Who says you can't top an auto ?

It’s all myths as always in this industry. Yes topping works, but there’s an art to it. Genetics plays their part and most importantly your timing. I never even top nowadays. Why top when you can LST properly and end up with far more tops with less stress

B7BCBEE7-3085-46E8-9AE7-E4A485E57E30.jpeg

I am all for topping, snapping, bending and tying down - personally the result is down to so many factors not just topped or untopped.
you couldrun a test with two starting seeds but then genetics come in to play..

some plants I have topped have turned out poor whilst the same plant untopped had good returns and vice versa with another plant

I remember running ScRogs years ago with photo plants - one plant per tent and they would always get more than 400g from a 400w HPS, would not have happened left alone - I tried many times but never got over 1gpw unless scrogged

with autos I find some love it others don’t, horses for courses - for me I tend to always push the ladies so bending and topping is part of the course - at the same time well timed LST can yield huge amounts of excellent solid nuggets - either way, I always play

below - both fully dried Autos, both were played with in different ways -

tThis plant was LST and heavy removal of fluff and my Lordy lord did she feed the five thousand
55B24EA8-5ABF-4B36-8C3C-CFE82382E87B.jpeg

where as this one was topped and trained to give 8 long colas and that is what she did (lighter for scale)
B470951B-8E9D-468D-BF58-462B722C6FAB.jpeg

many techniques and each to their own - as long as the end is result is what you are aiming for, happy days it is

Z

Last edited:
Top above the fourth node but leave ½" // 1 cm above the node. Nothing to it.

My last grow was Gelato autos, like @chuckeye, above, and I got great results.
My Gorilla Glue grow got chopped a week ago. I didn't use a trellis (last time I'll make that mistake) so I had to use paracord to keep the colas from falling over. The light in the front is for two branches that fell out of the tent. Lesson learned - use a trellis.

There was a second plant in that tent. It was in that small space on the far left. The yield from that plant was minimal - it's in the lunch bags at the top shelf on the left side of the fridge. Everything else is from the plant in the first picture.

The plants were topped and then LST'd to keep them short and fill out the tent. These plants were vegged with a Mars SP 3000 plus a blue LED puck and then using a Growcraft X3 during flower. The X3 is a red-heavy light so I think that's why some of the colas are pretty tall.

IMG_7373.jpeg

IMG_7443.jpeg
IMG_7465.jpeg
IMG_7473.jpeg
IMG_7486.jpeg

Attachments

• 1658185725518.jpeg
    1658185725518.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 32
Whatever yield you got with topping would have been more untopped. Topping makes more smaller colas opposed to fewer larger ones

Yeah, that definitely hasn't been my experience. Though with the autos topping too soon would be bad. I think I'll grow a side by side for grins.

I usually top but I threw this Sour Stomper in my tent to try and squeeze one last grow before a trip. Didn't top her, LST, nuthin.' This was supposed to be a hands-off grow to the extent possible. Just let her rip. She did great in terms of filling out the tent, light exposure, etc.

View attachment 1458003

Obviously didn't defoliate much either.
That plant did a pretty good job training itself! Sour Stomper has been on my list for awhile but maybe it's time to get it.

I did top this Gorilla Cookie girl at 5th node, but she stretched a lot and now I'm left with 2 antennas lol !!
What can I do here ?
I'm going to need some room above her in the tent...
IMG_4144.jpg

I did top this Gorilla Cookie girl at 5th node, but she stretched a lot and now I'm left with 2 antennas lol !!
What can I do here ?
I'm going to need some room above her in the tent...
Super crop the to lanky Legs at the same sort of height as the other tops, that should even things out for you

Super crop the to lanky Legs at the same sort of height as the other tops, that should even things out for you

Thank you for the input.
Is there a link out there about super cropping ? Never did that, plus it was the first time I top a plant ^^

Thank you for the input.
Is there a link out there about super cropping ? Never did that, plus it was the first time I top a plant ^^
it looks very healthy so you should have no dramas - there is plenty out there on supercropping.
Essentially, find the branch you want to bend down, at about the same height as the top of your canopy massage it a little and squeeze your thumb and finger together over the branch where you want it to snap, you will feel the 'give', dont be shy, after a very short time of doing this bend it over at the bit you mashed and it should bend/snap over without tearing the skin too much, it may need a little support for a day or two but eventually a knuckle will form and support itself. I always find the branches I do this too have big solid nugs - I understand it is a natural defense mechanism of the plant in its eagerness to reproduce, once injured it will do more to ensure its gets pollinated (possibly Bro science there).

Here is one I made earlier - you can see the snaps clearly

29F3D402-C408-4D43-8859-14A5305DCD52_1_201_a.jpeg

The same two branches a week later, and now
91EE59B7-3450-4482-A722-504670D69BBC.jpeg

DBB83B8A-52D3-4F03-8084-BDB3DB80F9F7_1_105_c.jpeg

Sorry for the shit pics but I hope it helps a little

Back