New Grower New member, new grow. Mephisto Cosmic Queen and Mephisto 24 Carat

Germination, setup for grow

Olderfart

DIY whenever possible, and sometimes when it isn't
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Various strains, via MCT oil tincture, gummies, dry flower vaping.
Hello all,

I am new here, more or less a noob, a Canadian retiree living in B.C., one outdoor grow under my belt, and a couple ounces of reasonable bud in jars as a result. The outdoor grow taught me lots, particularly about slugs, fungus knats, and mould. It was a cold wet late summer here. Given the hassles outdoor, and the fact that I am around home more in the winter, I decided to try an indoor grow. Been a lot of years since I got my hands dirty in the garden, and I found that I really enjoyed it, especially with the challenges and rewards of growing weed. An indoor grow seemed a nice solution.

So as not to test the patience of the dearest, I have kept the costs down, while trying to do the best anyway. The setup is as follows:

Grow space is DIY plywood "tent", 26"x50"x87" (~ 9 square feet, with ~6.5 feet vertical height available beneath the fan and duct). Inside grow space is painted with flat white paint.

Odour control is 6" Vivosun with 6" Canfan (yeah I know it is overkill, but the filter has a lot more capacity for the buck). The exhaust will be indoor if odour control is ok, outdoor otherwise.

A couple fans will be used for air circulation during the grow.

Lights are two panels of screw in bulbs, ~15 watts per bulb on the label, actual power used from the wall is 510 watts for the 30 bulbs I installed. The bulbs are separated into two panels of 15 bulbs each to allow independent height adjustment. Half of the bulbs are Noma 5500k, half are Phillips 2700k. I will use the 5500 to start veg, and add the 2700k in bloom.

Auto pot system is 3 xl units with smart pot fabric pots. Nominally, the pots are ~5 gal, but I folded them down and will not fill them completely, so they will be ~ 3 gallons each.

I will be using coco with perlite, Technaflora 3 part nutes, and Black Magic cal mag. I used the Technaflora stuff outdoors, and have lots left. Otherwise, I would have gone with Megacrop.

So, on with the grow. :)

I am doing three plants, two Mephisto 24 Carat, and one Cosmic Queen. The Queen will no doubt rule size wise, but I am hopeful that all three will fit.

The beans went into the CD case with paper towel two days ago, all three sprouted in between 24 and 36 hours, and all are now in yogurt containers of coco/perlite. The yogurt containers are set up as insta-transplant pots (two containers per plant, inside one with large root escape holes in the sides, plus a removable bottom). The single seed in the photos is the Cosmic Queen, who left her siblings somewhat in her dust growth wise. She drilled through the paper towel, so I had to do a towel rip extraction. :) One of the two 24 Carat seeds was the slowest, but she got there eventually.
Cosmic Queen.JPG
2x 24 Carat.JPG

The lights:

the lights.jpg

Most of the 2700k and a few of the 5500k are unscrewed for now. Mostly the lights are on at the moment to keep the temperature up (now ~26C and 65%RH in the "tent").

And, the girls in their home for the next couple months:

in their new home.jpg

Happy growing all.

And we're off. Day 1 begins with 2 of 3 showing their heads this morning. The second 24C will likely be along shortly:yay: Pics later.

Thanks Mac and Archie, I appreciate you dropping by.

Cool man. Good startup!
I started out in a closet with 4ft flourescents....
My GF gave me a 1000w hps a year later and the game was on! That was 14 yrs ago and everything has changed but still having a blast growing my own meds!

End of day one, all three have head's above ground. Cosmic Queen is ahead with the first set of serrated leaves already there. 24C #1 is not far behind, and 24C #2 is just peeking out of the soil this evening. Maybe 12-16 hours spread in timing among the three plants. Not a lot wrong with that in this noob's books. Pics of progress in the next day or two.

Cool man. Good startup!
I started out in a closet with 4ft flourescents....
My GF gave me a 1000w hps a year later and the game was on! That was 14 yrs ago and everything has changed but still having a blast growing my own meds!
The GF did you a big favor. This stuff is seriously fun!

Hello moderator, it seems that I put this in the wrong spot, could you move it to the new growers grow journal section please. Thanks for the help.

Day 3 update and photos
Happy Halloween girls on Day 3. :biggrin:

Cosmic Queen, the largest by half:

CQ.JPG

And, the two 24 Carats:

24C #1.JPG
24C #2.JPG

Happy growing everyone.

Back