My First Grow, Starting with Setup

indicalla

Two grows and nine plants in the books
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Sour Stomper and CDLC, Gnome Automatics Anvil, FB Northern Lights
Hi, AFN community! I thought I’d start my first-grow post (and my first post ever here) at the very beginning, when I’m putting together my setup.

I originally thought I wanted the convenience and discretion of an all-in-one cabinet to grow one auto at a time, so I had $1,750 budgeted. I’ve since changed my mind and decided to piece together a tent setup. I’m trying to keep my expenses to under $1,000, not including seeds/soil/nutes etc.

My goal is to discreetly grow two really nice autos at a time in organic soil.

My setup will be in my basement. My house was built five years ago, and it’s on the side of a pretty steep hill, so most of the basement is not actually underground. The point is, while it is a basement, relatively speaking it’s clean and dry. The temp remains in the mid-60s throughout the year. I’m not yet sure about the RH, so that may be something I have to adjust for, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

At first I thought I’d get a grow-tent kit, and considered this one because I want to use a Mars Hydro LED light:

https://www.mars-hydro.com/grow-kits-combo/grow-kit-2x4-tsl2000

But I’ve been reading/listening/watching everything I can to learn about growing, and since I do have more budget to work with, I thought I’d try to piece together an upgraded setup. Here’s where I’m thinking I could start my grow journey:

Some thoughts on this setup:

I only have an in-line fan and carbon filter on the exhaust, not on the intake, as that would make sticking to my budget more difficult. I think all of the kits I’ve seen only come with one in-line and carbon filter, so I assume people do this regularly, but would it be significantly better for me to have an in-line and carbon filter on both the intake and exhaust? If I just have them on the exhaust, should I add basic filters to the passive intake holes to keep the inside cleaner, like these?:

Amazon product

For the exhaust, my intention is to hang the carbon filter inside the tent, attach the in-line fan to the wall outside the tent, and exhaust it through the window dryer insert. The window is in a yard with a privacy fence and is not visible to any neighbors.

As for the drying tent, I really want to keep everything pre-curing in my basement, and I want to control smell as much as possible. I think a simple drying tent could be the best option. I feel like I could do this with a smaller and cheaper in-line fan and carbon filter, but I’m back to the intake thing that I’m unsure about. Can I leave the intakes passive? If so, should I add the filters I linked to above to them? And I assume, since these plants are no longer living and consuming oxygen, thus depleting the air, that it’s fine for me to just exhaust the drying tent into the room?

Anyway, that’s where I am for now. I’d love to hear any of your thoughts about my planned approach, ideas to cut costs, things I should consider upgrading or downgrading/dropping, etc. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks to anyone who has made it this far! :)

I wouldn't go with the 3 gal bags, use at least 5 gal bags for your autos. Your going to need nutes, the soil depending on the brand, will only get you to maybe the end of the first month depending on the strain. Nite wise there's a ton out there, for simplicity reasons I use Megacrop. But I'll be trying Geoflora my next run, again for simplicity. Good luck, looks like you have a good plan. Remember, keep it simple, don't over think it, get through your first grow without trying something fancy you saw online.

Your 60* temp is going to be a problem for you. Even with the tent closed up, the LED lighting isn't going to help much. Your going to either need to bring the temps up about 15* with a heater...

Or maybe HPS might be the right choice.
hps puts off a lot of heat. So no heater usually necessary. & because of the levels of Infra red put off by hps, you run your room between 68 and 75.

Led you'll find best growth between 78 and maybe 85.

Low temps is a quick way to undersized ladies!

I wouldn't go with the 3 gal bags, use at least 5 gal bags for your autos. Your going to need nutes, the soil depending on the brand, will only get you to maybe the end of the first month depending on the strain. Nite wise there's a ton out there, for simplicity reasons I use Megacrop. But I'll be trying Geoflora my next run, again for simplicity. Good luck, looks like you have a good plan. Remember, keep it simple, don't over think it, get through your first grow without trying something fancy you saw online.
Ah, good feedback, I went back and forth between pots sizes. I’ll switch those to 5 gallons.

My plan for soil at this point is to plant in FFOF cut with FF Light Warrior (maybe 5:1), and to condition with Fish Shit from the start, and to figure out my nutes approach a bit later since I have time. Good feedback on not overthinking things. I’m trying to be sensible for sure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Your 60* temp is going to be a problem for you. Even with the tent closed up, the LED lighting isn't going to help much. Your going to either need to bring the temps up about 15* with a heater...

Or maybe HPS might be the right choice.
hps puts off a lot of heat. So no heater usually necessary. & because of the levels of Infra red put off by hps, you run your room between 68 and 75.

Led you'll find best growth between 78 and maybe 85.

Low temps is a quick way to undersized ladies!
I really appreciate your time and feedback! I’m really hoping to be able to use LEDs, but I also need to work with reality.

To be clear, my basement is probably more like 65-67 degrees, as opposed to 60. I think what I’ll do is go ahead and order my hygrometers and get a better idea of what
My basement conditions are before finalizing light selection.

How much do you think the Mars Hydro TSL 2000 would raise the temp in a 2’ x 4’? Are we talking just a couple of degrees?

Thanks again!

I really appreciate your time and feedback! I’m really hoping to be able to use LEDs, but I also need to work with reality.

To be clear, my basement is probably more like 65-67 degrees, as opposed to 60. I think what I’ll do is go ahead and order my hygrometers and get a better idea of what
My basement conditions are before finalizing light selection.

How much do you think the Mars Hydro TSL 2000 would raise the temp in a 2’ x 4’? Are we talking just a couple of degrees?

Thanks again!
Maybe 5...tops with led. The issue arises as the girls get larger, and you begin to run the extraction constantly... we extract from the top, so pulling the warmest are out. Maybe in a small room in the basement? If no rooms... how about an 8x8 tent as a lung room?

Maybe 5...tops with led. The issue arises as the girls get larger, and you begin to run the extraction constantly... we extract from the top, so pulling the warmest are out. Maybe in a small room in the basement? If no rooms... how about an 8x8 tent as a lung room?
No rooms in the basement, but if I can get to 70 degrees Fahrenheit with the LEDs, I’m not too far off from 75, which would be good, I believe. Maybe I could add a small space heater with a thermostat and be okay?

Amazon product

That'd work fine. Make sure to have an air gap between your plant pots/bags and the floor. Concrete will do ya in and you won't know why.

That'd work fine. Make sure to have an air gap between your plant pots/bags and the floor. Concrete will do ya in and you won't know why.
Super helpful! Thanks a ton.

Im in the basement as well. It's 65° right now, and maybe 3-4° higher in the summer. I don't use a tent, just partitions with the same reflective material tents have. I use a small electric heater in the cold months. Its on the floor indirectly blowing on the pots. Using a laser temp gauge, my soil will be 70-72°. Humidity varies by the season. You just have to go with what you have, and adapt.

Back