New Grower New member, new grow. Mephisto Cosmic Queen and Mephisto 24 Carat

Day 47 with pics
Hello all. Still haven't killed them. :biggrin:

The 24C's have stopped stretching, and buds are starting to fatten up. CQ is still putting on height with lots of flowers and branches.

After much fussing, it seems that I have been too heavy with the light for a long time, maybe for the whole grow. Now that I have seriously backed off (down to half power, and up to over 30") the new growth is looking happier. @Waira what do you think?

Here they are, the CQ first:

PC150010.JPG

PC150009.JPG

The 24C that narrowly escaped the compost pile:

PC150011.JPG

And her slightly bigger 24C sister:

PC150012.JPG

The ladies had another modest haircut this morning to open up for air circulation. The CQ is still a serious bush - I would be interested if more experienced growers think I need to thin her out further.

Happy growing all. :biggrin:

@Olderfart So your lights are around 275 watts now? And 30"? Still don't feel I have mine dialed in yet. My plants been too sickly to tell whats hurting them so I settled for 22-24 inches lately.:dizzy:. Stay warm.:fire:

Hello all. Still haven't killed them. :biggrin:

The 24C's have stopped stretching, and buds are starting to fatten up. CQ is still putting on height with lots of flowers and branches.

After much fussing, it seems that I have been too heavy with the light for a long time, maybe for the whole grow. Now that I have seriously backed off (down to half power, and up to over 30") the new growth is looking happier. @Waira what do you think?

Here they are, the CQ first:

View attachment 1139393

View attachment 1139394

The 24C that narrowly escaped the compost pile:

View attachment 1139395

And her slightly bigger 24C sister:

View attachment 1139396

The ladies had another modest haircut this morning to open up for air circulation. The CQ is still a serious bush - I would be interested if more experienced growers think I need to thin her out further.

Happy growing all. :biggrin:
Looking great in there, Older! Buds are stacking nicely on the CQ! Should be a lot of long solid colas. Nicely done!

Everyone has there own opinion, and usually strong ones, about defoliation. I have seen the whole gamut. Some don't touch any fans, arguing that the plant needs fans to grow and fuel buds. Others take them all off, stripping the plants of all fans in early flower. I am in between, if a fan is blocking a budsite from direct light, I clip it.

@Olderfart So your lights are around 275 watts now? And 30"? Still don't feel I have mine dialed in yet. My plants been too sickly to tell whats hurting them so I settled for 22-24 inches lately.:dizzy:. Stay warm.:fire:
Hi @Kyote,

Sorry to hear that your ladies have not perked up yet. Are they on MC yet?

Mine are likely ~300 watts total now, I screwed in a few of the 5500k bulbs in addition to all of the 2700k, so a bit more than half of the ~500 watts hanging there. And yes, they are at about 30" which seems excessive to say the least. Whatever, the new leaves are no longer tacoed. The larger of the 24C's had a bit of leaf damage on the growing tops that I figured might still be too much light a couple days back, so that is when I decided to back way off. It seems to have improved things, but I would say the jury is still out somewhat because not all nute issues are sorted either. Same boat as you are in, but a bit luckier on how well the plants are putting up with it. I have upped the cal mag a bit, and the overall EC to ~1450. If I don't get nitrogen burn, I will be happy, but I think the ladies needed their cal mag, and it comes with EC unless I go down on the nutes, which I did not want to do given the likely micro nute deficiency I have been dealing with. No easy answers.

Staying warm is easy, but there will be some snow to deal with in the morning. :biggrin:

Good luck with your grow Kyote, I hope the MC sorts them out soon. :goodluck:

Looking great in there, Older! Buds are stacking nicely on the CQ! Should be a lot of long solid colas. Nicely done!

Everyone has there own opinion, and usually strong ones, about defoliation. I have seen the whole gamut. Some don't touch any fans, arguing that the plant needs fans to grow and fuel buds. Others take them all off, stripping the plants of all fans in early flower. I am in between, if a fan is blocking a budsite from direct light, I clip it.
Thanks for checking in @Iriee Vibez,

Yeah, I know that opinions vary on the removal of leaves. My main issue is that I do not want to get tangled with mould later because the leaves were too dense to allow air flow. All three plants were far too tightly packed for my tastes, so I have removed a pile of stuff to open things up. Mostly just shaded fans on the 24C's, but quite a few flowering branches as well on the CQ. There were just so bloody many of them there was no other way to get some air through the canopy. That lady is one serious bush.

Hi @Kyote,

Sorry to hear that your ladies have not perked up yet. Are they on MC yet?

Mine are likely ~300 watts total now, I screwed in a few of the 5500k bulbs in addition to all of the 2700k, so a bit more than half of the ~500 watts hanging there. And yes, they are at about 30" which seems excessive to say the least. Whatever, the new leaves are no longer tacoed. The larger of the 24C's had a bit of leaf damage on the growing tops that I figured might still be too much light a couple days back, so that is when I decided to back way off. It seems to have improved things, but I would say the jury is still out somewhat because not all nute issues are sorted either. Same boat as you are in, but a bit luckier on how well the plants are putting up with it. I have upped the cal mag a bit, and the overall EC to ~1450. If I don't get nitrogen burn, I will be happy, but I think the ladies needed their cal mag, and it comes with EC unless I go down on the nutes, which I did not want to do given the likely micro nute deficiency I have been dealing with. No easy answers.

Staying warm is easy, but there will be some snow to deal with in the morning. :biggrin:

Good luck with your grow Kyote, I hope the MC sorts them out soon. :goodluck:

I laugh at myself. I sat there looking down on the girls and had a "well duh" moment. The leaves about 5 inches down from the top of the canopy still green. So a few days ago I raised the lights 5 inches. Oh well. Yep, got them on the GLN regime now, and will finish them off with it. I checked the most mature one tonight and tt's thumb sized buds are sugaring up nicely, and some decent density to them. I'm taking a lot of notes and already planning my next grow. At least I'll be going into that with a bit more knowledge and experience, and a lot of changes from the current grow.

You are doing well. Keep er going:greencheck::greencheck::greencheck::greencheck:

I looked at a snow shovel @ Canadian Tire today and walked away from it :joy:

I looked at a snow shovel @ Canadian Tire today and walked away from it
It would be nice...

OTOH, our Honda snowblower keeps the shovels hanging idle mostly. It got its first warmup of the season a few days back. The skiers around here are still hoping for a lot more snow though...

How are your ladies doing after a few days on MC?

@Olderfart your girls are looking super healthy and stacking up great your going to get a nice hefty harvest also regarding fan leaves if my girls are healthy if they're in the way or to create more airflow i remove them quite heavily at times

Back