully watered, in the EBs, do you mean top watering and not adding water to the rez?
Their root system is not ready yet.
When ya answer that, I'll look at what you've done so far and see what kind of tips I can give ya.
You have some good stuff, but you're missing two key things for an easy EB grow. Earthworm casting and a quality living compost.
It does look like ya didn't fill up the EBs fully and that's good. You'll have plenty of room for your 'nute bank' to set up.

Check out my last grow on the first page. It shows how I set up an Earthbox. I try to only top dress twice, one at set up and one the first week of flower. Take a look at that and the end results and see if ya want my help. I'll be happy to do what I can.
Yeah I only topwattered I haven't filled the reservoir yet. I didn't figure they were old enough yet. I was hoping the EWC in bas top dress would be enough. I hadn't thought about adding compost to the topdressing. Thanks for the tip I'll get some ordered. Lookin at your grow it seems its beneficial to add a few things to your res water. I was just going to do water only. Thank you for the help it is definitely wanted and greatly appreciated.

Yeah I only topwattered I haven't filled the reservoir yet. I didn't figure they were old enough yet. I was hoping the EWC in bas top dress would be enough. I hadn't thought about adding compost to the topdressing. Thanks for the tip I'll get some ordered. Lookin at your grow it seems its beneficial to add a few things to your res water. I was just going to do water only. Thank you for the help it is definitely wanted and greatly appreciated.
I would suggest building your nute bank now, as soon as you get your EWC and compost.
Mound it up in the center, leaving it clear around your girl. Lay the EWC out first, cover with a good layer of compost, add your Craft Blend and you can add a little of the Gnarly Barley, grind it up if it's not ground(make your own next time. It's just malted/sprouted barley) add another layer of compost. Water with the RootWise and I'd do Recharge at the same time(biodiversity) and bring up the moisture level in the mound....not soaking wet. Take a look at that first page to get an idea.
When you water your girl, add water on the wicking areas. It will help in getting that relationship established.
I cut BIG X in my cover and put the cover on. I do that at the very beginning to keep up the moisture levels of the media AND the nute mound. The nute mound needs the moisture for the 'bugs' to work their magic on it.
Ya have a couple of BAS products I can't really advise you on using, since I've never used them. Bio-phos and big 6. I assume they are mainly for flower. Other than that, I don't see any top dress for flower. Ive used BAS Build-A-Flower, but it's a bit pricy. I have Roots Organic top dressings for flower and one for terps. I also have BAS Blue Gold Flower, but it's sorta reserved for a quick fix for a flowering def. It's a liquid, so you have to apply it carefully to prevent nutes from flushing into your rez. I've used it a couple ways. Just plain sprayed of top after your short dry period......dry periods are a must. Don't keep your rez filled! And I've also taken my compost and made a wet slurry with the Blue Gold. It's something I have on hand for unexpected heavy flower feeders.

While not a 'live' product like you'd get from someone rowing worms, it is a very good product and nice;y priced.

Hope this helps. Look at my last thread for more info.

I would suggest building your nute bank now, as soon as you get your EWC and compost.
Mound it up in the center, leaving it clear around your girl. Lay the EWC out first, cover with a good layer of compost, add your Craft Blend and you can add a little of the Gnarly Barley, grind it up if it's not ground(make your own next time. It's just malted/sprouted barley) add another layer of compost. Water with the RootWise and I'd do Recharge at the same time(biodiversity) and bring up the moisture level in the mound....not soaking wet. Take a look at that first page to get an idea.
When you water your girl, add water on the wicking areas. It will help in getting that relationship established.
I cut BIG X in my cover and put the cover on. I do that at the very beginning to keep up the moisture levels of the media AND the nute mound. The nute mound needs the moisture for the 'bugs' to work their magic on it.
Ya have a couple of BAS products I can't really advise you on using, since I've never used them. Bio-phos and big 6. I assume they are mainly for flower. Other than that, I don't see any top dress for flower. Ive used BAS Build-A-Flower, but it's a bit pricy. I have Roots Organic top dressings for flower and one for terps. I also have BAS Blue Gold Flower, but it's sorta reserved for a quick fix for a flowering def. It's a liquid, so you have to apply it carefully to prevent nutes from flushing into your rez. I've used it a couple ways. Just plain sprayed of top after your short dry period......dry periods are a must. Don't keep your rez filled! And I've also taken my compost and made a wet slurry with the Blue Gold. It's something I have on hand for unexpected heavy flower feeders.

While not a 'live' product like you'd get from someone rowing worms, it is a very good product and nice;y priced.

Hope this helps. Look at my last thread for more info.
Thanks man thats a ton of great information. Can I ask why the BAS build a flower topdress won't work for the compost and EWC.

"In the Recipe:
Oly Mountain Fish Compost, BuildASoil Worm Castings, Diamond K Ag Gypsum, High P Organic Rice Bran, Thorvin Icelandic Kelp Meal, Organic Mustard Seed Meal, BuildASoil Pre Charged Bio-char with Rootwise Mycrobe Complete."

This is from their website about its contents. I did purchase some BAS Build a flower also it was just after that product picture I posted. The Bio-phos is supposed to help with flower. It's a full-spectrum soil inoculant formulated with an emphasis on microbes which mobilize Phosphorus in all soils. The big 6 It's supposed to help balance the micro nutrients in the soil from what I've read it's the same as the TM-7 minus the iron. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out and give me all this great information I really appreciate it.

Thanks man thats a ton of great information. Can I ask why the BAS build a flower topdress won't work for the compost and EWC.

"In the Recipe:
Oly Mountain Fish Compost, BuildASoil Worm Castings, Diamond K Ag Gypsum, High P Organic Rice Bran, Thorvin Icelandic Kelp Meal, Organic Mustard Seed Meal, BuildASoil Pre Charged Bio-char with Rootwise Mycrobe Complete."

This is from their website about its contents. I did purchase some BAS Build a flower also it was just after that product picture I posted. The Bio-phos is supposed to help with flower. It's a full-spectrum soil inoculant formulated with an emphasis on microbes which mobilize Phosphorus in all soils. The big 6 It's supposed to help balance the micro nutrients in the soil from what I've read it's the same as the TM-7 minus the iron. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out and give me all this great information I really appreciate it.
The Build a Flower is good for several reasons. I like it for the life that comes with it. A good quality compost will have ingredients for veg and flower, and a lot Trace elements. Build a Flower is mainly for flower. The compost gives the plant more food.....period. It's just more cost-effective. You probably could just use build a flower. I don't think it would hurt anything, but the amount that you would need to feed in veg and flower would just too costly. You got to remember, you still need vegetative nutrients in flower.
Remember, you must have phosphorus in the soil before the microbes can extract it.
Just like biodiversity in your microbes and other garden helpers, it's good to have multiple sources of ingredients that the plant needs.
This run I'm using Coast of Maine lobster compost as my main compost and the Oly as a supplemental.75/25 ratio. I have several reasons for that, but cost is mainly the reason.......shipping and initial cost. Again, multiple sources of ingredients and biodiversity that's in the composts.
Remember one thing, you're growing autos and BAS recommendations are mainly for photos, as are most ingredient labels. I always go half and see the results.
Don't worry a whole lot on what you have in the nutrient Bank as far as the amounts. Once you get the plant on the reservoir and she's taking her water from there mainly, the feeder Roots can go into the new bank and get what nutrients they need at the moment, without being forced to take up the nutrients along with the moisture. That is the magic of Earth boxes. A very key point and why you don't want nutrients washing down into your reservoir.
This is one of the key concepts that you need to grasp in using Earth boxes.
Hope this helps!

Back