Strain suggestions - bone cancer: Pain, nausea, fatigue

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm just going to post the whole story since bits will come out eventually. We have an "aging" family member who is going to move in with us. They are near the end of their time and we have the MIL apt setup already. They aren't infirm enough for a home, just need assistance and easier living. They have bone cancer which has not gone into remission, but is controlled with constant rounds of chemo which leave them feeling terrible.

They live in a legal state, we don't, and have gotten great relief with medical cannabis use. They have only agreed to move in with us if we are able to accommodate either driving to a legal state to buy or somehow continuing their cannabis routine. I don't know how to say it without making it seem like they are difficult but I understood the relief was worth too much to give up. It's brought back their ability to enjoy a day here and there again.

So I made the difficult decision to try and grow our own. I have never been a cannabis user so this is all new to me. Never even had a joint on a weekend as a teenager. My parents were far too strict and I was frankly, scared of getting in trouble. I have no animus towards those who choose to use it recreationally or otherwise. I see far more harm from alcohol and fast food!

I have been doing a ton of research and I am interested if anyone has any input on strains I should look into growing. Especially shorter plants as I have a small space to work with. The person this is for has only mentioned Jack Herer by name so far. I also read that any of the "cookie" varieties would be quite good as well?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for any help you may have!

(EDIT: They won't be moving until after the first of the year so I have some time to try and learn to grow successfully)

Hey guys,

So I'm just going to post the whole story since bits will come out eventually. We have an "aging" family member who is going to move in with us. They are near the end of their time and we have the MIL apt setup already. They aren't infirm enough for a home, just need assistance and easier living. They have bone cancer which has not gone into remission, but is controlled with constant rounds of chemo which leave them feeling terrible.

They live in a legal state, we don't, and have gotten great relief with medical cannabis use. They have only agreed to move in with us if we are able to accommodate either driving to a legal state to buy or somehow continuing their cannabis routine. I don't know how to say it without making it seem like they are difficult but I understood the relief was worth too much to give up. It's brought back their ability to enjoy a day here and there again.

So I made the difficult decision to try and grow our own. I have never been a cannabis user so this is all new to me. Never even had a joint on a weekend as a teenager. My parents were far too strict and I was frankly, scared of getting in trouble. I have no animus towards those who choose to use it recreationally or otherwise. I see far more harm from alcohol and fast food!

I have been doing a ton of research and I am interested if anyone has any input on strains I should look into growing. Especially shorter plants as I have a small space to work with. The person this is for has only mentioned Jack Herer by name so far. I also read that any of the "cookie" varieties would be quite good as well?

(EDIT: They won't be moving until after the first of the year so I have some time to try and learn to grow successfully)
Pain relief is highly individual. I would grab a list of strains your friends used with good success and post them here. Knowing what currently works will give others an idea of what to recommend.
Also, have you any growing experience? Some cultivars are easier than others.

Hey there,

I have not grown any cannabis before. I have a bit of experience with gardening and took several botany and microbiology classes a "few years ago" in college. I still have PTSD from the hydroponics lab/classes. Lol. I will enquire again what strains they have been using currently and see if I can get more direction. I will definitely update everyone with our experience when the time comes.

I'm pretty good at growing tropical plants indoors. We bring seeds home from vacations and get them going. They end up being patio plants and we bring them inside for the winters. Already have a few half assed grow lights from keeping them alive.

Funny story: We actually got knocks on the door last winter from concerned neighbors. We had a couple of the larger plants in one of our front bedrooms with the "blurple" lights showing. Invited them in and their disappointment was hilarious. Holy rollers hoping to call the police I'm sure.

Zambeza Seed's Jack the Ripper is an Autoflowering version of Jack Herer. It is a small plant at 14 to 36 inches tall, not the fastest at ~70 days germination to harvest.
I grow their Blueberry auto regularly.

Do you live close enough to a legal state to make the trip if needed? New growers do not need any more pressure than it already is to grow the first crop. The fastest plants in the right strain will really help take the pressure off of you once you have a crop in the pantry. What style of growing will you be using? Do they take edibles?

Hey guys,

heya...ya lucky greek :rofl: (inside joke, hehe :biggrin: ) given the situ, one thing i'd def suggest is doin a perpetual grow...i.e. not waitin to harvest one grow before startin another ;) i meself plant a bean, sumtimez two, every 20d, regardless...it servez 1) to make sure ur alwayz in supply of medicine, and 2) variety for the win! :yay: on a footnote (and more to the ques of the thread, lol :tongue: ), pretty much any indica heavy/full blood indica strainz are what workz best for pain, nauzea, etc...jus a matter of dialin in the onez that work best for u...or her...aw hell, u know what i mean :coffee: and well, i'd wish ya good luck, but u don't need any o' that, do ya-? :rofl: :pighug: ppp

Thank you guys! Planning on one plant to start and then if I seem to have figured it out, start one and then have another trailing it a couple weeks behind. I think that may be enough. I don't think they are a heavy or daily user. We shall see.

Do you live close enough to a legal state to make the trip if needed? What style of growing will you be using? Do they take edibles?

Great questions.

1) 6 hour round trip to the nearest state but they require a resident medical card to buy. Legality still in its infancy there.
2) Indoor soil grow. Debating an autopot or just hand watering my first time. Ill definitely post a setup review in the right section soon.
3) Yes, but I think she personally likes a small electric tabletop vaporizer thing. I've seen her use it once or twice.

Ok long drive and not legal for you. Ok no pressure :crying:.

@autobeast Has a soil grow with tried and true results and I think it is one of the easiest to duplicate. Don't try and reinvent the wheel, just do what he does and it will serve you well.

The make and model of your lights will be the choking point on how many plants you can grow at one time. It is a bit troublesome to have plants of different ages under the same light as you need to raise the smaller plant to the height of the taller plant for best growth. Many growers do it I am just too lazy.

Thanks, I was highly considering following that exact plan for my first go. The local hydro shop carries almost everything he recommends so I can pay cash and stay off the grid in terms of a credit card paper trail.

Hey DCLXVI, I'm in a similar situation growing for my wife and not smoking myself. Turns out I love to grow and despite my wife never trying weed before she loves to smoke ! Who woulda guessed, this pot thing is a hit ! Not for me mind you, I smoke and my head flops on the table and I sit in a puddle of my own drool.

So the plan was to grow autoflowers to give us the opportunity to grow out as many different varieties as possible to find the ones that helped best deal with her pain and inflammation. Along the way we hit on a lot of REALLY recreational, sleepers, and energetic highs. The ones that work well for medicinal needs seem a bit harder to find. I'm sure it's very individual , but we found that blueberry and blueberry X's work quite well. The wife really likes Dinafems OG Kush CBD for really bad days. It's something like a 15% cbd and a 8% THC.

If you ever get a grow journal up and running make sure to hit me up with a tag (@persons name). I would love to follow along and learn what strains are working and not working for you. GL on your first grow !

Back